How am I meant to get an A*/A at A level with so much content??

Watch this thread
Alxkb
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, can anyone who's done their A levels describe me how the tests are laid out. Say for A1, do I do the end of year test and aren't quizzed on it again or at the end of A-Level, am I quizzed about both A1 and A2 content? If so, how spaced out were the tests on A1 and A2 content (other words, how much days did you get to revise between each test) and how do you possibly revise so much in preparation for a test? I'm highly stressing out someone please help ((. All help is appreciated and thanks in advance
P.S I'm year 12 and just started A level which is why I don't know about this stuff yet.
Bk4753
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Alxkb)
Hey, can anyone who's done their A levels describe me how the tests are laid out. Say for A1, do I do the end of year test and aren't quizzed on it again or at the end of A-Level, am I quizzed about both A1 and A2 content? If so, how spaced out were the tests on A1 and A2 content (other words, how much days did you get to revise between each test) and how do you possibly revise so much in preparation for a test? I'm highly stressing out someone please help ((. All help is appreciated and thanks in advance
P.S I'm year 12 and just started A level which is why I don't know about this stuff yet.
Detailed notes and a very good memory. All I can say.
madememindup
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
First of all its called AS stop calling it A1.
Presence
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Alxkb)
feel 100% same
bubblecat
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by madememindup)
Technically it is A1 now that AS isn’t a thing in most schools anymore. It makes more sense to call it A1 when the second half of the course is called A2. My college also calls it A1.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by madememindup)
The first year of an A-level course was always referred to as 'AS' because that was the year the AS exams, which would impact the final A-level grade, were taken. Now that AS exams no longer count towards the final A-level grade, I think one can call the first A-level year 'A1'. After all, I see IB students divide their linear courses into IB1 and IB2, so I don't understand why we can't do the same with A-levels. I've seen A1 now emerge as the main term for the first year of A-levels recently as well.
username3236796
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Alxkb)
At the end of your first year, you will sit an end of year exam. This can be a mock exam on any content you’ve covered in year 12, or it could be a real AS level that doesn’t count towards your grade next year, but is instead a separate qualification. You have to keep revising any content covered in first year during your second year as that will be on the real, end of A2 mock exam.

As for time between class tests, it really depends on the topic and your school. Some topics will have a lot of content, some will have little content but quite a few practicals, and some will have both. Usually it’s a week or two between each class test at my sixth form/college. Sometimes old topics from earlier in the year crop up in a new topic test. I try to revise for topic tests, but don’t lose sleep over them. They’re not that important. It’s the main mock exams that count the most- although I’d say doing well in class tests can sway a predicted grade if you had a bad day on a mock exam.
Alxkb
Rep:
Thanks again everyone for the help 😅
Alxkb
Rep:
bookloverlolly How long was the space between each individual A level test for you?
username3236796
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Alxkb)
bookloverlolly How long was the space between each individual A level test for you?
About 1 and a half weeks. Again, it can vary on the topic but 1 and a half weeks is the standard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (33)
35.48%
The paper was reasonable (34)
36.56%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
18.28%
It was TERRIBLE (9)
9.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise