leobarry
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi
I am very worried about applying to university, Reason for my worried is that I don't have good GCSE'S. as English is my second language it was hard for me to get a good GCSE grade. i got C in maths, D in English and D in science but i'm redoing GCSE English and maths and also thinking of redoing gcse science. I'm currently studying BTEC level 3 IT and i'm in my second year, and i'm going to apply to university this year. i'm very worried that no university will accept me. I was thinking of applying for computer science, I don't mind applying for foundation year at a good university as I really want to go to a good uni, PLEASE DO SUGGEST SOME GOOD UNIVERSITY where i can do computer science with foundation year or any science course and i can progress to computer science. my question is that will the university give a offer if i'm applying and redoing gcse maths, English and science and will the uni care about my resit.

Thank you
2ringThompson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wouldn't worry too much I got C's in all my GCSEs and the uni was barely interested in my GCSEs, its more what you do in college or sixth form, something that helped me massively was to get work experience, I got work experience in small film companies as I've applied to do film production and I actually didn't get the correct A levels but thanks to my work experience I got in, so perhaps you could look at doing some work experience as this might empress the uni
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The universities that accept BTEC are also often not that bothered about GCSEs. You should definitely try retake your gcse English though.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by leobarry)
Hi
I am very worried about applying to university, Reason for my worried is that I don't have good GCSE'S. as English is my second language it was hard for me to get a good GCSE grade. i got C in maths, D in English and D in science but i'm redoing GCSE English and maths and also thinking of redoing gcse science. I'm currently studying BTEC level 3 IT and i'm in my second year, and i'm going to apply to university this year. i'm very worried that no university will accept me. I was thinking of applying for computer science, I don't mind applying for foundation year at a good university as I really want to go to a good uni, PLEASE DO SUGGEST SOME GOOD UNIVERSITY where i can do computer science with foundation year or any science course and i can progress to computer science. my question is that will the university give a offer if i'm applying and redoing gcse maths, English and science and will the uni care about my resit.

Thank you
Pretty much all good universities for Computer science will require a B in GCSE Maths, focus on obtaining this.

If you get the B in Maths, the best unis you could go to for CS would be: Lancaster, Surrey(for CIT), Leeds, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, UEA, Sussex, Newcastle. or for an IT degree: Manchester or UCL (with an A in GCSE Maths).
leobarry
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2ringThompson)
I wouldn't worry too much I got C's in all my GCSEs and the uni was barely interested in my GCSEs, its more what you do in college or sixth form, something that helped me massively was to get work experience, I got work experience in small film companies as I've applied to do film production and I actually didn't get the correct A levels but thanks to my work experience I got in, so perhaps you could look at doing some work experience as this might empress the uni
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
The universities that accept BTEC are also often not that bothered about GCSEs. You should definitely try retake your gcse English though.
(Original post by yt7777)
Pretty much all good universities for Computer science will require a B in GCSE Maths, focus on obtaining this.

If you get the B in Maths, the best unis you could go to for CS would be: Lancaster, Surrey(for CIT), Leeds, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, UEA, Sussex, Newcastle. or for an IT degree: Manchester or UCL (with an A in GCSE Maths).
Thank you for your reply.
leobarry
Rep:
?

I will retake Maths, Science and English, but I will have to apply to uni soon which mean I will have to write in my application that i am retaking it. will that put me in to disadvantage and will they care much about the retake. Is it hard to get in to Nottingham and Royal Holloway. I don't mind doing the science foundation year at Leeds and progress in to computer science but i'm worried that they will not give a place.

Thank you for your advice.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by leobarry)
I will retake Maths, Science and English, but I will have to apply to uni soon which mean I will have to write in my application that i am retaking it. will that put me in to disadvantage and will they care much about the retake. Is it hard to get in to Nottingham and Royal Holloway. I don't mind doing the science foundation year at Leeds and progress in to computer science but i'm worried that they will not give a place.

Thank you for your advice.
Don't bother with doing science, you wont need it

Nah, you'll probably just get an offer based on predicted grades for both you GCSE Maths and Level 3 BTEC

I graduated from Royal Holloway's Computer Science degree, its hard but you'll get in if you meet the required pre-requisites.
leobarry
Rep:
?
Don't bother with doing science, you wont need it

Nah, you'll probably just get an offer based on predicted grades for both you GCSE Maths and Level 3 BTEC

I graduated from Royal Holloway's Computer Science degree, its hard but you'll get in if you meet the required pre-requisites.
Thank you so much for your reply
do you have any tips that will help me to make my personal statement standout. also can you like apply for foundation course at one uni and undergraduate degree on other uni.

thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
15.93%
I'm not sure (8)
2.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (101)
34.24%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.36%
I'm not a current university student (135)
45.76%

Watched Threads