The Student Room Group

I lied about my height on an online dating site, I have a date with a girl. Advice?

I didn't lie by much, but there's obviously no getting away from the fact I did lie. I am slightly over 5'10 and I said I am 6' (lets be honest, most guys do it, mainly because girls on these sites usually auto-reject guys below 6 foot).

I managed to get a date with a girl (which is a massive accomplishment in itself for any average looking male on a dating website).

She is 5'8. So she is going to notice the difference between 5'10 and 6'. If she was 5'3 or something, I wouldn't care. Most girls can't tell the difference between 5'10 and 6' when they are that height. But a taller girl can obviously tell the difference.

What do I do? I think I have 2 options (unless anyone can think of another option):

1. Go as normal, hope she doesn't notice. If she does notice, make up an excuse.

2. Buy some insoles or shoes with a bigger heel before the date. They don't need to be that big. If they can add 1-2" to my height, that would be fine.

I'm leaning towards option 2. Obviously if I took my shoes off, she'd notice I was shorter than 6' (I can't see any reason I'd be taking my shoes off).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't lie by much, but there's obviously no getting away from the fact I did lie. I am slightly over 5'10 and I said I am 6' (lets be honest, most guys do it, mainly because girls on these sites usually auto-reject guys below 6 foot).

I managed to get a date with a girl (which is a massive accomplishment in itself for any average looking male on a dating website).

She is 5'8. So she is going to notice the difference between 5'10 and 6'. If she was 5'3 or something, I wouldn't care. Most girls can't tell the difference between 5'10 and 6' when they are that height. But a taller girl can obviously tell the difference.

What do I do? I think I have 2 options (unless anyone can think of another option):

1. Go as normal, hope she doesn't notice. If she does notice, make up an excuse.

2. Buy some insoles or shoes with a bigger heel before the date. They don't need to be that big. If they can add 1-2" to my height, that would be fine.

I'm leaning towards option 2. Obviously if I took my shoes off, she'd notice I was shorter than 6' (I can't see any reason I'd be taking my shoes off).

option 1 whether she realises or not. option 2 ur still tricking her
Reply 2
Original post by T-Th
option 1 whether she realises or not. option 2 ur still tricking her
Well don't girls trick up all the time by wearing makeup, push-up bras, padded underwear, hair dye etc? This is the same thing really. But artificially increasing your height as a guy is somehow frowned upon, yet all the things women do are somehow fine.
Reply 3
You screwed up.

Even if you did try to cover your height with insoles, how long would you be able to keep it going for? Don't lie about physical attributes like that.

Go along with what you started for this girl at least.
How do you know she isn't lying about being 5'8"?

Maybe you'll both turn up, she'll be 5'4" and you'll be relatively taller than her and you can just both not say anything
Reply 5
*trick us
Yeah just go with option 2. If you identify as being taller then you should be able to pretend to be taller! Don't let other people bring you down and express yourself the way you are!
Reply 7
Ok thanks. But you don't understand how girls operate on these dating sites. They literally sift through the profiles of guys who message them (and believe me, they get hundreds of messages) and auto-reject anyone below 6 foot. Even if you are great in every other way. It's not just a few girls who do this, but 99.9% of them do it.

In the real world, it's obviously not like this (and I don't artificially boost my height in the real world), but online dating, you have to exaggerate here and there to even get a reply to your message!

Original post by UWS
You screwed up.

Even if you did try to cover your height with insoles, how long would you be able to keep it going for? Don't lie about physical attributes like that.

Go along with what you started for this girl at least.
That's assuming a) I take my shoes off b) she becomes a long term girlfriend. We might just meet for 1 or 2 dates and that's it. I can always cut contact before she finds out I am shorter than I said.

Original post by Trinculo
How do you know she isn't lying about being 5'8"?

Maybe you'll both turn up, she'll be 5'4" and you'll be relatively taller than her and you can just both not say anything
That's true, she could also be lying.
You could also be hideously ugly or deformed, in which case the lying about your height is the least of your troubles.

Of course she's lying.

Just blow dry your hair to give it a bit of pomp and no one will notice.
Reply 10
Well don't girls trick up all the time by wearing makeup, push-up bras, padded underwear, hair dye etc? This is the same thing really. But artificially increasing your height as a guy is somehow frowned upon, yet all the things women do are somehow fine.

yh I get it, ur both tricking each other somehow but ur judged cuz its double standards. I mean ur height doesn't matter but u should embrace it and if she has a problem then drop her.

I mean if option 2 is what u want then do it
Original post by Reality Check
You could also be hideously ugly or deformed, in which case the lying about your height is the least of your troubles.
Yeah I could be, but I'm not. I don't get your point. :tongue:

Original post by Trinculo
Of course she's lying.

Just blow dry your hair to give it a bit of pomp and no one will notice.
Why "of course"? Why would a girl need to lie about her height? Guys do not care about a girl's height, only girls do. I don't see why she would need to lie about being 5'8 - like it would make any difference to how many messages she would receive.

Why "of course"? Why would a girl need to lie about her height? Guys do not care about a girl's height, only girls do. I don't see why she would need to lie about being 5'8 - like it would make any difference to how many messages she would receive.

OK - but she could be some enormous fatty, and just doctored her photos. You go in for your date, all 5'8" of you and she's like 'wtf...you said you were six foot. And she's sat there gorging on chips looking like she's ready to be harpooned. Job done - you're both quits.
Reply 13

I could step in for you, I'm 6ft.
Reply 14

also rather than worring about ur height, worry if shes a catfish. also loads of girls add 1 or 2 inches to their acc height so she might not even be 5'8

Of course she's lying. Girls lie about everything. She's probably lying about showing up for your date.

Honestly, how many 5'8" women have you ever met in your life? That would put her in like the 95th percentile of women. She almost certainly stated her height in heels if there is any truth to it whatsoever.

Apart from anything else, she probably doesn't even know how tall she is, or how tall 6' is. Most women don't even know their own bra size - they guess what they'd like it to be and then buy that.

Why would she lie? So that she can intimidate dudes who are not as tall as she'd like, and only people who are as tall as she wants will message her.
Reply 16

Most men inflate their height when they list it online. typically between 1 and 2 inches ....although you do get the odd one who goes for more.

i know a lot of dude's who have inflated their height between 1 and 2 inches and they've never been called on during a date.

my advice. simply don't say anything. yeah she will notice ..but as you are taller than her i doubt she will even mention it or make a big deal out of it.

1 or 2 inches isn't a massive lie anyway. most people get away with it

if you start wearing shoe lifts you're an idiot because you are exasperating a lie that isn't a massive deal, and once she does find out you are wearing shoe lifts [and she will sooner or later if you start dating] ..your little white lie has now become a massive one and quite frankly there's a fair chance of being dumped for it
(edited 5 years ago)
Say you go by Byzantine measurements.. she doesn’t need to know I just made that up.

Just gp on date as you are, if she is attracted to you she won't care that your not 6ft.
Don't wear high heels and don't give an explanation if she doesn't ask.
If she's rude or acts offended that you told such a small white lie just say well women turn up in dates caked in makeup but at the end of the night they have to take it off and they look nothing like they do in their pictures, No I'm joking don't say that unless she's acting like a complete ***** or thinks she's better than you.

Meet her only at night in the evening then go to a restaurant or bar that is very dark inside like Hakassan chinese restaurant or plan to go somewhere that will take her mind off your height like going somewhere fun like to a comedy club or a Theatre or Shaka Zulu restaurant/bar/club in Camden on Friday or Saturday night because she will be so impressed with that Shaka Zulu restaurant she won't care about your height because of the good time she had there. Look up both those restaurants on You Tube and you'll see what their like. Or look up Tiger Tiger bar. These are all in London but if you live outside of London look up nice places to go on google then look them up on You Tube to see the videos of what they look like inside.
If you get to the date earlier than her go inside and sit down then just get up only when she gets close to the table or bar to kiss her on both cheeks and she won't notice your height.
Don't go to the toilet or she will notice as your walking away as she will be watching you

The lie you told isn't as bad as a bloke who told me he has long hair but when I met him he was bald as a coot, lol
I said to him I thought you said you had hair and he laughed and said yeah, I lied.
This was a long time ago when this happened though.
Ok thanks. But you don't understand how girls operate on these dating sites. They literally sift through the profiles of guys who message them (and believe me, they get hundreds of messages) and auto-reject anyone below 6 foot. Even if you are great in every other way. It's not just a few girls who do this, but 99.9% of them do it.

In the real world, it's obviously not like this (and I don't artificially boost my height in the real world), but online dating, you have to exaggerate here and there to even get a reply to your message!

That's assuming a) I take my shoes off b) she becomes a long term girlfriend. We might just meet for 1 or 2 dates and that's it. I can always cut contact before she finds out I am shorter than I said.

Women don't lie

Quick Reply

Latest