Sheena1234izatio
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Teachers are always saying "Only use CGP if you want a D" (for science) and stuff like that. I used CGP for triple science and got 9,9,9. Textbooks are boring they go on about rubbish that we don't need to know about, so why do teachers not like CGP for A level science?
4D Chess
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because cgp keep making **** jokes on every page.
Fazzy_77
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's probably just your teachers tbh. My teachers recommended them for gcse and just recently my chemistry a-level teacher recommended it too.
hayydenb
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CGP is usable for gcse, I have CGP & Pearson’s revision guide but I can tell you CGP cut corners around the specification while Pearson fit everything in and also CGP try to fill a page for each topic so if there’s not enough info they fill it w BS aha
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sheena1234izatio)
Teachers are always saying "Only use CGP if you want a D" (for science) and stuff like that. I used CGP for triple science and got 9,9,9. Textbooks are boring they go on about rubbish that we don't need to know about, so why do teachers not like CGP for A level science?
For GCSE I got an A star using CGP alone - for a level it doesn't have enough information for the top grades but will probably get you a c or something with a few other resources
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They say use if you want a C/D but make you buy them. It’s insane
xEmilyxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You shouldn't rely solely on textbooks if you want anything higher than a C at A Level. They'll be telling you to not use CGP to encourage you to be more independent and less reliant.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
because they're sh**e
12aissid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would say for a level your better off getting the CGP textbook not the revision book because the actual textbook although it is a lot thicker literally tells you everything you need to know for your A level. Like I am not joking a question cane up in a practise paper in biology about a specific coenzyme for an enzyme and I was one of the few people who knew the answer in the year group because it was in the CGP textbook which I had bought but not the OCR textbook or the CGP revision guide.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've used GCP for teaching purposes and recommend them highly. No book is sufficient on its own: books tend to cover different things in different ways, so a section of them is best. But there's nothing inherently wrong with the CGP ones.
Sheena1234izatio
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 12aissid)
I would say for a level your better off getting the CGP textbook not the revision book because the actual textbook although it is a lot thicker literally tells you everything you need to know for your A level. Like I am not joking a question cane up in a practise paper in biology about a specific coenzyme for an enzyme and I was one of the few people who knew the answer in the year group because it was in the CGP textbook which I had bought but not the OCR textbook or the CGP revision guide.
What's the main difference between the revision guide and textbook/student book?
12aissid
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What's the main difference between the revision guide and textbook/student book?
The revision book has a page per topic but it isn’t that detailed so it won’t get you the top marks. The student book has a lot more depth and detail and it explains everything. Basically the revision book is just that a revision book it gives you a quick overview to refresh your mind. The student book gives you everything in the detail required for the exam. It teaches you the specification.
Cereidee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ngl, for gcse, yes you can very easily get a high grade with cgp, I got an A in my sciences just by reading the book 3/4 times the night before, but for a-level, it really is true, don't expect anything higher than a D, let's be generous and say a C, if you use JUST your cgp books. They miss out so much, I know this is definitely the case for edexcel biology.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
I dont believe there is. they sell books. Buy them if you think they are useful and dont if not. I like the fact they prioduce workbooks which imo are a good tool for exam success.
Deliciate
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CGP is sufficient for GCSE, only used it and got A*s in all my sciences. However for A-level you'll find that the CGP book doesn't go into enough depth and deliberately misses out information from the spec to make the textbook a lot shorter (talking mainly about biology here). Also, it doesn't contain many key words you need for the exam but simplifies it so students can understand the content. In my school, we use the CGP book in biology lessons to reinforce understanding and when I get home I make notes from my more detailed textbook. I think the CGP book is inadequate on its own if you want a wide knowledge of said science subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (44)
17.96%
No one else does (79)
32.24%
I'm embarrassed about my background (26)
10.61%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (83)
33.88%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.22%
I don't have a camera (5)
2.04%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.04%

Watched Threads