It's time to draw the line! DTL's attempt at managing her money Watch

DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey friends

I'm determined to stop spending money on unnecessary rubbish at uni this year. I have habits of being really good with money and then "rewarding" myself by buying random crap I don't need and then I feel bad about myself. This needs to stop!

So I decided to start this blog to try and encourage myself to keep up with good spending. I'll be writing how much I spend each day and how much of that money was a necessary purchase. Hopefully with some support from you guys as well, because I can't keep on the way I am! It's time to draw the line
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
good luck! :rave:
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Day 1 - 23-09-18

Yay day today spent absolutely nothing. Great start! :party:
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Day 2 - 24-09-18

Another great day spending nothing proud of myself so far!
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Day 3 - 25-09-18

Okay day today, total spend £0.95 on a sausage roll. Ended up being my dinner so tbh a pretty cheap meal!
Ben878
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck, it's way too easy (quick) to purchase stuff now...have you considered making it hard (more effort that it's worth) to purchase stuff like only taking small amount of change to shops rather than big notes & card and not saving payment details online? 2nd one really helped me

Take care
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:woo: good luck dtl, I need to start one of these; having the option to go out for lunch is draining my money:cry:
also sausage roll:gah/
ebam_uk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Day 3 - 25-09-18

Okay day today, total spend £0.95 on a sausage roll. Ended up being my dinner so tbh a pretty cheap meal!
Why not just make the sausage roll?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Love for Love)
Good luck, it's way too easy (quick) to purchase stuff now...have you considered making it hard (more effort that it's worth) to purchase stuff like only taking small amount of change to shops rather than big notes & card and not saving payment details online? 2nd one really helped me

Take care
Yeah I've thought about that but then I'm scared of being in an emergency and needing money but only having like £5
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
:woo: good luck dtl, I need to start one of these; having the option to go out for lunch is draining my money:cry:
also sausage roll:gah/
You can do it!
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by ebam_uk)
Why not just make the sausage roll?
I didn't have the things to make it and didn't want to make one. It would be more expensive to buy the stuff for it than to buy it. Plus I didn't plan on having it for dinner
ebam_uk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I didn't have the things to make it and didn't want to make one. It would be more expensive to buy the stuff for it than to buy it. Plus I didn't plan on having it for dinner
Bare in mind you could make say a batch of sausages and perhaps even sell some or a fraction to recover the initial spend + profit from a business angle..
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by ebam_uk)
Bare in mind you could make say a batch of sausages and perhaps even sell some or a fraction to recover the initial spend + profit from a business angle..
Not interested in doing that but thank you
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Day 4 - 26-9-18

Another good day, I only spent £1.10 on crumpets. I was tempted to buy some junk food like cheesecake but I successfully resisted!
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Day 5 - 27-9-18

A £0 spend day today yay! Even though I had the opportunity to look in shops today I was strong and decided not to in order to avoid temptation, proud of myself
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Day 6 - 28-9-18

This is going pretty well so far, no spending today either!
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
are you living with your parents?

otherwise I can't see how you can spend that little on food.......
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANM775)
are you living with your parents?

otherwise I can't see how you can spend that little on food.......
No I'm sharing a flat. I do one weekly shop at the weekend and cook meals in bulk so I don't spend too much on food. I almost never buy food out which saves a lot. I buy own brand foods too for almost everything and that really helps cut down the cost.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Day 7 - 29-9-18

Well today involved some big spends. Over £1k spent on flights and travel insurance to go and see my boyfriend over Christmas, but he will be paying half so technically I only spent around £600. Then I also did my food shop and spent £16.60 for the week, which is pretty decent. I resisted temptation to buy unnecessary junk foods or pretty things for the house, so I'm going to say this is another successful day!
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Then I also did my food shop and spent £16.60 for the week,

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I spend that a day. I'm flabbergasted. What did you buy? :gasp:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (75)
73.53%
No I haven't decided yet (15)
14.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (12)
11.76%

Watched Threads