The Student Room Group

Flatmates paying a lot less than me

My flatmates are paying 570pcm and I am paying 700pcm and I don’t understand why there is a big jump. Tbh the price increase isn’t even justified bc one of the room has better furniture than me, whereas I only have one wardrobe.

I understand I should take this up with the agency and they will most likely say no to decreasing my rent. I am also worried that they may tell me to leave after the month’s over.

Any help, please?
Original post by iamjustsocool
My flatmates are paying 570pcm and I am paying 700pcm and I don’t understand why there is a big jump. Tbh the price increase isn’t even justified bc one of the room has better furniture than me, whereas I only have one wardrobe.

I understand I should take this up with the agency and they will most likely say no to decreasing my rent. I am also worried that they may tell me to leave after the month’s over.

Any help, please?

Are the agency/ LL responsible for setting the room rates or is that the tenants?

Seems like you for a bad deal, but knew the price beforehand and still signed.
Wouldnt it be good if they told you to leave as then you could find a cheaper place?
Did you shop around to get an idea of prices?

I doubt they will care.
Original post by 999tigger
Are the agency/ LL responsible for setting the room rates or is that the tenants?

Seems like you for a bad deal, but knew the price beforehand and still signed.
Wouldnt it be good if they told you to leave as then you could find a cheaper place?
Did you shop around to get an idea of prices?

I doubt they will care.

The agency set the rates and I get where you’re coming from - but I’m moving into a new city and had no idea of my flatmates rent until I got a chance to speak to them. They weren’t there at the viewing.

I assumed everyone was was paying the same - it just seems unfair otherwise :frown:

And ideally I want to stay here bc it’s close to my place of work.
Was the rent an issue for you before you knew?

We lived in a similar situation - absolutely no reasoning behind the costs of the rooms with some of our biggest ones costing so much less than the miniscule ones.

You can ask the reason behind it, but they're unlikely to budge if you're contracted at your current rent. You could negotiate around the date your contract ends but it may be the case that you're stuck until then.
The agency set the rates and I get where you’re coming from - but I’m moving into a new city and had no idea of my flatmates rent until I got a chance to speak to them. They weren’t there at the viewing.

I assumed everyone was was paying the same - it just seems unfair otherwise :frown:

And ideally I want to stay here bc it’s close to my place of work.

Honestly you should have checked.

It now appears you arent a student. This is good.

How long is your contract for? The only leverage you have is leaving. I doubt the LL will be sympathetic because they will set the rent.
Reply 5
is it the same square meters? do you have a different luxury, like a better view?

i know that the price of rent at my accommodation went down the closer it got to end of summer since they're trying to fill rooms.

why do you think the agency would ask you to leave if you asked them the question? i can't see this happening since a) you signed a contract, and b) they would have to find another tenant. they're losing money if they kick you out now.

Any help, please?

they don't have the right to ask you to leave because you just ask why it's more expensive. if you find that there is no ggod reason to pay more than the others then just leave this and look for a better deal.
They won't change it. Either they think something in your room is better or you just accepted a bad Deal, may be the others negotiated or their rooms were on the market longer so prices got dropped or they've been there a long time and it hasn't changed.

Only options are accept it or try to move out.
Be aware that if you do choose to leave you're still liable to pay the rent unless you find someone else to take over the room and contract from you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending