The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sainsburysbasics
I have checked my junk email and it’s not there. Does this mean I’ve been rejected? 😔

Your UCAS hasn't been updated right? So do not start worrying yet; it could technical issues. Make sure to call the admission team on Monday😓
Has anyone received their eligibility form??

They said they'd send it in November so maybe they'd start doing so next week?
Original post by seph_muriel
Hi there,
I was wondering how the interview is like for this course. Southampton do traditional interview style right so would the questions mainly be based around your personal statement and work experience? How best to prepare?
What exactly are you studying on the course? On the website it just says "successful completion of the course would guarantee you a place in BM5 course year 1", what score do you need to get to move onto BM5?
Are you enjoying your course? How's uni life at Southampton and why Southampton? What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?
About how many people are there on the course and on your student card, are you a pre-med or medic with foundation year (BM6)? Do you mingle with the BM5 students?

Sorry for the overrrrrload of questions 😓😓😓. It's just there's not much about this course online and I know nobody who's done it so I have all these unanswered questions😓😓😓.

Hi,

Southampton do two interview types on the same day, so you will have a group task and then a normal traditional interview. Cant say what the questions are based about (sorry). The way I prepared was 1) be myself 2) confidence. BM6 is BM5 but with a pre "foundation" year, you need to pass all exams to move onto BM5. Im in love with the course, the lecturers are so helpful, dedicated and have a sense of humour. You also become very close with people from your class as its very small. The university is beautiful, we are also getting a new medicine building at the hospital. I've mentioned my stats above on a different post. The actual university is beautiful. Halls are nice and very live, plus its a new experience. why Southampton? do you mean the are or uni. we are referred to as medics (doctors on placements call us pre-med). BM6 is also good as you start placements from second week on the course (most unit don't) even BM5 don't start placements this early. We don't mingle with the BM5s a lot as we are not taught together, but your tutor will be from BM5 and medic parents will be BM5, also if you attend medsoc events you will mingle with them. In my class this year we have 20 people due to a lot of people not getting the grades, usually the uni would have allowed people who missed the offer by one grade to get in. This has now changed, so you have to get the grades.
(Original post by Yahya1997)
Hi,

Southampton do two interview types on the same day, so you will have a group task and then a normal traditional interview. Cant say what the questions are based about (sorry). The way I prepared was 1) be myself 2) confidence. BM6 is BM5 but with a pre "foundation" year, you need to pass all exams to move onto BM5. Im in love with the course, the lecturers are so helpful, dedicated and have a sense of humour. You also become very close with people from your class as its very small. The university is beautiful, we are also getting a new medicine building at the hospital. I've mentioned my stats above on a different post. The actual university is beautiful. Halls are nice and very live, plus its a new experience. why Southampton? do you mean the are or uni. we are referred to as medics (doctors on placements call us pre-med). BM6 is also good as you start placements from second week on the course (most unit don't) even BM5 don't start placements this early. We don't mingle with the BM5s a lot as we are not taught together, but your tutor will be from BM5 and medic parents will be BM5, also if you attend medsoc events you will mingle with them. In my class this year we have 20 people due to a lot of people not getting the grades, usually the uni would have allowed people who missed the offer by one grade to get in. This has now changed, so you have to get the grades.

Hello, thank you so much for replying! I'll try to prepare as best as I can for the interviews😓. I meant both the area and uni and why you firmed Southampton to the other unis you applied to. I've never been (yet) so I don't really know what to expect but seeing as you've described it, you seem to be having a good experience so far so I think I'll enjoy my time there too (when I'm actually given an offer😂)
Oh wow starting placement earlier sounds so exciting for sure; that's something I didn't know. Being part of a small class sounds good too; you learn better and have more help available I guess. Are all your classmates school leavers or is there a range of different ages? I look forward to it now😆 but first I must land myself an interview🙏🏾
I wonder, if you don't pass all your exams, do you get transferred to another course (biomed)?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Yahya1997
Hi,

What is this about? Did alot of people not get the A-level required grades (BBB) or fail the first year?
Your UCAS hasn't been updated right? So do not start worrying yet; it could technical issues. Make sure to call the admission team on Monday😓

It say's 'this univeristy is currently considering your appllication'
It say's 'this univeristy is currently considering your appllication'

Then you haven't been rejected if they're still considering your application😊
Reply 47
Hi guys :smile: my stats are
GCSE's: 2 A*, 6A's, 1B
A-levels achieved: A in English Literature
Predicted A-levels: A*AA
UKCAT: 615
Is there a groupchat?Also does anyone know how much they consider what you write in the eligibility form as it seems a lot of people meet the requirements so was wondering if they decide who gets interview based on how you answer the questions on the form as well as the personal statement?
I received my eligibility form this morning, anybody else received theirs?

Me
i got mine!!!
Original post by medic2001
Me

Me too
@Yahya1997 How important are the 3 questions on the eligibility form? Do people get invited to interview based on well these are answered? :smile:
Reply 53
'Why is the BM6 Southampton programme right for you?'
Kind of unsure what to write, anyone got any ideas?
@Yahya1997 Why did you pick the BM6 programme?:bunny:
(Original post by Yahya1997)

Hello, thank you so much for replying! I'll try to prepare as best as I can for the interviews😓. I meant both the area and uni and why you firmed Southampton to the other unis you applied to. I've never been (yet) so I don't really know what to expect but seeing as you've described it, you seem to be having a good experience so far so I think I'll enjoy my time there too (when I'm actually given an offer😂)
Oh wow starting placement earlier sounds so exciting for sure; that's something I didn't know. Being part of a small class sounds good too; you learn better and have more help available I guess. Are all your classmates school leavers or is there a range of different ages? I look forward to it now😆 but first I must land myself an interview🙏🏾
I wonder, if you don't pass all your exams, do you get transferred to another course (biomed)?

Most of them are gap years like me. very few straight from sixth from. If you fail the retakes in August then you get kicked out unless you have circumstances, no you won't be offered an alternative.
What is this about? Did alot of people not get the A-level required grades (BBB) or fail the first year?

people didn't get the BBB required, plus the dean of medicine said no more letting in people who have missed in by 1 grade, which would have happened in previous years
@Yahya1997 How important are the 3 questions on the eligibility form? Do people get invited to interview based on well these are answered? :smile:

Funnily enough me and the Head of BM6 had a conversation about this. I can't say on how important it is. But like anything with medicine, answer truthfully and to the best of your knowledge.
Original post by Aradini
'Why is the BM6 Southampton programme right for you?'
Kind of unsure what to write, anyone got any ideas?
@Yahya1997 Why did you pick the BM6 programme?:bunny:

Look above. Plus don't choose the reasons on why I done it. Look at what you want from a programme and if soton have it
One of the questions on the additional form they sent is `Explain why the BM6 at Southampton is right for you` what kind of things would be right to talk about here as it seem similar to `reflect on how a challenging experience you have had will help you as a medical student`. I wanted to discuss that due to having health problems the BM6 would ease me into medicine which question is this more appropriate for and is discussing health a good idea?
Reply 59
Hi has anyone any idea how many candidates have applied and how many are likely to be interviewed for the BM6 course this year?
Any idea how many offers are likely to be given following on from interview can't find any stats on the BM6 course for the last few years..
Daughter hoping to get an opportunity to study medicine, meets criteria but not sure how interview selection is performed .

Latest

Trending

Trending