Treaty of Versailles Watch

sarnai.sainbayar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Explain why people in Germany resented the Treaty of Versailles. (12 marks) Military terms Diktat (12)
I'mCookieMonster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Because:
-it forced Germany to pay a large amount of reparations
-the War Guilt Clause meant that Germany had to accept full responsibility for World War 1
-the army was reduced significantly (cant remember the exact statistic)
-Germany lost territory such as the Rhineland
nells45581
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by I'mCookieMonster)
Because:
-the War Guilt Clause meant that Germany had to accept full responsibility for World War 1
-there was a popular theory that they'd never actually lost the war (because in Germany, the Army can Do No Wrong amen) it was just greedy politicians dobbing them in, i.e. a DOLSCHTOSS a stab in the back.

The army statistic is reduced to 100,000 men by the way.
I'mCookieMonster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by nells45581)
-there was a popular theory that they'd never actually lost the war (because in Germany, the Army can Do No Wrong amen) it was just greedy politicians dobbing them in, i.e. a DOLSCHTOSS a stab in the back.

The army statistic is reduced to 100,000 men by the way.
And that's where the politicians were dubbed the 'November Criminals'. I think thats it- scanning my mind for more points from the GCSE and Im coming up with nothing!
Kansspel
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Because:
Germany didn’t outright lose the Rhineland however it was demilitarised which led to a France and Belgium occupying the Ruhr industrial region.

Germany also lost the ability to have an Air Force as part alongside a drastically reduced Army and Navy.

I was taught it as LAMB:
L - Land - Territories like the Polish corridor (Danzig) and the mineral rich land of Silesia was lost.
A - Army - The drastic reduction of the Army and Navy as well as the abolition of the Air Force.
M - Money - The treaty placed an atrocious amount of reparations on the now wrecked German state.
B - Blame - As mentioned, the War Guilt claus pinned the blame entirely on Germany.
nells45581
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
And that's where the politicians were dubbed the 'November Criminals'. I think thats it- scanning my mind for more points from the GCSE and Im coming up with nothing!
I did that module for GCSE, and currently doing a similar one for A-Level. I think that's all the important stuff. It was termed a "diktat" as OP suggests, meaning a harsh decree imposed without popular consent. The German people just didn't seem to realise that their leaders' hands were tied.
I_Hate_School
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Diktat translates to ‘dictated peace’. I guess this shows that Germany believes they wrongly had no say in the terms. The reparations (article 232) were also incredibly high at £6.6 billion which were very unaffordable considering the damage ww1 did (eg. 60000 widows which would cost a lot in war pensions etc. <- atleast I think xD). Article 231 was the war guilt clause which meant Germany took full responsibility despite other countries contributing to the start of the war. Military heavily reduced such as demilitarised Rhineland and they couldn’t have any submarines or tanks which made them feel vulnerable and at threat from neighbouring countries (especially communists).
I did history for GCSE last year so sorry if I get something wrong as I can’t remember if I got this exactly right but I hope this kind of helps!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Germanyisthebest
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'll try answering from what I remember.

Germans resented the Treaty of Versailles because it set a biased and unfair peace. Germany ended up being blamed for World War 1, even though it wasn't truly Germany that started the war (the war started between Serbia and the Austro-Hungarian Empire). Germany couldn't refuse the agreement, since that would mean the eradication of the German state. Germany was then made to pay HUGE war reparations which lead Germany into extreme poverty and leaning towards extremist, hopeful ideals (this lead to the rise of Hitler). The army was significantly reduced (to 100,000 men), and Germany was then not allowed to form any alliances again, or something of the sort. Germany also ended up losing a lot of land to neighbouring countries, such as Danzig in Poland. Also I remember reading a book about Hitler called "The Dark Charisma of Adolf Hitler: Leading Millions into the Abyss" by Laurence Rees, that the German soldiers didn't even feel defeated at the end of WW1 and were hugely upset with the termination of the war. Also I HIGHLY recommend reading that book, it might be one of the best books I read when it comes to the Treaty of Versailles' impact on Germany and how Hitler ended up rising to power.

So to summarise, Germans resented the Treaty of Versailles because it severely weakened Germany in every aspect (army, economically, socially) and it was based on an unfair and foolish peace. [I think this answer should get you 12 marks]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.62%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (37)
18.59%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.54%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.08%

Watched Threads