Elena1977
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone, I am in the process of applying for the 3 yr funded training to become and Educational Psychologist.
So far, I have found that the path to application and beyond is very lonely, and I am desperate for some advice and some sharing.
Writing the statement is a daunting task. In fact, I have not started yet. Let's start from that... any tips or examples please?
Thank you so much

Elena x
The Pale Dreamer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The main things you need to talk about are:

1. Why you want to be an EP
2. What you know about the role
3. How you have used psychology in your experience to date
4. The skills you've got that will be useful
Elena1977
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Pale Dreamer)
The main things you need to talk about are:

1. Why you want to be an EP
2. What you know about the role
3. How you have used psychology in your experience to date
4. The skills you've got that will be useful
Thank you for you suggestions!
I guess I am struggling a little bit with the 3rd point you made... talking about how I've applied psychological theories to my daily experience with children. Which ones to choose? I have 6 yrs experience as an HLTA at a primary school and we have children coming from very disadvantaged backgrounds, mainly because of the area where the school is located.
I am thinking attachment theories... but is it overdone, is it gonna be boring for the reader?

Elena x
Last edited by Interrobang; 1 year ago
The Pale Dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Elena1977)
Thank you for you suggestions!
I guess I am struggling a little bit with the 3rd point you made... talking about how I've applied psychological theories to my daily experience with children. Which ones to choose? I have 6 yrs experience as an HLTA at a primary school and we have children coming from very disadvantaged backgrounds, mainly because of the area where the school is located.
I am thinking attachment theories... but is it overdone, is it gonna be boring for the reader?

Elena x
I don't think it's so much about the actual theories that are being used, but more your ability to use the psychology and reflect on what you've done
Elena1977
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Pale Dreamer)
I don't think it's so much about the actual theories that are being used, but more your ability to use the psychology and reflect on what you've done

That's helpful advice, thank you x
Last edited by Interrobang; 1 year ago
Elena1977
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elena1977)
That's helpful advice, thank you x
Does anybody know of a free online library for peer reviewed articles and literature?
Jyoti4
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I'm also applying for the 3 year EdPsych course. I applied for last years one but didnt get accepted. I got a job in april as a apprentice teaching assistant, so that's another years experience along with placement year for my undergrad. I'm also struggling with writing the personal statment so any help would be appreciated
cao9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I also am looking for any help or guidance with writing the personal statement. It would be greatly appreciated. It's a struggle and it feels like there isn't much advice/tips/help around at all..
co16598
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am applying this year too. I feel a bit out of my depth and am just trying to put my statement together now... My question is to what extent do we need to be referring to interventions that we have put in place and what level of detail? I don't want to read to much like action research or even a lit. review- but also don't want to neglect it too much if that's what expected.
Jyoti4
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can I just resubmit my one that I did last year, but obvs tweak it and add my extra experience within it
leannesagoodman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have applied this year - first time applicant here. We shall see what happens! Best of luck to everyone applying.
Elena1977
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone,

I have been invited for interview at Bristol Uni. There'll be a written task and an interview.
Does anybody know if there are forums for this doctorate at Bristol Uni?
I have given up Facebook few years ago, so anything but that really

Anyone else here has been shortlisted?

Many many thanks

Elena x
Dionneburton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congratulations! I wasn’t successful in the shortlisting this year so now I need to try and do some extra things before I try again for next year! Can I ask, what is your academic background? I have lots of experience so thinking it might be academic qualifications that I need to focus on. Many thanks for your time and good luck!
Elena1977
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dionneburton)
Congratulations! I wasn’t successful in the shortlisting this year so now I need to try and do some extra things before I try again for next year! Can I ask, what is your academic background? I have lots of experience so thinking it might be academic qualifications that I need to focus on. Many thanks for your time and good luck!
Hi Dionneburton,
sorry you haven't been shortlisted this year, and well done for your determination, fingers crossed for next year.
To answer your question, I have 6 years of experience in educaion and a degree in Psychology, an upper second, so nothing extraordinary really... Maybe get in touch with your local Ed Psych services and se if they can be of any assistance in preparation for next application.
Best of luck with everything!
Elena
Dionneburton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks Elena and thanks for the info! I have a masters and was a SENCo so I’m not sure what I’m missing and universities don’t give any feedback so I’m in the dark! What kinds of topics did you cover in your personal statement (if you’re happy to share obviously!)
kerrydouglas
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone,
I am applying for the MSc at Dundee University. Anyone applying for this?
Elena1977
Rep:
?
Hello Dionneburton, of course I'm happy to share. It sounds like you have all the credentials and more!
Mostly, I have put emphasis on application of pyshcology in my school practice, I have mentioned prychologists whose work I have kept in mind throghout my study and my expectations of the role, plus the usual skills in a workplace..
Hope this helps a little!
Elena

(Original post by Dionneburton)Thanks Elena and thanks for the info! I have a masters and was a SENCo so I’m not sure what I’m missing and universities don’t give any feedback so I’m in the dark! What kinds of topics did you cover in your personal statement (if you’re happy to share obviously!)
Diana80
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kerrydouglas)
Hi everyone,
I am applying for the MSc at Dundee University. Anyone applying for this?
Hi kerrydouglas, I am applying for this. Have you applied yet?
kerrydouglas
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Currently trying to write my 600 word essay... it's a toughy!
How are you getting on with your application? 11 days to go!
(Original post by Diana80)
Hi kerrydouglas, I am applying for this. Have you applied yet?
Diana80
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm the same, it's a hard one, I'm not sure if I'm actually answering the question.
Have you seen the FAQ sheet on the course website? I can't find it.
(Original post by kerrydouglas)
Currently trying to write my 600 word essay... it's a toughy!
How are you getting on with your application? 11 days to go!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise