The Student Room Group

Here We Go AAAAAAAAAAAgain - moonrise repeats Year 13

Poll

How do -you- pronounce SQL?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hello and welcome, stranger on the internet! Nice of you to visit.
I’m moonrise, I’m obviously a student, I’m not the sort to tell people lots about myself, and that’s really all you need to know.

Probably none of you remember my failure at trying to do a grow your grades last year* as I staggered through what I thought was my last year of sixth form.

Due to the fact that this thread exists, you’d probably have figured that I did dismally. Fortunately for me, because of my extenuating circumstances my sixth form has kindly allowed me to repeat the year.

The entire point of the next year is so that I don’t mess up again, so I’m pulling out all the stops to stay motivated!... by making a record of my studying on the internet so that people who don’t know me can stalk** my progress if they’re so inclined.

My grades:

Spoiler

Achieved grades
- Somewhere between A and U… leaning towards the right… in other words I shall adamantly refuse to talk about them

Goal
- I dream of A*s but realistically As.

*My blog last year-ish was called "My AAAAAAAAA-Level Rescue Mission" - amount of screaming AAAs may vary, terms and conditions apply, something something something
Also, by AAAAAAAA I mean screaming like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBLdQ1a4-JI

**In a healthy, non-creepy way… or so I hope, anyways.

***My teachers and I agreed that I should never touch Physics again with a thousand yard stick

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck!! Are your extenuating circumstances still affecting you atm?
Reply 2
Original post by nells45581
Good luck!! Are your extenuating circumstances still affecting you atm?

Thank you! Unfortunately yes and it'll probably be a while as well. Though I'm trying my best to do well regardless : )
Original post by moonrise
Thank you! Unfortunately yes and it'll probably be a while as well. Though I'm trying my best to do well regardless : )

i'm sure you can do it!
Reply 4
Progress today (and yesterday because I was terrified of double posting)

Completed one exercise from Further Maths textbook

Completed review sheet for discrete random variables (further maths).

Still to do -

Two exercises for maths homework

A worksheet on IP addresses as computer science homework

Summary revision sheets for computer science topics done so far in the year (Instead of writing detailed notes like last year which was really time consuming I'll just make end of topic brief overviews, so I can have something to look at if I forget something when doing practice. So far it's been far more time efficient and also saves paper!!)

Reply 5
So I decided that updating every half a week or so would help me not fall into the chasm of distraction and procrastination that is this website... unfortunately I forgot to factor in my questionable memory and now I can't really remember precisely what I did during the last few days. Though it went a little something like this:

- Did that maths and computer science homework I mentioned above, plus some further maths homework.
- Also started to catch up on some topics that weren't on my spec but are on the new spec
- The week was surprisingly homework-light, though I wasn't that productive with my free time, admittedly.

In an attempt to actually make use of this I'll go into a bit more detail in future about what I've done and what I need to improve on. It'd be enough to help myself and get advice but hopefully not enough to make myself identifiable.

I have to finish a review sheet for tomorrow, though I've done most of it in advance over the past few days because I'm double-trying to do well now. There's also some stuff I've got to hand in next week, though let's go one day at a time or I might spook myself (especially since spooky season Halloween month is coming)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
I've just finished that review sheet I talked about earlier on the topic of geometric series! I couldn't do the last question where I had to prove the summation formula - I ended up with something that didn't look very much like the actual thing (no fraction), so I suspect I'm missing a trick, or I might have needed proof by induction (I remember the name and the vague idea but not any of the details on how to actually do it)

It also occured to me that I should probably go back through my notes this week and update my summary sheets with the "new" information before I do any homework that gets set to make it easier for myself. (I'm sure there will be some, I realised the reason I didn't have much to do was because a lot of the stuff set was just to finish something I already completed in class or to finish the previously set homework, which I already did, to my own surprise mind you)

Goodnight, hypothetical reader!
Good luck on your studies! I’m sure you’ll do amazing x
Reply 8
Original post by krissxkross
Good luck on your studies! I’m sure you’ll do amazing x

Thank you! I hope so :')
Good Luck! Please tag me so I can get updates without missing them :hug:
Idk if you're tagging people but if you are... :tongue: Can you tag me?
Reply 11
I feel a bit bad about myself for not logging my progress much this week - I suppose I've not felt really into it, though I'm feeling a little bit more into it now I've done some of my hobbies (and watched hours of comedy panel shows), with the side effect of eating up a lot of my time after class :')
(That'll probably also explain why the tone of my posts might fluctuate a lot, as well as how much or little information I want to divulge - just depends on how I'm feeling really, nothing more than that.)

Regardless, and somewhat to my own surprise, I've actually managed to do all my homework and relived the primary school feeling of "wanting the teacher to ask you a question so you can prove your newfound knowledge". So that's a start!
Probably what contributes to it is that I've got double the free periods I had last year and that one of my subjects is an AS so I have less content from two years ago I need to look back on... if that makes any sense.

I've done some things to help myself this week - I've almost always found myself with maths questions I can't do, so I've been getting into maths workshops during most of my frees, getting help with those questions, though I think that the guy who runs it might get a bit annoyed at me at this point!
(also because the people in the working areas will NOT shut up even though it's a silent study zone and it honestly does my head in - they can go literally anywhere else but they have to either 1) chat loudly in the silent study zone and eat in there when it's not allowed, making everything disgusting and crumbly, then just leave their trash there or 2) stand RIGHT outside the tuck shop and make it impossible to queue, then tut at you and push you when you try to actually buy food... okay, rant over, thanks for listening)

I still think that logging what I do to some extent here will help me, because it's good to consolidate what you do and because my head is in a jumble and I can't exactly remember what I've done and what I have to do. Here's my best attempt at a quick summary, good grief this post is getting long:

- I taught myself the sums and products of moduli and arguments when you multiply or divide complex numbers by each other (Have no clue how to explain the concept in words)
- Did stuff with sums and products of the roots of polynomials and battled against horrifying algebra
- Learnt about the concept of stacks and queues (again) and failed spectacularly at trying to implement a dynamic array for the ridiculous reason of indexing from the wrong number.
- Re-learnt (it's not exactly revising but not exactly learning it from scratch?!) the chain, product and sum rules, and this weird differentiation concept that I haven't quite understood yet, because it wasn't on the old spec. I'm not mentioning it because it's probably a really simple concept and I'll make an utter fool of myself.
- Re-learnt how to split things into partial fractions. I remembered the compare coefficients method as I did something very similar with complex numbers - however I somehow forgot the method I actually used far more frequently last year, which was to substitute values and cancel out variables.
- Told what people have claimed is my best joke yet, though unfortunately it makes no sense out of context and so I can't retell it here.

And now I will try and piece together the homework, because I intellegently left my homework diary at home for three days in a row, due to the fact that I couldn't find it, because it was underneath 1 (one) sheet of lined paper.
- Review my plans for my second attempt (thank goodness) at a Computer Science project
- Differentiation worksheet
- Something about the application of complex numbers
- Something about computer viruses and their effects
- I have an uncomfortable feeling there is something I'm missing and I just can't remember what it is

Personal revision plans
- Go back over that one worksheet I was given that I forgot existed and just never did anything
- Write some summary sheets for the Internet topic in Computing (I think my old notes will do fine for the Lists topic, but my Internet notes are really bare and it was my weakest topic, despite the amount of time I spend on the hecking thing)
- Go over notes from this week and update my summary sheets
- Marginally related - get a new ink for my pen (I've somehow made it four days on an ink cartridge that looks essentially empty)
- Practice for the Maths Challenge, which I've signed up for - only got silver last year by sheer luck that I was just on the boundary, so I'd quite like to get a more "legitimate" silver, or even a gold! I'm not sure if they'll still let me do it, though.
- And of course that thing I forgot about that is going to come back at me sometime.
Reply 12
Original post by emilynxlan
Good Luck! Please tag me so I can get updates without missing them :hug:

Original post by Bill Nye
Idk if you're tagging people but if you are... :tongue: Can you tag me?

Thank you for taking an interest, I suppose! How do I do that?
Reply 13
Just finished another section of the Differentiation worksheet, just got one more part of it to go!
Reply 14
EDIT: Figured out how to do a tag list, which was super obvious in hindsight - sorry for being a forum noob, I've been quite inactive.
Here you go - @emilynxlan @Bill Nye

I've been down with the flu the whole week last week, matter of fact, though it only got really bad the last three days, hence the lack of update - I just slept a lot trying to get better. I took the day off today and will probably have to tomorrow due to the fact that I can't really breathe (terrible blocked nose and sore throat making it hard to breathe through mouth - not a good combination at all). Special thanks to the weather for being so erratic that I'd either go out in a coat only to hold the whole day, or go out in a tshirt and freeze (!)

It goes without saying that I didn't get much done over the weekend because of that. Nevertheless, on Friday I did push through and finished the Differentiation worksheet (which in total took over THREE AND A HALF HOURS to finish - what has happened?!) only to find that they added a bit on after I printed it off : ' ( Though I honestly feel too weak to start doing it right now - maybe tommorrow. I also went to get some help about a question I had trouble with that I did in my spare time, and inadvertently did the Further Maths homework (I didn't realise we just happened to be set that question), so I lucked out there.
I checked and apparently more homework has been set today, which I can technically do as I was there for the lessons before today, and could check my old notes for most of it (just one thing I'm not sure I ever did). If I manage to get up at a reasonable time tomorrow (geniunely slept over 12 hours last night whoops) I might try and get all these things done as well as what I need to do so I can catch up. I'm aware there's a few videos I have to watch and some exercises since we were warned about them beforehand, but I'll have to ask someone about the rest.

For now, I'll probably just lie there trying to stop feeling like I've been punched all over - I don't think I've had such a bad care of flu in a very long time : (
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by moonrise
EDIT: Figured out how to do a tag list, which was super obvious in hindsight - sorry for being a forum noob, I've been quite inactive.
Here you go - @emilynxlan @Bill Nye

I've been down with the flu the whole week last week, matter of fact, though it only got really bad the last three days, hence the lack of update - I just slept a lot trying to get better. I took the day off today and will probably have to tomorrow due to the fact that I can't really breathe (terrible blocked nose and sore throat making it hard to breathe through mouth - not a good combination at all). Special thanks to the weather for being so erratic that I'd either go out in a coat only to hold the whole day, or go out in a tshirt and freeze (!)

It goes without saying that I didn't get much done over the weekend because of that. Nevertheless, on Friday I did push through and finished the Differentiation worksheet (which in total took over THREE AND A HALF HOURS to finish - what has happened?!) only to find that they added a bit on after I printed it off : ' ( Though I honestly feel too weak to start doing it right now - maybe tommorrow. I also went to get some help about a question I had trouble with that I did in my spare time, and inadvertently did the Further Maths homework (I didn't realise we just happened to be set that question), so I lucked out there.
I checked and apparently more homework has been set today, which I can technically do as I was there for the lessons before today, and could check my old notes for most of it (just one thing I'm not sure I ever did). If I manage to get up at a reasonable time tomorrow (geniunely slept over 12 hours last night whoops) I might try and get all these things done as well as what I need to do so I can catch up. I'm aware there's a few videos I have to watch and some exercises since we were warned about them beforehand, but I'll have to ask someone about the rest.

For now, I'll probably just lie there trying to stop feeling like I've been punched all over - I don't think I've had such a bad care of flu in a very long time : (

:frown: hope you'll be alright soon :tongue:

PRSOM
Reply 16
Original post by Bill Nye
:frown: hope you'll be alright soon :tongue:

PRSOM

Thank you!
Reply 17
Oh boy, I can't sleep because I just find it hard to breathe even more when I lie down properly, so I'm in this half lying half sitting position answering threads, because it makes me feel good to be able to help other people - solved a maths question and felt pretty chuffed with myself, actually. Though I didn't realise the time so now I'll try and sleep again. Won't tag on this post in case you have the phone app and I wake you up in the middle of the night (I'm assuming it sends push notifications)
Reply 18
As I predicted I took the day off again, but I feel much better and will probably go to college tomorrow.
This morning I attempted a maths question I saw on these forums and actually found out there was a formula to find the nth term when the common difference is changing, which I didn't know about before, but I have a feeling it will be useful at some time in the future. I also found out you can't just substitute the nth term formula into itself even though the common difference could form a sequence.

I've also watched through all the videos I had to catch up on and it was quite interesting, actually - they were about applications of complex numbers. Though I'm not too sure that'll actually be examined on :')

I need to double check what I've missed today so I can speedily catch up, and I've got a worksheet to do. But first I'll take a break now. I've been either lying down or sitting down for far too long now!

Tag list: (am I supposed to do this for every post or just once a day? I don't know but let's see)

Spoiler

Hi @moonrise,
What subjects do you do for A-Levels and what are the exam boards? I'll try to send you resources if I have any for your subjects :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending