The Student Room Group

Does bullying happen at university

I don’t know is it true or what but I hear stories about it such as some victims being left out by their peers, being humiliated in front of everybody etc.
Reply 1
Yes, bullying can happen anywhere. Hopefully though people have grown up and it happens less.
Bullying will happen at every stage of life in every environment. There's always people for whom the only way to make themselves feel important is to pick on somebody weaker. At least in university everyone is more mature than they were in school, so these cowards will be harder to come across, and you can have a larger support network of people on your side.
Original post by DillyDilly0121
I don’t know is it true or what but I hear stories about it such as some victims being left out by their peers, being humiliated in front of everybody etc.

In my experience, you will find bullies in most environments where a lot of people are together. Human nature is what it is, but at uni you might find it though there are channels you can use if you feel bullied. Never experienced it personally - not easy to bully a 70 year old, but people of all ages mixed together - no problem.
If you feel threatened by anyone, you go to your personal tutor/student rep.
Reply 4
Generally universities have low tolerance for that behaviour if it is reported.
Far less so than at schools, in my opinion.

Probably because universities are so large, often with 20,000+ students, so it's completely possible to avoid anyone you don't want to see, whereas at school, you're stuck with the same people day in, day out.
Reply 6
in my humble opinion, you're more likely to make enemies in drunken spirals at the club or pub. just try to control your drink and avoid troublemakers if you can on weekends out.
Bullying is everywhere you can even face it in work but it’s not as much as school because people are mature and grown up
There are bullies everywhere but things are different at uni/work. At school you get nasty people who have to put others down. Those people exist everywhere. However most of the hanger-ons and the people who just avoid and isolate bully victims out of fear for themselves tend not to exist so much at higher levels. It's much easier to avoid bullies at a larger uni and generally outright bullying will not be tolerated in halls/lectures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending