The Student Room Group

Is there a point of doing 2009 papers?

I’m thinking I might still fail even if I do 2009? 2009 may be very different to the 9-1 gcse edexcel maths
Original post by GlitterAttack
I’m thinking I might still fail even if I do 2009? 2009 may be very different to the 9-1 gcse edexcel maths
2009 papers are too old even for the previous specification (which began in 2012). There will be benefit to practicisng more questions, it just won't be as valuable as some of the 9-1 centred papers.

There is no way to say whether you will "fail" or not. Depends what you define as a fail. GCSEs do not have binary outcomes.
2009 papers would just help you practice the content, wouldn't reflect the difficulty of the 9-1 papers though. nothing wrong with doing them and doing said paper doesn't mean you'll defo fail or pass.
Original post by GlitterAttack

Maths is still maths. Most of the topics tested in 2009 can still tested in similar ways to papers in the 9-1 specification. There are some topics in 9-1 that were not tested in 2009. The problem solving style of many 9-1 questions is different and in some ways more challenging from what you will see in a 2009 paper. If you only did 2009 papers then you would not be well prepared for questions you would face in the 9-1 exams but doing them can't cause any harm to your maths ability and will give some practice of topics that will be tested in the same way in your exams. Make sure you do all of the 9-1 past papers and practice papers that you can but doing older stuff won't hurt.

Quick Reply