The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hey if anyone has any question about medicine at please i would love to help!
I've applied to Leeds for Medicine, also I am eligible for A2L. I have heard that if you score 3A's as AS Level then you are given the full 27 points in lieu of GCSE scoring, of course you still have to have to meet the minimum requirements. I was wondering if someone could clarify this information and tell me whether this is true or not.
My stats are:
GCSE - 5A*, 5A, 2C.
AS - AAAB in Biology, Chemistry, Maths & Physics.
A-Level (Achieved) - AAA in Biology, Chemistry & Maths.
Taking BMAT on 31st October.

Thank you.
I've applied to Leeds for Medicine, also I am eligible for A2L. I have heard that if you score 3A's as AS Level then you are given the full 27 points in lieu of GCSE scoring, of course you still have to have to meet the minimum requirements. I was wondering if someone could clarify this information and tell me whether this is true or not because I haven't seen any official documents stating this. Also what was the cut off in terms of points for the most recent academic cycle.
My stats are:
GCSE - 5A*, 5A, 2C.
A-Level (Achieved) - A*AA in Maths, Chemistry & Biology
Extra's - 10 week work experience at the Hospital
6 Months Volunteering at a Hospice
NCS/Football/Badminton

Thank you.
Reply 83
Original post by IAMedicine
I've applied to Leeds for Medicine, also I am eligible for A2L. I have heard that if you score 3A's as AS Level then you are given the full 27 points in lieu of GCSE scoring, of course you still have to have to meet the minimum requirements. I was wondering if someone could clarify this information and tell me whether this is true or not.
My stats are:
GCSE - 5A*, 5A, 2C.
A-Level (Achieved) - AAA in Biology, Chemistry & Maths.

Thank you.

Yes,, provided you are not a graduate, 3 As at AS gives you 27/27, the achieved AAA gives you 8/8, remaining mark up to 5 for BMAT, but as everybody gets at least 1/5, even if you do really badly in BMAT, you have 36/40, which should be enough.
Thanks TLC, do you know what the cut off last year was?
Reply 85
I have a bmat of 3.7, 3.7 and 3A, how many point do you think leeds would give?

Thanks
I've applied to Leeds for Medicine, also I am eligible for A2L. I have heard that if you score 3A's as AS Level then you are given the full 27 points in lieu of GCSE scoring, of course you still have to have to meet the minimum requirements. I was wondering if someone could clarify this information and tell me whether this is true or not because I haven't seen any official documents stating this. Also what was the cut off in terms of points for the most recent academic cycle.
My stats are:
GCSE - 5A*, 5A, 2C.
A-Level (Achieved) - A*AA in Maths, Chemistry & Biology
Extra's - 10 week work experience at the Hospital
6 Months Volunteering at a Hospice
NCS/Football/Badminton

Thank you.

Its posted above, but you get max academic points. You will probably get an interview regardless of BMAT as you can’t score less than 36.
Original post by drjay24
I have a bmat of 3.7, 3.7 and 3A, how many point do you think leeds would give?

Thanks

Probably 3, but you might drop to 2.
Just out of interest has anyone had an email acknowledgment from Leeds after sending off your application?
Reply 89
Just out of interest has anyone had an email acknowledgment from Leeds after sending off your application?

Nothing from Leeds yet.

The Admissions people said that cut off would have been 33 for the cohort that applied last year, but as they have changed their short listing process, it is likely that quite a few applicants will see it as safer now if they have strong GCSEs, so my expectation is that 36 is a fairly safe score, 34/35 may be OK, 33 and lower extremely risky, with possible exception for Access students.
Reply 90
Original post by TCL
Nothing from Leeds yet.

The Admissions people said that cut off would have been 33 for the cohort that applied last year, but as they have changed their short listing process, it is likely that quite a few applicants will see it as safer now if they have strong GCSEs, so my expectation is that 36 is a fairly safe score, 34/35 may be OK, 33 and lower extremely risky, with possible exception for Access students.

It's really weird because graduates automatically get 23 points for being predicted a 2:1 or 1st. Then we get 12 points for GCSE (best 6 including English and maths). A*/A=2 B=1. Then 5 for bmat . So most graduates will probably have 35 plus at least 1 BMAT so 36.
Surely that can't be right as it'll make competition for school leavers very tough
Leeds is so beautiful! The medical school is amazing too - I visited it on the October open day ahaha, did anyone else?

My stats is currently 35 points pre BMAT. BMAT revision is going ok. It's really hard though. But I guess thats the point! Hahaha.
Reply 92
Does anyone know the process with Access to Leeds students? My academics only score 27 (3A*, 4A, 2B. AAA Predicted) but I really want to go to Leeds :frown: I don’t know if the fact I am an access student gives me slightly more of a chance
Reply 93
Original post by Bmd28
It's really weird because graduates automatically get 23 points for being predicted a 2:1 or 1st. Then we get 12 points for GCSE (best 6 including English and maths). A*/A=2 B=1. Then 5 for bmat . So most graduates will probably have 35 plus at least 1 BMAT so 36.
Surely that can't be right as it'll make competition for school leavers very tough

Wow, I wonder if they will get a lot of grads applying. I expect that the percentage of graduate applicants to 5 year courses is not that high, but it does look like the Leeds system will work particularly well for them. The interview to offer rate is not great (1,000 interviews, 360 offers, 256 places). Sheffield is 1,300 interviews, 800 offers, 306 places, so it looks like Leeds might have to change rejection decisions again if many people do not firm them. I think that happened for 2018 cohort.
Has anyone who applied to Access to Leeds had any confirmation yet from the University?
Original post by Sam Chowdhury
Has anyone who applied to Access to Leeds had any confirmation yet from the University?

What’s ur stats ?
Original post by Bidachanee
What’s ur stats ?

Nope not heard anything yet. My stats are 5A*s, 2As, 2Bs at GCSE, predicted A*, A, A. BMAT on 31st. Access to Leeds. What's your stats? :-)
Original post by pharlmer
Nope not heard anything yet. My stats are 5A*s, 2As, 2Bs at GCSE, predicted A*, A, A. BMAT on 31st. Access to Leeds. What's your stats? :-)

3A* 4A 2B
predicted : A* AA
Original post by Bidachanee
3A* 4A 2B
predicted : A* AA

I wish Leeds was as transparent as other unis especially for access to Leeds. Really want to go there but hope its not a wasted choice.
Reply 99
Original post by pharlmer
I wish Leeds was as transparent as other unis especially for access to Leeds. Really want to go there but hope its not a wasted choice.

Me too. I’m an access student and my stats are low but Leeds is my first choice

Latest

Trending

Trending