The Student Room Group

☆ Cambridge MML Applicants - 2019 ☆

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Accio_Cake
Hey guys, how did we all end up doing?

Ended up getting pooled from Caius to Fitzwilliam, but I got an offer for 2020 entry. :smile: Over the moon.

Got an offer for Jesus 2019 entry :smile:
Original post by tallulahthe1975
Got an offer for Jesus 2019 entry :smile:

Brilliant, well done.
99% convinced I would get rejected, and got an offer! Over the moon but also very shocked. At interviews I felt like the other applicants were soo much better than me 😅. Hope today went well for everyone.
Original post by Accio_Cake
Brilliant, well done.

Well done to you as well :smile:
Original post by vessel
Congratulations!!! :biggrin: I got an offer from Trinity Hall, I'm so shocked because I thought I had no chance!

Well done! That’s amazing! :smile:
Reply 125
Got unconditional from Trinity!!! Such a relief :smile:
Original post by val508

Omg see you there! I got a Trinity offer too :smile: we might even be supo partners lol
Original post by val508

Well done!!
Original post by Pamplemousse19
99% convinced I would get rejected, and got an offer! Over the moon but also very shocked. At interviews I felt like the other applicants were soo much better than me 😅. Hope today went well for everyone.

Congrats! Which college?
Reply 129
Original post by Quirky Object
Omg see you there! I got a Trinity offer too :smile: we might even be supo partners lol

Oh, I am sure we will be!!!:smile:
Reply 130

Are you applying for Choral Award? :biggrin:
Original post by val508
Are you applying for Choral Award? :biggrin:

I'm thinking about it; I do sing (and I do grades so I have experience with sight singing etc) but I haven't been in a choir since like year 9 and I'm more into musical theatre than choral-style music. On the other hand it's the Trinity Chapel Choir sooo is it worth a shot just because it'd be really cool to be part of such a prestigious choir? I don't think I'd get in anyway since I'm not used to singing that sort of stuff.
Reply 132
I'm thinking about it; I do sing (and I do grades so I have experience with sight singing etc) but I haven't been in a choir since like year 9 and I'm more into musical theatre than choral-style music. On the other hand it's the Trinity Chapel Choir sooo is it worth a shot just because it'd be really cool to be part of such a prestigious choir? I don't think I'd get in anyway since I'm not used to singing that sort of stuff.

It certainly worth to try!!!
Hey guys, congrats on all your offers! Did anyone get an offer from Christ's?
Yikes my offer specifies that I have to get an A* in French or German, it's gonna be tough
Original post by bradmsj
Yikes my offer specifies that I have to get an A* in French or German, it's gonna be tough

Oof, Cambridge aren't here to play.. I'm still waiting for my offer grades to be sent in the post..
Original post by bradmsj

Mine specifies getting an A* in French too. Honestly no-one gets A*s in French at my school. I'm going to have to work so hard.
@SosbanFach I'm so sorry that this is such a late reply - but can I just thank you so much for these recommendations! They have been such a help towards becoming more wider read/more knowledgeable. I have to say, I'm completamente enamorada de Guillermo Del Toro's films. I really enjoyed Ficciones too. The world needs more people like you! Lifesaver 👌
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I am fully aware that this chat is long gone by this point but it is too early for the 2020 equivalent of this so I may as well ask my question here!!

I want to apply to do Spanish (post A level) and Russian (ab initio) at either Downing or Queens' (really struggling to decide!!) and was after some advice about what I could do over the summer to prep for applications and useful things to put on my personal statement.

The other query is that Queens' said on their website that the students usually take a gap year to work and immerse themselves in the language and I was wondering if it would hurt my chances if I didn't take one? I have done work experience in Spain before but only for two weeks and I can't really afford a gap year out there (along with the issue of finding a job in a country where unemployment is quite high).

Wishing all of you luck for results day!!
Original post by LucyLu223
Hi, I am fully aware that this chat is long gone by this point but it is too early for the 2020 equivalent of this so I may as well ask my question here!!

I want to apply to do Spanish (post A level) and Russian (ab initio) at either Downing or Queens' (really struggling to decide!!) and was after some advice about what I could do over the summer to prep for applications and useful things to put on my personal statement.

The other query is that Queens' said on their website that the students usually take a gap year to work and immerse themselves in the language and I was wondering if it would hurt my chances if I didn't take one? I have done work experience in Spain before but only for two weeks and I can't really afford a gap year out there (along with the issue of finding a job in a country where unemployment is quite high).

Wishing all of you luck for results day!!

Recently-graduated MMLer here! I'd recommend doing a bit of reading over the Year 12 summer, whatever you're interested in that relates to the languages you want to study, whether that's literature, watching films, politics, history, linguistics, whatever. That should give you a good base for a personal statement to help signal to the interviewers where your interests lie.

Are you sure that on the Queens' website isn't referring to the year abroad? I've never come across any college suggesting that MMLers ought to take a gap year before they start, and most MMLers (including me and AFAIK all the Queens' MMLers I know) don't do a gap year. It shouldn't disadvantage your application if you don't take one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending