Is it possiblee to self study GCSE English and achieve a high grade?

Watch
curtiswood
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been reading a few threads in which people self studied GCSE English and achieved a high grade and other people are saying that its an extremely tough subject to self sudy and wouldnt advise in self studying them. (English GCSE LIT or LANG)

Is it possible to self study GCSE English Lang and Lit [Without a Tutor] and still come out with high grades (7's-9's).for someone who is willing to dedicate 4-6 hours every weekday to study?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
username4265394
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sure it is! If the book is of good quality and you are really comitted. But its hard
nells45581
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It really depends on whether you have a natural ability for the subject. If you do, you may not even need to study that much - just walk into the exam room with a few quotes from the set text and a decent knowledge of literary devices under your belt. Unseen poetry and prose analysis is difficult for some people but if you find it a piece of cake then you may as well already have your grade.
mcdonaldkylie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah it's possible. For English Language just make sure you have lots and lots of practice with questions and use a good revision guide or something to guide you. For English Lit. it's probably going to be harder but I recommend using Mr Bruff and online sources to help you annotate books and poems, once thats done do loads of practice questions and keep learning quotes.

Also, if you're self studying (in general for any subject) you need to keep on track so set yourself a plan on how long your meant to spend on one book and don't assume you can miss out one day and do double the next (you'll fall behind really easily).
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It would be hard just because you need a teacher to mark your essays, it's really difficult to mark them accurately yourself unless you're trained at it. Of course you could do it where you read essays of each grade (I think you can find samples on the aqa website but idk if that's just for English language) and compare your essay to that. I would suggest YouTube channels such as Mr bruff.
curtiswood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
It would be hard just because you need a teacher to mark your essays, it's really difficult to mark them accurately yourself unless you're trained at it. Of course you could do it where you read essays of each grade (I think you can find samples on the aqa website but idk if that's just for English language) and compare your essay to that. I would suggest YouTube channels such as Mr bruff.
Thanks for your response, so you are saying it is possible, if you can refer back to previous student essays and compare them both and obtain a high grade? 7-9

Thanks again.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mr Bruff and Stacey Reay on YouTube are highly recommended for GCSE English.
curtiswood
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Mr Bruff and Stacey Reay on YouTube are highly recommended for GCSE English.
Thanks for this!
curtiswood
Rep:
?
(Original post by mcdonaldkylie)
Yeah it's possible. For English Language just make sure you have lots and lots of practice with questions and use a good revision guide or something to guide you. For English Lit. it's probably going to be harder but I recommend using Mr Bruff and online sources to help you annotate books and poems, once thats done do loads of practice questions and keep learning quotes.

Also, if you're self studying (in general for any subject) you need to keep on track so set yourself a plan on how long your meant to spend on one book and don't assume you can miss out one day and do double the next (you'll fall behind really easily).
Thanks!

Any easy to read books you could recommend?
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by curtiswood)
Thanks for your response, so you are saying it is possible, if you can refer back to previous student essays and compare them both and obtain a high grade? 7-9

Thanks again.
Its possible but it won't be easy. I would strongly suggest getting some sort of tutor who could mark your essays and give feedback. But if that's not in your budget I think you could still do it.
mcdonaldkylie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by curtiswood)
Thanks!

Any easy to read books you could recommend?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Englis...glish+language

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Englis...glish+language

These are good, but quite expensive. If you don't want to spend this much then just buy the CGP books. For Lit. buy the books your reading but make sure the book has annotations in it.

Inspector Calls: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inspector-C...nspector+calls

Romeo and Juliet: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juliet-Camb...meo+and+juliet

Macbeth: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Macbeth-Cam...4XZBGCN8N5XK1S
emzojo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am an online tutor. I have taught GCSE language and literature for 10 years. I have impressive pass rates (91%) and have examined for several exam boards in England, Wales and N Ireland. I offer tuition online at very competitive rates. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Emma
cloudlessnight
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you read a lot and really work hard at knowing exactly what they want in the exam by looking at mark schemes and examiner reports you should do brilliantly. I didn't use Mr. Bruff at all as I was wary of everyone writing the same thing and to be honest I wasn't very impressed with the videos I did watch. If you can manage to have your own great ideas rather than recycled ones everyone's using you're bound to do well.
KawaiiArtist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Another useful youtube channel is Mr Salles, and I do think it's possible as long as you put the work in. (I know someone who was home schooled and studied English Lit & Language, getting 8/9s).

Another suggestion would be to use Wolsey Hall Oxford, which 'timetables' the work for you, and an online tutor marks your essays giving brilliant feedback.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads