Turn on thread page Beta

ADVICE FOR THE CONFUSED! help needed... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay hello everyone

Basically I am very confused about my A Level Options. Any with any constructive advice please reply.. I'm really stuck in a rut

Im in Year 11, with very good GCSE targets, going to sixth form next year.

My current choices for A Level are:
    French
    Politics
    Geography
    English Literature.

BUT. I'm only doing these because I feel as if they are my strongest subjects/ interest in politics. I have no idea what I want to do with my life career wise. Politician, TV Broadcaster, journalist sound okay. A teacher is something i would really consider. But also there is a part of me that would love to be a doctor.
    None of them would be useful at all for a career in medicine. I haven't really got on with my science department at my school (hence the low target compared to others), however chemistry is something that is quite intersting for me.
    Working and helping people is the thing I REALLY want to do with my life. That I know. I'm just worried that I might screw up if i close the door on medicine now, and I really DON'T wana have any regrets when I'm older. I don't know in what capacity I want to help people. And I also don't wana screw up and in 6 months time wish I'd done Bio and Chem instead of Eng and Geog. However I still wan keep my options to as many things as possible. Maybe by doin 5 A/S Levels.
    People have given me the adivce of waiting for my GCSE results in August, but really, They're all going to be prety similar grades in all of them, so that doesn't help. Also people say go for your strengths, but really everybody keeps telling me that I have the potetnital to be both a lwayer, or a doctor or a diplomat or whatever; whatever I put my mind to.. which isn't helpful for such a fickle person like me!
    The reason for ebing a doctor is because I think it is the ultimate way of helping people; saving lifes. As a teacher, yes you teach, you mentor students who mybe have family or learning difficulties, but there is only so much you can do.
    I feel as if being a doctor, helping people, curing people, improving their lifes; I would get so much satisfaction out of it. I just wnat a job that helps people; I really don't have a clue what to do.
    As you can probs tell, I worry alot, and this has been hanging over me for a while. I don't need to know now, as my college said I can change my subjects in the summer after GCSE results if I want to, but it's just bugging me loads! Sorry for the long post, needed to get this out so badly, but please any positive advice, waht do you think i should do?!??!?!

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry Biology Maths English Lit
    is what i now wish i had taken, my medicine application is looking weak on maths further maths chemistry and physics
    almost everyone respects maths, chemistry and biology are perfect for medicine but wont work against you for any other courses and English adds bredth....

ReputationRep:
    i did

Biology Chemistry Physics and Psychology

i think that was quite a well rounded choice, for medicine

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSE grades are really good

I would say Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English. Of course if you love Maths, by all means take Further Maths :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thnak you, but can anyone give me advice?! apart from what subjects. I really would only want to take chem and bio if i did, cos i want to keep my optinos open. what other jobs could i do with that much job satisfaction. any other dieas as how i could help people? I'm really confused...

ReputationRep:
    Just doing bio and chem would be fine, you don't need maths to get into medicine - I don't do it.

As for other careers that help people to the same extent as medicine... hmmm... you could work for a charity or suchlike. What actual jobs there are within charities though, I really don't know.

ReputationRep:
    i know exactly what you mean!
    i'm in year 11 too and have exactly the same target grades in every subject
    not helpful
    i think i'm probably stronger at arts like English and History
    but then i think i'd like to do medicine
    If i was you i'd take AS's in Biology and Chemistery
    then if after a year you decide you dont want to do medicine you can do AS's in Arts in your second year
    best of both worlds =)
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    IGNORE target grades... Do what you enjoy. Don't make me rant on about me & Geography because I'm sick of telling the story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magictom)
    Just doing bio and chem would be fine, you don't need maths to get into medicine - I don't do it.

As for other careers that help people to the same extent as medicine... hmmm... you could work for a charity or suchlike. What actual jobs there are within charities though, I really don't know.
    Which other subjects did you do?! I will probs do french and geog/eng lit along with bio and chem, if i do end up doing it.

I think I probs will end up giving the sciences a go... i really think medicine is soemthing i'd enjoy... that would be the only reason for me doing it.

How difficult is chem a level?

ReputationRep:
    If your able to I would recommend doing 5 AS's; you seem capable enough and you can always drop one if you find it's too much.

ReputationRep:
    Well, do 5 AS - 2 sciences 3 arts or 2 arts to 3 sciences. If you choose to do only 2 sciences, I would suggest those to be Biology and chemistry, because it opens more doors to you when choosing medical schools!

5 AS is not that hard to cope with if you can manage you time properly, but I would only do 3 subjects at A2 though, because really 4 or 5 A2 wont give you much advantage over 3.

So my suggestion is, keep your doors open in yr 12 and find out what you really like in terms of both interests of the subject and the possibility of taking it up as a career. You have plenty time to think about all of these. At last, most importantly, do some work placement in a medical setting and see how you feel about medicine, really thats the only way to find out!

Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bosongyin)
    At last, most importantly, do some work placement in a medical setting and see how you feel about medicine, really thats the only way to find out!

Hope it helps.
    I'd agree with this last post the most - work experience. Spend like a week shadowing a GP or hospital doctor as soon as possible, hopefully over the summer (pulling contacts is the easiest way to get this usually but you should be able to ring up and ask hospital trusts directly).

For me, doing work experience really sealed the deal. I'd already planned to go into Medicine at the end of Year 11 but it wasn't until after work experience that I had a far better idea of what I was letting myself in for - and hence I was even more determined to become a doctor

Cheers,

--Dave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzypants)
    But also there is a part of me that would love to be a doctor <snip> Working and helping people is the thing I REALLY want to do with my life. <snip> The reason for ebing a doctor is because I think it is the ultimate way of helping people; saving lifes. As a teacher, yes you teach, you mentor students who mybe have family or learning difficulties, but there is only so much you can do <snip> I feel as if being a doctor, helping people, curing people, improving their lifes; I would get so much satisfaction out of it. I just wnat a job that helps people; I really don't have a clue what to do.
    Work experience would probably be very helpful to you. It would help give you a slightly more realistic picture of what being a doctor is all about. It is NOT about saving lives. It is NOT all about curing people. It is DEFINITELY not the ultimate way of helping people.

There are so many other ways of helping people and having a big impact on their lives without being a doctor. Just within healthcare there are so many other members of the team who will get to spend more time with patients and their families than doctors do and give so much to the patient and their family. Occupational therapists, physios, SALTs, psychologists, dieticians, etc etc. The list is very long and these are just a few ideas.

If you feel your strength is with arts and not sciences and you have no burning ambition to be a doctor and/or study science a-levels then I would urge you to think carefully about taking up 2 science a-levels, especially when you say you haven't really got on well with the science dept in your school and they are the subjects you do least well in. Why don't you go with what you enjoy for a-levels and try and get work experience in a number of different areas over the next 18 months to help you decide on what sort of career you might like before applying for uni. You could try and spend time in different hospital departments, in broadcasting, in a primary or nursery school, etc to give you plenty of ideas of what you might want to do later on in life.

Even if you don't do science a-levels it doesn't mean the door is closed to medicine should you decide that is what your burning ambition is after all. There are some med schools with a pre-med year for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wideawake)
    Work experience would probably be very helpful to you. It would help give you a slightly more realistic picture of what being a doctor is all about. It is NOT about saving lives. It is NOT all about curing people. It is DEFINITELY not the ultimate way of helping people.

There are so many other ways of helping people and having a big impact on their lives without being a doctor. Just within healthcare there are so many other members of the team who will get to spend more time with patients and their families than doctors do and give so much to the patient and their family. Occupational therapists, physios, SALTs, psychologists, dieticians, etc etc. The list is very long and these are just a few ideas.

If you feel your strength is with arts and not sciences and you have no burning ambition to be a doctor and/or study science a-levels then I would urge you to think carefully about taking up 2 science a-levels, especially when you say you haven't really got on well with the science dept in your school and they are the subjects you do least well in. Why don't you go with what you enjoy for a-levels and try and get work experience in a number of different areas over the next 18 months to help you decide on what sort of career you might like before applying for uni. You could try and spend time in different hospital departments, in broadcasting, in a primary or nursery school, etc to give you plenty of ideas of what you might want to do later on in life.

Even if you don't do science a-levels it doesn't mean the door is closed to medicine should you decide that is what your burning ambition is after all. There are some med schools with a pre-med year for example.

Thank you that has been really helpful. Infact all the comments have. I did relaly consider doing 5 AS levles, but my college have advised me against it. And I agree with them because they said if you do five you will proabbly get AABBC at AS instead of getting AAAB if I only do 4, and that the latter is better. I would like to do five, but I think that would be too much and possibly be detrimental to other things in my life. I do already do tons of extra-curricular stuff.

I agree and I think I will get work experience. Defineitly this summer, in a hospital. What's the best way to go about this? I've heard it's very difficult.

That previous guy did really sum me up. I do feel that my stregnth is with the arts. And it has opened me up. I am not a scientist. I'm a people person. Maybe medcine isn't the right career for me, as I would want lots of contact wiht people, patients; in the same vain that teachers have with their pupils. In healthcare, a therapist etc sound interesting me; i would wnat quite a bit of contact with my patients.
    Another thing that I am interested in is Charity work. I'm a member of the Oxfam youth board, and form talking to people invovled with charities, they're english, voluntary sector, politics, economics graduates etc; anyway. Although being a doctor in a poace of real need would be amazing, I would be able to make a real difference in other ways; wouldn't I?

But yes, basically, I'm going to go and get work experience; in lots of different sectors. And I'll wait for GCSE results too. At the moment Science, ICT and Maths are the two subjects I am most worried about possibly getting B's in. Maybe that is a sign!

Feel free to leave any more views/ advice. and Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 20, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.