How much do I really need to write to get full marks on AQA English Language Papers? Watch

MichaelTownly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I haven't found anything on the mark scheme that are related to the quantity of answers, but it seems that many people wrote many paragraphs for questions that only worth 8 marks. Has anyone here lost marks for simply not writing enough? I feel that for section A 2 sets of quotations and analysis is enough and the response shouldn't exceed a maximum of 150 words. Do you think that I am correct?
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I highly doubt that you're right.

There's a reason the mark-scheme itself doesn't specify a quantity of writing required for any standard of answer. It's clearly a tacit way of stating that it's quality that matters, not quantity. I got full marks for Edexcel language paper 2 and creative writing in paper 1. I'm certain that there were some people that wrote more than me for a few of the high-tariff questions. You should be aiming to write to the standard of the top level, however many lines or words that may take.
MichaelTownly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Today I got the results from a few paper 1 questions that I did a week ago, the teacher didn't mention anything wrong with the quality of my content but instead said that I need to write a few more paragraphs. For example for question 2 the language question I wrote one paragraph my teacher commented that my response is excellent but needs 1-2 more paragraphs. I only got 4/8 and I guess I lost marks for simply not writing enough. I only wrote one paragraph because that was really how much I could come up within 8 minutes(the question is worth 8 marks so you shouldn't spent more time than that) . On the exam information teacher's notes (https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...AM_INFO_TN.PDF) it says that on question 2 "Marks are given for the quality and level of response rather than number of points made."
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MichaelTownly)
Today I got the results from a few paper 1 questions that I did a week ago, the teacher didn't mention anything wrong with the quality of my content but instead said that I need to write a few more paragraphs. For example for question 2 the language question I wrote one paragraph my teacher commented that my response is excellent but needs 1-2 more paragraphs. I only got 4/8 and I guess I lost marks for simply not writing enough. I only wrote one paragraph because that was really how much I could come up within 8 minutes(the question is worth 8 marks so you shouldn't spent more time than that) . On the exam information teacher's notes (https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...AM_INFO_TN.PDF) it says that on question 2 "Marks are given for the quality and level of response rather than number of points made."
AQA is correct. Show it to your teacher.
Your Local Dog
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MichaelTownly)
I haven't found anything on the mark scheme that are related to the quantity of answers, but it seems that many people wrote many paragraphs for questions that only worth 8 marks. Has anyone here lost marks for simply not writing enough? I feel that for section A 2 sets of quotations and analysis is enough and the response shouldn't exceed a maximum of 150 words. Do you think that I am correct?
for questions 2 and 3 you should typically write 2 long paragraphs with very innovative ideas, or 3 paragraphs with still innovative ideas, but, with possibly less writing. Question 4 - you should write 4-6 paragraphs. Obviously with lots of detail relating to the initial question. Q5 can depend; some write lots whilst some write not so much. Honestly, 4 paragraphs are enough for q5 as long as there is lots of quality.

quality > quantity.

for paper 2 this should also apply, except question 4. For q4 you can get away with writing less.

Make sure you don't write too much. Examiners get paid by the paper, not the hour so they aren't going to want to spend 7 hours marking one paper. Elongated answers will make them more tired and less likely to want to read more of your work. keep it concise with good quality. Especially question 5.

I got a grade 8 in language and a grade 6 in literature (didn't revise literature lmao) so this worked for me.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads