Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I find this unit the hardest as it is not about cramming information, it's more about applying it, are there any tips people can give for this unit? Unit 1 and 2 are alright, although you have to know a lot, but it's just unit 3

ReputationRep:
    I did module three in January and got full marks on the paper.

My teacher organised all of our so called "topics" into mini-essays (things like Actus Reus, Mens Rea, Strict Liability etc.) and for the exam, we memorised them. In the first part of Criminal Law, you have to talk about some of these terms. By memorising them, come the exam, you know exactly what to write. My big issue for exams is timing, yet if you keep an eye on the clock you will be okay. Stick to the timing, a minute a mark, and be honest with yourself when it is time to move on.

For the application of law (Criminal), set it out like this:

Identify a possible offence (X could be charged with Y on Z)
    Definition of offence with authority
    State the actus reus (the actus reus of assault requires d to fear immediate unlawful personal violence)
    decide from the facts if the actus reus has been committed. USE CASES TO SUPPORT YOUR ANSWER
    State and apply rules of causation
    state mens rea of offence
    decide whether defendant has mens rea
    conclude in one sentence.

I think Module 3 is especially stingy on time, but if you know exactly what you are writing about and if you know your stuff inside out, you will have absolutely no problem. The one thing I would say is back up everything you say with a case - examiners will give you sound understanding if you do so.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I may have my notes lying around for tort as well if you need advice for those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren2222)
    I did module three in January and got full marks on the paper.

My teacher organised all of our so called "topics" into mini-essays (things like Actus Reus, Mens Rea, Strict Liability etc.) and for the exam, we memorised them. In the first part of Criminal Law, you have to talk about some of these terms. By memorising them, come the exam, you know exactly what to write. My big issue for exams is timing, yet if you keep an eye on the clock you will be okay. Stick to the timing, a minute a mark, and be honest with yourself when it is time to move on.

For the application of law (Criminal), set it out like this:

Identify a possible offence (X could be charged with Y on Z)
    Definition of offence with authority
    State the actus reus (the actus reus of assault requires d to fear immediate unlawful personal violence)
    decide from the facts if the actus reus has been committed. USE CASES TO SUPPORT YOUR ANSWER
    State and apply rules of causation
    state mens rea of offence
    decide whether defendant has mens rea
    conclude in one sentence.

I think Module 3 is especially stingy on time, but if you know exactly what you are writing about and if you know your stuff inside out, you will have absolutely no problem. The one thing I would say is back up everything you say with a case - examiners will give you sound understanding if you do so.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I may have my notes lying around for tort as well if you need advice for those.
    Hey thanks I find this unit the hardest. Unit 1 + 2 is just memorising a lot of things, but unit 3 is about application. Yes please if you have any tort notes i would be grateful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 1, 2008

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.