10 A* 1 A at GCSE - AMA

Watch this thread
_Poseidon_
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My results are definitely not the best on this forum, but I know around this time of the year, I would love to procrastinate by reading AMAs and so I thought I might as well do one myself! Hopefully this helps or motivates any Year 10/Year 11 students.

I got 10 A* (Math, Econ, CompSci, Physics, Bio, Chem, French, Eng Lang, RE, History) and 1 A (Eng Lit). I'm resitting FM as well.

Feel free to ask away about anything, that is either subject specific or just in general

P.S. My attendance in Year 11 was 80% because I had to attend 2 weddings, in December and in February, so I am by default, the King of Last Minute Revision
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
i'd say that 10A*s and 1A is pretty darn good
what did you get in fm the first time? you didn't say...

(Original post by _Poseidon_)
I had to attend 2 weddings, in December and in February, so I am by default, the King of Last Minute Revision
:eyeball:
why does being off school for 2 days make you have 80% attendance?
-Sway-
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What was the easiest subject for you to revise?
ajsar
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
My results are definitely not the best on this forum, but I know around this time of the year, I would love to procrastinate by reading AMAs and so I thought I might as well do one myself! Hopefully this helps or motivates any Year 10/Year 11 students.

I got 10 A* (Math, Econ, CompSci, Physics, Bio, Chem, French, Eng Lang, RE, History) and 1 A (Eng Lit). I'm resitting FM as well.

Feel free to ask away about anything, that is either subject specific or just in general

P.S. My attendance in Year 11 was 80% because I had to attend 2 weddings, in December and in February, so I am by default, the King of Last Minute Revision
how many hours did you revise each day and when did you start revising for your gcses
_Poseidon_
Rep:
(Original post by laurawatt)

I got a B in FM which was rather disappointing. I do the Edexcel IGCSE version which is annoyingly difficult.

I'm Indian. Indian weddings last 1-2 weeks at the minimum. Furthermore, both of my cousins got married (seperately), so we had to go a bit early to help out. Bali (December) & India (Februrary). I live in the middle east.
_Poseidon_
Rep:
(Original post by ajsar)
how many hours did you revise each day and when did you start revising for your gcses
My revision was not ideal and was really skewed. Honestly, start making your notes from NOW. Even if you're in Year 10/11. I started revising towards the end of February, and made detailed notes on CompSci/Sciences, but never read them. I actually didn't manage to finish my science notes, and because I never read over my notes, I had to memorize a mixture of my notes and the CGP Revision Guide stuff on the night of and the morning of my science exams.

I revised around 2-3 hours a day from March-April, but this wasn't active revision which was a massive mistake. I also burned out, so during our 2 week easter holidays, i didn't revise at all which was rather silly. But on the mornings of the exam, when everyone would be chatting and revising, I'd just go to the library and start memorizing facts for as long as I could before my exams.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'm Indian. Indian weddings last 1-2 weeks at the minimum. Furthermore, both of my cousins got married (seperately), so we had to go a bit early to help out. Bali (December) & India (Februrary). I live in the middle east.
no shît...
_Poseidon_
Rep:
(Original post by -Sway-)
What was the easiest subject for you to revise?
RE/History. The Hodder Revision Guides for History are a godsend, and I just looked at them the night before and the day of my exams and got a 9. But i was always intrigued and did well in History.

RE was another story. It was by far the easiest subject for me to revise because I didn't revise for it. I got a D in my mocks and was predicted a D in my GCSE, but by some miracle (I did the "wrong" section - Hinduism instead of Christianity like we were taught), I managed to get 97% in RE (A*).
nells45581
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I got a B in FM which was rather disappointing. I do the Edexcel IGCSE version which is annoyingly difficult.
I know, that exam was bullsh*t. I got a B as well. In fact, scraped one! My only less than good mark, so I feel your pain.

What do you think went wrong in Eng Lit?
username4270212
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

The 80% attendance is to do with the number of days that have passed so far in the year, presumably 10? As time goes on if you're still in school you will have missed a smaller and smaller proportion of the overall lessons so your % attendance will increase but for now, right at the start of the year, it is a high proportion of the overall days elapsed hence the 80% attendance figure. Don't worry about it so long as you are in school from now on that will gradually increase.
_Poseidon_
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
no shît...
Ahahahha yeahh, it's honestly so much fun, but it really is time consuming. We have so many different rituals and traditions, it isn't as simple as weddings in other cultures.

But I explicitly told my relatives to plan their weddings during the summer or next year, because I absolutely cannot afford to skip school during Y12/Y13.
morgan424
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
how do you revise when your revision is last minute, any specific techniques or such?
_Poseidon_
Rep:
(Original post by nells45581)
I know, that exam was bullsh*t. I got a B as well. In fact, scraped one! My only less than good mark, so I feel your pain.

What do you think went wrong in Eng Lit?
FM was actually ridiculous. I bought an AQA FSMQ revision guide by mistake once, and it looked like a joke compared to IGCSE FM. But i guess I'm better prepared for C1C2 etc... for A Level Math

I mean, I was always relatively good at Lit, but I just didn't put any effort in and it really showed. I didn't bother memorizing any quotes or anything, but I still thought I did pretty well, because the only poem I did revise came up. My English Teacher told me to get a remark, but I really can't be fussed over an A-A*. I'm alright with an A in Lit.
_Poseidon_
Rep:

Hahaha, thank you so much! I'm really pleased with my results. It's just that I often see people comment "So many people have gotten better results than you, what makes you think you can give advice" on other AMA threads, so I just thought that I might as well preface this AMA with that
nells45581
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
FM was actually ridiculous. I bought an AQA FSMQ revision guide by mistake once, and it looked like a joke compared to IGCSE FM. But i guess I'm better prepared for C1C2 etc... for A Level Math

I mean, I was always relatively good at Lit, but I just didn't put any effort in and it really showed. I didn't bother memorizing any quotes or anything, but I still thought I did pretty well, because the only poem I did revise came up. My English Teacher told me to get a remark, but I really can't be fussed over an A-A*. I'm alright with an A in Lit.
Yeah, true. In my A Level maths class the kids who did FM are way ahead of the rest. The teacher even said we basically have first year covered lol

Oh no you've gotta revise those quotes... maybe poetry not so much, but set literature, you have to know what's going on there.
_Poseidon_
Rep:
(Original post by morgan424)
how do you revise when your revision is last minute, any specific techniques or such?
For sciences, I just went over my notes like crazy. I'd also look at the CGP revision guide and start memorizing it. The way I'd do it is just start talking to myself and try to explain everything to myself and just recite it. I'd also go through the CGP workbook, look at the answers, and just write them in. Then before the exam, I would just look at all of these questions with their respective answers, and chances are, one of those questions or type of questions is going to come up on the test.

For History, I just read the Hodder Revision Guide. It is the best thing to ever bless this planet. I just read that, and on the day of the exam, I'd get together with 3-4 of my mates, and we'd just draw these massive mindmaps on the board and blurt out anything and everything we know about the topic. E.g. a mindmap on 1250-1500 in Warfare.

For Math, I did it in Year 10, and I just did past paper after past paper. I didn't have time to revise or do any past papers for FM, but that would definitely be the way to go when dealing with math.
_Poseidon_
Rep:
(Original post by nells45581)
Yeah, true. In my A Level maths class the kids who did FM are way ahead of the rest. The teacher even said we basically have first year covered lol

Oh no you've gotta revise those quotes... maybe poetry not so much, but set literature, you have to know what's going on there.
Yeah, it's weird because I got an 8 in the literature paper, but a 7 in the poetry section which I felt really confident in. Some of my mates have remarked their lit papers and have achieved 15 more marks, whereas others haven't gained any marks. I didn't really want to take the risk.
P.Ree
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
10 A* and 1 A is great but can you play Crisis at full HD settings?
_Poseidon_
Rep:
(Original post by P.Ree)
10 A* and 1 A is great but can you play Crisis at full HD settings?
My laptop is an absolute potato. I barely manage to run CS:GO at 55 fps on a 4:3 ratio
The RAR
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I got 12 A*s at GCSE, sooooooooo?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.71%
The paper was reasonable (68)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
15.88%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.41%

Watched Threads