The Student Room Group

Which subject should I drop?

Okay so my school have given us a deadline to drop our 4th subject by this Friday and I need advice. Iโ€™m taking Maths with gcse result 8 and A in further maths. Psychology with a 9 in science. German with a 7 at GCSE and history with a 9 at GCSE.
Iโ€™m definitely keeping history as that is the subject I want to read at uni. However I have no idea between the other 3. To do this I need AAA at A-level
Maths- I like maths however am worried that Iโ€™m not good enough at it to get an A which I really need but I know it is a highly regarded subject which keeps my options open and I do enjoy it tho not my fave
German- I love learning german and did really well in my listening reading and writing exams but my speaking always lets me down. I want to do something for the civil service so extremely useful subject BUT Iโ€™ve heard itโ€™s really hard and unsure if I can get an A with only a 7(1 mark off an 8) at gcse.
Finally psychology- I find this really interesting and think that an A* could be in reach for this subject. However, I know it is seen as a soft subject and the teachers at my school are not particularly good for this subject. Also I know that if I did want to read it at uni I still could with maths a level.
WHAT are your guys opinions? Any advice on which subject to drop?
If youโ€™ve decided on history at uni, I would say drop maths. Yes its a highly regarded subject, but you say you worry you may miss the A grade in it, so itโ€™s better to get an A* in psychology (a โ€˜softerโ€™ subject) than a B in maths. Also, it isnโ€™t related to your degree choice and imo an unnecessary worry.
Original post by Harrietcrossin
Okay so my school have given us a deadline to drop our 4th subject by this Friday and I need advice. Iโ€™m taking Maths with gcse result 8 and A in further maths. Psychology with a 9 in science. German with a 7 at GCSE and history with a 9 at GCSE.
Iโ€™m definitely keeping history as that is the subject I want to read at uni. However I have no idea between the other 3. To do this I need AAA at A-level
Maths- I like maths however am worried that Iโ€™m not good enough at it to get an A which I really need but I know it is a highly regarded subject which keeps my options open and I do enjoy it tho not my fave
German- I love learning german and did really well in my listening reading and writing exams but my speaking always lets me down. I want to do something for the civil service so extremely useful subject BUT Iโ€™ve heard itโ€™s really hard and unsure if I can get an A with only a 7(1 mark off an 8) at gcse.
Finally psychology- I find this really interesting and think that an A* could be in reach for this subject. However, I know it is seen as a soft subject and the teachers at my school are not particularly good for this subject. Also I know that if I did want to read it at uni I still could with maths a level.
WHAT are your guys opinions? Any advice on which subject to drop?

Keep maths; it opens up many opportunities. Idk about German but it can be extremely tough (same goes for all Modern foreign languages). I haven't got a clue about psychology but it depends what you think is best for your future courses. Follow your instinct and do some research into jobs with these subjects. Best of luck!
Original post by Your Local Dog
Keep maths; it opens up many opportunities. Idk about German but it can be extremely tough (same goes for all Modern foreign languages). I haven't got a clue about psychology but it depends what you think is best for your future courses. Follow your instinct and do some research into jobs with these subjects. Best of luck!

Thanks, Iโ€™m pretty certain to keep maths bc my teacher says I can get an A so just gotta decide between dropping German or psychology
I'm taking German and Psychology at A level as well lol. It really depends on what career you you are thinking of going into after uni and which you think would help you the most! :smile:
Original post by iiStrawBerry17
I'm taking German and Psychology at A level as well lol. It really depends on what career you you are thinking of going into after uni and which you think would help you the most! :smile:

How are you finding Germany? And what are you planning to do at uni lol?
why not try all 4 at first and then see which one you are struggling with/ not liking.

Quick Reply

Latest