The Student Room Group

PC Building

if anyone here knows about building a PC, i need a bit of advice. i have a system here im building but i only have 3 fans in total, one from the case and 2 from the AIO cpu cooler. the cooler has to be installed on the top of the case and the case fan is at the back. is this ok for airflow? or is it 100% necessary to get some fans for the front aswell?
ty
Original post by callan_russell
if anyone here knows about building a PC, i need a bit of advice. i have a system here im building but i only have 3 fans in total, one from the case and 2 from the AIO cpu cooler. the cooler has to be installed on the top of the case and the case fan is at the back. is this ok for airflow? or is it 100% necessary to get some fans for the front aswell?

Get some temperature monitoring software and see.

I personally would have one at the front the of the case to balance the one at the back in push pull.

[video="youtube;8OmkmluAYAQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ[/video]
(edited 5 years ago)

This article is quite instructive.

https://www.howtogeek.com/303078/how-to-manage-your-pcs-fans-for-optimal-airflow-and-cooling/

Are the fans on the AIO in a push/pull configuration or is it a larger radiator so they are both pushing or pulling? Also what is the hardware like?

Immediate thoughts are that the fan positioning isn't great, it could easily lead to a small loop in the top where the case fan will pull in air and it will immediately be sucked out by the AIO fans, most of the case would have limited airflow which is not a good thing.

The other immediate issue is that you could be looking at negative air pressure, if the fans are all exhaust fans air will seep in through any little crack and bring the dust with it, ideally you want slight positive air pressure, the intake fans pulling in more air than exhaust fans are pushing out, this way air pressure in the case will be slightly higher than outside, pushing air out of cracks and minimising dust build up (assuming intakes are filtered).

You'll almost certainly (read definitely) be fine, but it isn't ideal. The number of fans should be fine, I personally only have 2x 140mm intake and AIO fans (120mm in push/pull, not that airflow is increased much by push/pull) and don't have thermal issues despite it being a high end system with the primary GPU exhausting into the case.

As a final note, if using fan filters make sure to clean them periodically, a filter covered in dust will kill the airflow, build up over weeks/months leads to noticeable increases in temperatures.
(edited 5 years ago)
In through the top, and out through the back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending