Leeds Medicine A100 - 2019 Entry Watch

The_JoKeR
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Bajoai)
Initially yeah, but you have to complete some online workshops and a mini assignment to secure the access to Leeds offer.
Ah, doesn't sound too bad.
(Original post by medapplicant2k19)
9 A* and 1 A at GCSE.
Predicted A*A*A at A-level.
Doing BMAT in October. This gives me a score of 34 before BMAT.
Would I have a good chance at Leeds to get an interview?
Thanks
Yep, a very good chance.
Literal_Democrat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The_JoKeR)
https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/med...-surgery-mbchb
Couldn't find one for this year, so I guess this is it.

What's everyone's application like so far?

Leeds scoring system
Spoiler:
Show

Stage 1: Pre-Interview ranking
Score out of 40 calculated:
- 27 points available for GCSEs based on best 9 subjects, including English Language, Maths, and either Double Science or Chemistry and Biology. 3 points for an A*, 2 for an A and 1 for a B.
- 8 points available for predicted grades, or actual grades, of AAA at A level.
- 5 points available for BMAT score. Points are awarded for the overall score of the 3 components, with 5 points going to the top scoring 20% that applied to Leeds, 4 points to the next 20%, etc.
- A score of around 36/40 should be enough to get through to the interview.

(A BMAT combined score of 15 should guarantee 5 points. Calculated by adding section 1 score to section 2 score and converting the two section 3 scores to a numerical value of 5 each, for a score out of 28. For example 4.9, 4.1 and 3.5A would give a score of 17.5)

Stage 2: MMI Interview
Usually they'd rank personal statements of the top 1000 as well at Stage 1, but the format is changing this year and instead they're calling the top ~1000 for an MMI interview. The scoring is set back to zero here - the final rankings are based on interview performance alone.

Offers will probably be made to around 350 to 370 people.

Hi,

You've mentioned that the personal statement isn't scored. In the link to the website on your post, there are download links for the admissions policy and an open day admissions PowerPoint. They both suggest that the personal statement is used pre-interview. Specifically, on one slide, it says that a 'typical candidate securing interview will have a good personal statement'.

Secondly, are you sure that the score for S3 of the BMAT is considered equally to the other scores? I've read elsewhere that Leeds half the S3 score and don't consider the quality of English score (e.g. for the example you gave, the total score would be 4.9 4.1 (3.5/2) = 10.75).

So given this I'm just wondering if you could link us to where you got this info especially regarding the personal statement.

Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Literal_Democrat; 2 months ago
MedCrashCourse
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by medapplicant2k19)
9 A* and 1 A at GCSE.
Predicted A*A*A at A-level.
Doing BMAT in October. This gives me a score of 34 before BMAT.
Would I have a good chance at Leeds to get an interview?
Thanks
Based on my experience, as long as you do well in BMAT and nothing much wrong with the personal statement. Most likely, they will interview you. They also have a waiting list if you don’t get any offers it’s worth a try to ask them!
drjay24
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have 7A*s and 2 A's so I have 33 points before BMAT, what do you think my chances are??
eron2463
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What’s considered a good BMAT score for Leeds?

GCSES: 9A*s and 1A
A levels (achieved): A*A*A

What do I need to score in the BMAT to be likely for an interview?
eron2463
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey,

Does anybody know how Leeds score applicants during the selection procedure for GCSES, A-Levels, BMAT, PS, etc...? Could anyone tell me how I would score?

GCSEs: 9A*s and 1A (A in English Lang)
AS: AAAA
A-Level (achieved): A*A*A

I will be doing the BMAT at the end of this month.

Thanks for any help in advance!
JulianaKim7618
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The University of Leeds do not operate a strict BMAT cut-off.[*]BMAT total score calculated through a sum of one’s BMAT Section 1, 2 and 3 scores, although BMAT Section 3 is given half the weighting of the first two sections.[*]BMAT Section 3 score is also taken into consideration during the interview stage of the selection process.[*]Those in the top 20% of BMAT scores will receive the full mark available for this part of the application process, with those in the bottom 20% receiving the lowest mark available.[*]Overall BMAT weighting is equivalent to 50% of the personal statement weighting and 15% of the academic scoring weighting.

so since you have strong grades you would probably get an interview at least and even an offer!
eron2463
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JulianaKim7618)
The University of Leeds do not operate a strict BMAT cut-off.[*]BMAT total score calculated through a sum of one’s BMAT Section 1, 2 and 3 scores, although BMAT Section 3 is given half the weighting of the first two sections.[*]BMAT Section 3 score is also taken into consideration during the interview stage of the selection process.[*]Those in the top 20% of BMAT scores will receive the full mark available for this part of the application process, with those in the bottom 20% receiving the lowest mark available.[*]Overall BMAT weighting is equivalent to 50% of the personal statement weighting and 15% of the academic scoring weighting.

so since you have strong grades you would probably get an interview at least and even an offer!
Thank you for the information! That’s really helpful.
Last edited by eron2463; 2 months ago
JulianaKim7618
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Np if you want more details look up in their website or feel free to ask
MedCrashCourse
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by eron2463)
Thank you for the information! That’s really helpful.
Also to remind you in Leeds from my experience they may ask you about your bmat essay so make sure you have a rough idea of it and know roughly what kind of questions to be asked!
eron2463
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MedCrashCourse)
Also to remind you in Leeds from my experience they may ask you about your bmat essay so make sure you have a rough idea of it and know roughly what kind of questions to be asked!
Thansk for that! I’ll make note of the essay I do.
Davo123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Leeds scoring system
Spoiler:
Show

- 27 points available for GCSEs based on best 9 subjects, including English Language, Maths, and either Double Science or Chemistry and Biology. 3 points for an A*, 2 for an A and 1 for a B.
- 5 points available for BMAT score. Points are awarded for the overall score of the 3 components, with 5 points going to the top scoring 20% that applied to Leeds, 4 points to the next 20%, etc.

(A BMAT combined score of 15 should guarantee 5 points. Calculated by adding section 1 score to section 2 score and converting the two section 3 scores to a numerical value of 5 each, for a score out of 28. For example 4.9, 4.1 and 3.5A would give a score of 17.5)

Usually they'd rank personal statements of the top 1000 as well at Stage 1, but the format is changing this year and instead they're calling the top ~1000 for an MMI interview. The scoring is set back to zero here - the final rankings are based on interview performance alone.

Glad I found a 2019 Leeds Medicine thread!

My Stats are:
GCSEs: 10A*s 1A
A-level Predictions: A*A*A* in Biology, Chemistry, and Maths
BMAT aim: 8, 7, 5A

What do you think my chances are? (I am aware my BMAT aim is very high but already nearing that in Section 1 and 3, and I'm gonna start banging out Section 2 soon because Oxford is my first choice so a high BMAT score is very important especially to compensate for my A at GCSE)
Davo123
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content use this for BMAT questions/advice/discussion
The_JoKeR
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Literal_Democrat)
Hi,

You've mentioned that the personal statement isn't scored. In the link to the website on your post, there are download links for the admissions policy and an open day admissions PowerPoint. They both suggest that the personal statement is used pre-interview. Specifically, on one slide, it says that a 'typical candidate securing interview will have a good personal statement'.

Secondly, are you sure that the score for S3 of the BMAT is considered equally to the other scores? I've read elsewhere that Leeds half the S3 score and don't consider the quality of English score (e.g. for the example you gave, the total score would be 4.9 4.1 (3.5/2) = 10.75).

So given this I'm just wondering if you could link us to where you got this info especially regarding the personal statement.

Thanks
Starting this year they're not using personal statement as much, since they're calling 1000 to interview, compared to 600 in the past. As long as your personal statement isn't completely terrible it shouldn't disqualify you. Only source I have for this is the medical student I spoke to during their open day.

Hmm not sure, the BMAT scoring in the OP is what most universities use to score it, but Leeds may be different. I haven't seen anything suggesting that yet, but if you come across it please let me know and I'll update it!
(Original post by Davo123)
Glad I found a 2019 Leeds Medicine thread!

My Stats are:
GCSEs: 10A*s 1A
A-level Predictions: A*A*A* in Biology, Chemistry, and Maths
BMAT aim: 8, 7, 5A

What do you think my chances are? (I am aware my BMAT aim is very high but already nearing that in Section 1 and 3, and I'm gonna start banging out Section 2 soon because Oxford is my first choice so a high BMAT score is very important especially to compensate for my A at GCSE)
You're guaranteed an interview with those stats and a BMAT around that.
pharlmer
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does anybody know how many points are allocated to Access to Leeds applicants?
n.345
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pharlmer)
Does anybody know how many points are allocated to Access to Leeds applicants?
you don't get extra points they just give 'special consideration' when looking at your grades
Foreverton
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don’t understand how the prediction scoring works as I recall them saying that you needed a minimum prediction of AAA to be considered at all?
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Leeds scoring system
Spoiler:
Show

I think you are not quite right about BMAT scoring. They say that S3 has half the weighting of the first 2 sections, so I think your 4.9, 4.1, 3.5A gives a score of 4.9+4.1+8.5/2 = 13.25. That should still be close to the threshold for getting in the top band (5 points).
helphelppls
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I am intending to apply to leeds. Just a qn about the personal statement. I have a volunteering experience that goes on weekly, but I only went when I was able to make it. Can I say I went for it almost weekly to show that its not a one off thing in the personal statement?
rd1709
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sure this will be useful to all in a few weeks....

Leeds Medicine Interview Questions (Interview format & recent interview questions)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?