allie13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m wanting to start a PGCE in primary next September but I’m so worried about the financial aspect of it. You don’t get a bursary for primary and I get minimum loan but despite this my family aren’t in a position to be able to help me out as much as I need. I have £500 bills coming out every month that can’t be cut down. During my undergrad I worked around 40-50 hours a week as a support worker (night shifts included) and now I’m doing around 80 hours a week so I’m used to being tired out but I need to know if I’d have enough time to physically fit in any work because I need to be able to pay my bills but it feels like I’m stuck! Can anyone tell me about how much time they physically have on a weekend/night that I could fit in any working hours?
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by allie13)
I’m wanting to start a PGCE in primary next September but I’m so worried about the financial aspect of it. You don’t get a bursary for primary and I get minimum loan but despite this my family aren’t in a position to be able to help me out as much as I need. I have £500 bills coming out every month that can’t be cut down. During my undergrad I worked around 40-50 hours a week as a support worker (night shifts included) and now I’m doing around 80 hours a week so I’m used to being tired out but I need to know if I’d have enough time to physically fit in any work because I need to be able to pay my bills but it feels like I’m stuck! Can anyone tell me about how much time they physically have on a weekend/night that I could fit in any working hours?
It might be worth posting in the Teacher training forum as you'll be more likely to get responses: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=97.

I'm hoping to start a Primary PGCE next September too, and unfortunately everything I've heard - seen online and having spoken to current trainees - indicates it's very, very full-time. As a user on Tes says, "While on placement you're essentially working a full time job, with the extra pressures of uni assignments, PGCE paperwork, extra detailed plans and evaluations of every lesson you teach (teachers do a lot of this in their head but as a PGCE student you have to write it all down...), and the pressures of being in a new environment doing a job that's also new to you. It is possible to work a part time job as well, but you may well wish you didn't have to go to work at the end of a challenging day in the classroom and a long meeting after school." (link).

Aside from finding the time, another issue would be consistency. For a few weeks you might be at uni, albeit with a lot of contact hours, but then for a few weeks you'd be full time at school. If you're applying for university-led PGCEs, you'll have a bit more time at uni which may make it easier to fit in part-time work, but on placement it seems virtually impossible - and placement is a large chunk of the year, at least 120 days and often more (and while you're on placement, there's still uni work to do, like the PGCE assignments, which will then take up your weekends).
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've just started a Secondary PGCE, and to give you some idea of my timetable- I'm in uni for a few weeks at a time, for a minimum of 9.30-4.30, but sometimes longer. From November-December and the Spring term I am in placement, so essentially working full time. During this time you're expected to participate as if you are a teacher, so attending meetings, planning, marking (which increases as the placement goes on) as well as liaising with other teachers and completing your assignments.

You can have quite a commute to at least one of your placement schools as well.

Teaching is quite energy sapping when you are not used to it, so I think it would be hard to be mentally able to work after a day in school as well.

If you are currently working 80 hours a week, can you save some money this year to help pay your bills next year?
allie13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I've just started a Secondary PGCE, and to give you some idea of my timetable- I'm in uni for a few weeks at a time, for a minimum of 9.30-4.30, but sometimes longer. From November-December and the Spring term I am in placement, so essentially working full time. During this time you're expected to participate as if you are a teacher, so attending meetings, planning, marking (which increases as the placement goes on) as well as liaising with other teachers and completing your assignments.

You can have quite a commute to at least one of your placement schools as well.

Teaching is quite energy sapping when you are not used to it, so I think it would be hard to be mentally able to work after a day in school as well.

If you are currently working 80 hours a week, can you save some money this year to help pay your bills next year?
Thank you this is very helpful I really don’t know how to go about this now! I can try but I doubt I’ll be able to save up enough to fund me for an entire year! But I will have to try from the sounds of it!
Thank you!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you this is very helpful I really don’t know how to go about this now! I can try but I doubt I’ll be able to save up enough to fund me for an entire year! But I will have to try from the sounds of it!
Thank you!
You will have some loan, though, right? So you won't need to save to fund yourself entirely. If you can get, say £4000 loan and save another £4000, I would have thought that would be doable.

You could also look at salaried routes into teaching.
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I went to an open day at a University and they said that they don't encourage students to work during a PGCE as the course is too intense. Are you able to put any of your salary in savings to use during the year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads