The Student Room Group

It's time to draw the line! DTL's attempt at managing her money

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 8472
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I spend that a day. I'm flabbergasted. What did you buy? :gasp:

I already had some food at home so it's not as much as it could be! I'll try to remember what I bought :biggrin:

Butternut squash, yoghurts, sweet and sour sauce, eggs, Nutella, almonds, peppers, half a cucumber, mayo, tuna, carrots. I think that was everything!
Reply 21
Original post by DrawTheLine
I already had some food at home so it's not as much as it could be! I'll try to remember what I bought :biggrin:

Butternut squash, yoghurts, sweet and sour sauce, eggs, Nutella, almonds, peppers, half a cucumber, mayo, tuna, carrots. I think that was everything!

Interesting :beard: What sorts of meals will you end up having? Im guessings lots of tuna pasta salads :yum:
Original post by 8472
Interesting :beard: What sorts of meals will you end up having? Im guessings lots of tuna pasta salads :yum:

Not quite haha! I'm planning on having pasta with a tomato sauce (I add tuna and sweetcorn to it) on Monday and Tuesday, sweet and sour chicken with rice on Wednesday and Thursday, and then butternut squash soup the rest of the week. Breakfast will be either fruit and fibre cereal, crumpets with Nutella or just tea and a banana. Lunch will be tuna and cucumber wraps, sweet chilli chicken wraps, supernoodles or soup. And then snacks are just almonds, bananas, cereal bars and yoghurts.
Reply 23
Day 7 - 29-9-18

Well today involved some big spends. Over £1k spent on flights and travel insurance to go and see my boyfriend over Christmas, but he will be paying half so technically I only spent around £600. Then I also did my food shop and spent £16.60 for the week, which is pretty decent. I resisted temptation to buy unnecessary junk foods or pretty things for the house, so I'm going to say this is another successful day!

Ditch the oversee's bf and replace with one in the UK, then you won't need to spend thousands of pounds visiting him ..and won't have to bugdet with amounts like £16.60 each week on food.

Am I a genuis or am I a genuis? :biggrin:
Reply 24
You are an advertiser's dream, I sugest you get AdBlock and avoid all ads and materialistic shows and people.
Original post by ANM775
Ditch the oversee's bf and replace with one in the UK, then you won't need to spend thousands of pounds visiting him ..and won't have to bugdet with amounts like £16.60 each week on food.

Am I a genuis or am I a genuis? :biggrin:

Even if I didn't have a boyfriend I don't see the point in spending ridiculous amounts on food.
Reply 26
Even if I didn't have a boyfriend I don't see the point in spending ridiculous amounts on food.

I'm a guy who likes his food.

Typically spend around £50 a week on food if working part time or unemployed
Typically spend around £90 a week on food if working full-time

So as you can imagine, seeing the amount you were spending on food .. kinda triggered me lol [as i could never survive on that]

oh, and my BMI is within the normal range in-case you're wondering. Definately not a fatty
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
I'm a guy who likes his food.

Typically spend around £50 a week on food if working part time or unemployed
Typically spend around £90 a week on food if working full-time

So as you can imagine, seeing the amount you were spending on food .. kinda triggered me lol [as i could never survive on that]

oh, and my BMI is within the normal range in-case you're wondering. Definately not a fatty

We must eat very different amounts!
Reply 28
We must eat very different amounts!

I probably do eat more, ...but then again I have various food intolerances and buying some food items can be upto 3x more expensive. Also i'm pretty lazy when it comes to cooking ...so will tend to buy food like microwaveable rice, and hot cooked chicken from sainsburys ...which is a lot more expensive than if you were to cook it yourself or buy it frozen. Also tend to do walk at least 2 miles a day, ...also go to the gym as well twice a week .. meaning surlpus calories is burned or converted to muscle

If i'm spending £90 a week, i'm usually buying extras like appletiser and spending like £2-3 of fruit each day. [which tbh arn't very calorie rich]
also I was eating two dinners at one point, but the job was so physically demanding that you actually needed that second dinner

I probably do eat more, but I probably burn more as well
also I guess a lot of stuff I buy I could get for cheaper if i was willing to spend ages cooking it
Original post by ANM775
I probably do eat more, ...but then again I have various food intolerances and buying some food items can be upto 3x more expensive. Also i'm pretty lazy when it comes to cooking ...so will tend to buy food like microwaveable rice, and hot cooked chicken from sainsburys ...which is a lot more expensive than if you were to cook it yourself or buy it frozen. Also tend to do walk at least 2 miles a day, ...also go to the gym as well twice a week .. meaning surlpus calories is burned or converted to muscle

If i'm spending £90 a week, i'm usually buying extras like appletiser and spending like £2-3 of fruit each day. [which tbh arn't very calorie rich]
also I was eating two dinners at one point, but the job was so physically demanding that you actually needed that second dinner

I probably do eat more, but I probably burn more as well
also I guess a lot of stuff I buy I could get for cheaper if i was willing to spend ages cooking it

Yeah I cook pretty much everything myself and I rarely allow myself to buy food on the go. It's definitely a money saver
Day 8 - 30-9-18

Another £0 spend day today. Unless you count using a gift card to buy a doorstop, but it's technically free as it's not my money so I'm not counting it
Day 9 - 1-10-18

I spent some money today and it was semi necessary. Around £4 on popper wallets for uni work, £2 on a chocolate bar for a birthday present, £1.50 on a birthday card and just under £2 for the envelope to send the chocolate and card in. I didn't have to get my friend a card and present but birthdays are awesome and she deserves it so I did. I was tempted to buy so much other crap but I'm still doing good!
Day 10 - 2-10-18

No spend day today, feeling good :smile: I brought my own lunch to uni today instead of buying the expensive food at the uni canteen
Day 9 - 1-10-18

I spent some money today and it was semi necessary. Around £4 on popper wallets for uni work, £2 on a chocolate bar for a birthday present, £1.50 on a birthday card and just under £2 for the envelope to send the chocolate and card in. I didn't have to get my friend a card and present but birthdays are awesome and she deserves it so I did. I was tempted to buy so much other crap but I'm still doing good!

Where do you normally buy stationery for uni?

What kind of chocolate did you get? :smile: Keep up the good work!
Original post by ANM775

I feed three adults on £90 a week.
Original post by cheesecakelove
Where do you normally buy stationery for uni?

What kind of chocolate did you get? :smile: Keep up the good work!

Either Whsmith or Tesco/Asda. They've always seemed to be pretty decent places to go!

I got her a bar of Lindt cherry intense dark chocolate. It looks really good!

Thank you :smile:
Day 10 - 2-10-18

No spend day today, feeling good :smile: I brought my own lunch to uni today instead of buying the expensive food at the uni canteen

This thread s such a great idea. It's so easy to just grab a coffee and a sandwich when out. I look forward to reading more. Have you set yourself something to save up for?
Original post by Muttley79
This thread s such a great idea. It's so easy to just grab a coffee and a sandwich when out. I look forward to reading more. Have you set yourself something to save up for?

Thank you :biggrin: and yes tell me about it! It's so tempting to just be quick and get food when I finish work or am at uni when I have perfectly good food at home I've already paid for! I'm trying to get into the habit of going home for food or bringing my own food

I'm saving up some spending money for when I go away at Christmas, as well as saving up for Christmas presents and just general money set aside "just in case"
Day 11 - 3-10-18

Some necessary spending today. £2.30 in Tesco on houmous and yoghurts, and then around £3.80 in Lidl on some other food. Was so tempting to buy lots of junk food but I resisted :smile:
Day 12 - 4-10-18

Only spent 46p on a cucumber today, feeling happy about that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending