Occupational health check for nursing applicants - vaccinations Watch

SmilingWombat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
What vaccinations (or proof thereof) are required from nursing applicants for the occupational health check? Does it vary between unis or is it consistent across the board?

I had my childhood vaccinations a long time ago and in another country so it will be impossible for me to find any medical evidence of having had my vaccinations. Rather than having them all again, does anyone know if titre testing results will be acceptable proof? I would prefer to only have the vaccinations that I need. If I do need to have every vaccination again, I would rather spread it out over the coming year than have it all done at once.
lilibet01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SmilingWombat)
What vaccinations (or proof thereof) are required from nursing applicants for the occupational health check? Does it vary between unis or is it consistent across the board?

I had my childhood vaccinations a long time ago and in another country so it will be impossible for me to find any medical evidence of having had my vaccinations. Rather than having them all again, does anyone know if titre testing results will be acceptable proof? I would prefer to only have the vaccinations that I need. If I do need to have every vaccination again, I would rather spread it out over the coming year than have it all done at once.
I had a blood test to check for immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and chicken pox - all were fine. The only one that I needed was Hep B. Chances are that like me you will have immunity and won't need them all again but you might not be allowed on placement without it.
SmilingWombat
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilibet01)
I had a blood test to check for immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and chicken pox - all were fine. The only one that I needed was Hep B. Chances are that like me you will have immunity and won't need them all again but you might not be allowed on placement without it.
Thank you, that's really useful to know. Did the uni arrange the testing for immunity, or did you get that done privately by yourself? I will definitely have any vaccinations that are recommended, just cautious about having so many at once particularly if I won't need them all.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SmilingWombat)

It would be advisable to get in touch with the occupational health department at universities you are interested in applying to to check their requirements.

Generally, students provide a printed, signed and dated copy of their childhood immunisations from their GP. Previously, students have managed to get copies of these from other countries. University policies will dictate whether immunity testing is possible/acceptable and how this is arranged.
lilibet01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I was tested by the Occupational Health team because as a mature student I didn't have a printed record. My university was fine with this.
SmilingWombat
Rep:
?
Thank you both for your replies. I will contact the unis I am applying to and see what they say.

I'm updating just incase anyone else comes along with the same question. Where printed evidence of previous immunisation is not available they arrange screening, so don't worry if you can't get copies of this evidence. The uni's occupational health team arranges all the screening checks for you, they titre test and only vaccinate where it's needed. This applies to Surrey, I suspect other unis will be the same.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.12%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (390)
56.93%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.01%

Watched Threads