The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,
Im an international applicant, studying IB and currently applying for 2019 entry for medicine
My UKCAT score was pretty disappointing(625 average) and so I've been looking at schools that don't care much for UKCAT scores. I stumbled upon Brighton & Sussex, where they don't even require the applicants to sit the UKCAT test, which is good news.
However, I haven't heard much about their medicine course or the quality of the course or about opportunities for placements etc, so I was wondering if anyone has any useful insight??
Reply 2
Original post by sahana06
Hello,
Im an international applicant, studying IB and currently applying for 2019 entry for medicine
My UKCAT score was pretty disappointing(625 average) and so I've been looking at schools that don't care much for UKCAT scores. I stumbled upon Brighton & Sussex, where they don't even require the applicants to sit the UKCAT test, which is good news.
However, I haven't heard much about their medicine course or the quality of the course or about opportunities for placements etc, so I was wondering if anyone has any useful insight??

they require u to sit the BMAT test
Reply 3
Original post by T-Th
they require u to sit the BMAT test

According to their site, that's only for local applicants. International applicants apparently don't have to sit any aptitude tests to be eligible to apply
So if you've sat the UKCAT, do they still check your score if you're an international apllicant?
Original post by Jayantisawesome
So if you've sat the UKCAT, do they still check your score if you're an international apllicant?

"International applicants are not required to sit The BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) or any other admissions test. Applications will be invited for interview based upon academic profile and the contents of the UCAS personal statement."

That means no they do not look at your UKCAT score since they only look at academic profile and your UCAS statement.
Hi guys,

I am a Canadian gradute with a Bachelor's of Science in Biological Sciences four year undergraduate degree from 2013-2017 with a 3.3/4.0 cumulative GPA (2.1 upper second class) looking to apply to BSMS.

I scored 87% in my Biology IB year 12 course, 96% in my Chemistry IB year 12 course, 98% in my English IB year 12 course, 85% in my Social Studies year 12 course, 97% in my Math year 12 course, and 96% in my Work Experience year 12 options course. I completed year 12 with a cumulative GPA of 93.12.

My UKCAT scores were 2500 band 3 (I know.. )

I have sat as president, vice president, director of communications and marketing for organizations including UNICEF, Canadian Foundation for AIDS and Research, the Edmonton World Health Organization, and the Heart and Stroke Foundation Students Association. I have shadowed at two hospitals under the department of neurology and department of orthopaedics, completed my research internships with doctors and professors in New York, Edmonton Canada and Calgary Canada, as well as have first and second authorship on two publications via the American Society of Nephrology (ASN).

Are there any stats on how competitive this program is for international students, how many available seats? Checked the website, not much :frown:
Afraid I don't know much about international applications to BSMS!
Maybe have a read through last years thread and see if there was anyone with similar stats/situation as you?
You can also contact BSMS and based on FOI ask for some more information?
Best of luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ukprospective
Hi guys,

I am a Canadian gradute with a Bachelor's of Science in Biological Sciences four year undergraduate degree from 2013-2017 with a 3.3/4.0 cumulative GPA (2.1 upper second class) looking to apply to BSMS.

I scored 87% in my Biology IB year 12 course, 96% in my Chemistry IB year 12 course, 98% in my English IB year 12 course, 85% in my Social Studies year 12 course, 97% in my Math year 12 course, and 96% in my Work Experience year 12 options course. I completed year 12 with a cumulative GPA of 93.12.

My UKCAT scores were 2500 band 3 (I know.. )

I have sat as president, vice president, director of communications and marketing for organizations including UNICEF, Canadian Foundation for AIDS and Research, the Edmonton World Health Organization, and the Heart and Stroke Foundation Students Association. I have shadowed at two hospitals under the department of neurology and department of orthopaedics, completed my research internships with doctors and professors in New York, Edmonton Canada and Calgary Canada, as well as have first and second authorship on two publications via the American Society of Nephrology (ASN).

Are there any stats on how competitive this program is for international students, how many available seats? Checked the website, not much :frown:

Your scores do look pretty promising. Medicine for international applicants is generally quite competitive, but it might help to know that BSMS doesn't require international applicants to sit the UKCAT. However, they might have different requirements for graduate entries so you may want to look that up! Also, just in case you weren't aware, the UCAS medicine deadline was last night:/
Original post by sahana06
Your scores do look pretty promising. Medicine for international applicants is generally quite competitive, but it might help to know that BSMS doesn't require international applicants to sit the UKCAT. However, they might have different requirements for graduate entries so you may want to look that up! Also, just in case you weren't aware, the UCAS medicine deadline was last night:/

Thanks so much, and I called and checked with them about graduate requirements! Applied two days ago :smile:
Original post by ukprospective
Thanks so much, and I called and checked with them about graduate requirements! Applied two days ago :smile:

I'm a UK grad applying to BSMS, and i have to sit the BMAT. not sure if that applies to you though
Original post by ArcherBear
I'm a UK grad applying to BSMS, and i have to sit the BMAT. not sure if that applies to you though

Sorry I should mention that was because I am an international applicant :smile: And yes, they look at BMAT for EU and non-intl applicants. Good luck to everyone!
Any contextual applicants applying?
Original post by Literal_Democrat
Any contextual applicants applying?

Yep
Original post by xXxdmedxXx
Yep

Have you received an email from them asking you to provide evidence or something along those lines? On their website, it says that you're contacted and told to submit evidence to their portal but I submitted my application over a week ago and haven't heard anything from them asking me to do anything like that
Original post by Literal_Democrat
Have you received an email from them asking you to provide evidence or something along those lines? On their website, it says that you're contacted and told to submit evidence to their portal but I submitted my application over a week ago and haven't heard anything from them asking me to do anything like that

Yeah I got an email from them a few days ago asking about contextual data. I think you should email them yourself with any evidence of contextual data and ask for it to be attached to your application!
I am an international strident and have applied to Brighton and sussex medical school. Any idea by when they will respond to my application?
Reply 17
Original post by James_MI6
In another thread somebody said they BSMS is sending out interview offers for International students 5 days ago....can any International applicant confirm this?

International. Received invitation to activate account day after submitting application. No interview or rejection email so far.
Hey guys, I didn't find a thread about BSMS for 2019 entry so I thought I would make one.

Entry Requirements: AAA - Resits are accepted here as long as you get AAB first attempt. AAB accepted if you meet contextual requirements

Teaching Style: Integrated systems-based. For example, this term we're learning some of the foundations of health and disease while next term there is a focus on the heart and lungs. On Tuesdays we have clinical days, where we have facilitated sessions with GPs and go on placements - some of our friends went to their primary and secondary placements last week, while we took part a workshop on taking the traditional medical history, where we had patient contact. The first two years are quite lecture based.

Entrance Test: BMAT - The scores for each section are added up with the letter grade you were given for your essay (' A=5, B=4, C=3...) to make your total.

Other things about the uni: We've been here for three weeks and I've honestly loved it so far. The cohort is small and very diverse, which is great, so we have gotten to know people in our year and the year above already, which is great for not only academic but emotional support. The medic family system is great too, it definitely helps you settle in and I've found both my medic mums so lovely and open to talk to at moments where I felt overwhelmed. I've felt so supported so far and it would be great to see some of you guys here next year!

Information from @AnnekaChan173
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HamedxAli
Hey guys, I didn't find a thread about BSMS for 2019 entry so I thought I would make one.

How's BMAT preperation going so far?

Has anyone applied with widening access? If so, have you got a confirmation about being successful?

Hi! I'm applying to BSMS :smile:

BMAT revision is going alright I guess. Although It is very hard!

I'm not applying to widening access though - but I did get that confirmation email where I had to make an account on BSMS website.

Latest

Trending

Trending