The Student Room Group

Further Maths Argand Diagrams

Any ideas on 4b? Thank you!
Reply 1
Part a) must be a circle, radius 5, centered on (6,1).
Part b) Translates the origin to (11,10), then you have to find the smallest angle (most minimum) of a point on the circle from the new origin.
Can you sketch it?
Original post by IzzyLJB
Any ideas on 4b? Thank you!

arg(z(11+10i))\arg(z-(11+10i)) is a half-line starting from z1=11+10iz_1 = 11+10i going off in some direction (blue line in my diagrams below)

The direction is limited though, because zz must be on the circle that is defined by z6i=5|z-6-i| = 5 (you sketch this circle in part a, it is the red one in my diagram).

Hence you are seeking for the minimum argument of the blue half-line (angle measured from the black dotted line in my diagram, labeled θ\theta) such that there is some intersection with the circle.

You need to look at two extremes. One of which is the following:

Spoiler

or this one:

Spoiler

Which one do you think represents the MINIMUM argument?? Work with that diagram and derive the answer for θ\theta.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Can anyone help me with part b ? I'm guessing the minimum arguement is pi/2 right? So where do I go from here?
Reply 4
I think I've got it please correct me if I'm wrong, or if I need to be more elaborate. See the attactched file.
Reply 5
Looks good.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Looks good.

Is it worthy of full marks?
Reply 7
Pardon me, I forgot to put that sqrt(9^2 + 5^2)=sqrt(106)
Reply 8
Original post by Mad Man
Is it worthy of full marks?

It's a bit messy, but has the main points in. Hard for me to judge if you may be docked a mark.
For instance, you could describe why the two triangles are congruent, why the min angle corresponds to the tangent ... if you want to be guaranteed full marks. However, I don't have the mark scheme.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
It's a bit messy, but has the main points in. Hard for me to judge of you may be docked a mark.
For instance, you could describe why the two triangles are congruent, why the min angle corresponds to the tangent ... if you want to be guaranteed full marks. However, I don't have the mark scheme.

I'm guessing we'd have to ask the OP @IzzyLJB can you give the source of this question to me?
It is 2 years old and the OP hasn't logged on for several months. You've got the right method, so Id just move on?

Quick Reply

Latest