The Student Room Group

Opinions on doing your hobby as a career choice or keeping it separate?

Just wondering what people think☺️
Hello,

This is a tricky one - they say if you do something you love, you'll never work a day in your life but would making that thing into your job take away your love for it?

I suppose it comes down to why it's a hobby for you - if it's something you could invest everyday into and always enjoy, then yes - who wouldn't love to do their hobby as a career? But if your hobby helps you to relax and keeps you calm, it's probably not a good idea to make it into a job.

What do you think?

Abbi

University of Huddersfield rep
Reply 2
Ideally a hobby, but the world being as it is some could actually be happier with a job purely for more money and job security

Although I don't think I've ever met someone who did their hobby for a career and regretted it, but have of course for those who didn't do their hobby
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hello,

This is a tricky one - they say if you do something you love, you'll never work a day in your life but would making that thing into your job take away your love for it?

I suppose it comes down to why it's a hobby for you - if it's something you could invest everyday into and always enjoy, then yes - who wouldn't love to do their hobby as a career? But if your hobby helps you to relax and keeps you calm, it's probably not a good idea to make it into a job.

What do you think?

Abbi

I like that answer.

I think if you can, you should engage in both, and then tune into your heart and gut desire to follow through on that. Many people's hobbies became their careers and vice-versa, and many have kept both separate yet simultaneous.
To be honest, I'd say it depends on what the hobby is. There are some things that would feel like a chore if you had to do them. For example, I am a professional writer. I enjoy writing for fun, but the things I need to do to a deadline really drag - even when they're enjoyable topics. But it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the writing I do in addition.

If you can let us know what the hobby is, we might be able to help :smile:.
Original post by Kiritsugu
I like that answer.

I think if you can, you should engage in both, and then tune into your heart and gut desire to follow through on that. Many people's hobbies became their careers and vice-versa, and many have kept both separate yet simultaneous.

Definitely, it's a personal thing - as long as it makes you happy!

Abbi

Quick Reply

Latest