The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Entry Requirements for Computer Science

Will meeting the entry requirements - give you an Unconditional or Conditional Offer? or does it depend on how competitive the course is?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TonicCrane
Will meeting the entry requirements - give you an Unconditional or Conditional Offer? or does it depend on how competitive the course is?

You mean if you already have your results? Then yes it normally results in an offer if they are interested.

A conditional offer will be if they think you have further criteria to meet hence the condition.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You mean if you already have your results? Then yes it normally results in an offer if they are interested.

A conditional offer will be if they think you have further criteria to meet hence the condition.

Cheers!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi @TonicCrane,

The entry requirements for Computer Science are AAAA/AAABB (Maths B, Computing Science recommended). If you need any more information then feel free to email: [email protected]

We are hosting an open day on Saturday 6th October, 10am-2:30pm. Why not come and have a look around the Campus? There will be mini lectures and campus tours.

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi @TonicCrane,

The entry requirements for Computer Science are AAAA/AAABB (Maths B, Computing Science recommended). If you need any more information then feel free to email: [email protected]

We are hosting an open day on Saturday 6th October, 10am-2:30pm. Why not come and have a look around the Campus? There will be mini lectures and campus tours.

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep

Thanks for the reply,

I will be hopefully going to the open day.

Just to confirm that the entry requirements for Computer Science that you mentioned were for the (Meng) computer science, not the bachelor degree which is (AABBB)?

Thanks.
Hi @TonicCrane,

Yes that is correct- the Bachelor in Computing Science is AABBB.

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi @TonicCrane,

Yes that is correct- the Bachelor in Computing Science is AABBB.

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep

Another Question,

(Sorry if I'm asking too much)

1. Which campus is the computing science department in?

2. Is it easy to transfer courses for lets say Bachelor(Honours) Computer Science to Bachelor(Honours) Software Engineering (They both have the exact same content with the exact same entry requirements, but for software engineering you are provided with 1 year of Industrial placement)?

Thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Another Question,

2. Is it easy to transfer courses for lets say Bachelor(Honours) Computer Science to Bachelor(Honours) Software Engineering (They both have the exact same content with the exact same entry requirements, but for software engineering you are provided with 1 year of Industrial placement)?

Thanks.

Hi @TonicCrane,

Not at all. Do you mean the campus or building? The computing science course can be studied at the main Strathclyde Campus. The building your lectures will be held in is Livingstone Tower.

Are you currently a student at the uni and wanting to transfer after first year? If you are not currently a student then you can apply to study both Computer Science (G400) and Software Engineering (G600) through UCAS and then make a decision on which course to study.

Any more questions then just get in touch.

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep
Not wanting to contradict the rep here, but you don't need to waste two applications. The courses are identical at the beginning and they say it's easy to switch from one to the other in the first couple of years.
Original post by Annie0000
Not wanting to contradict the rep here, but you don't need to waste two applications. The courses are identical at the beginning and they say it's easy to switch from one to the other in the first couple of years.

Another Question,

Thanks.

Hi @TonicCrane - thanks for your enquiry and sorry for the confusion. And yes @Annie0000 is correct in saying that the two courses have very similar core content within the first two years, which means that it is possible to transfer in the early years of the course (and some students do decide to do this) so I would not advise applying for both courses via UCAS, as you may want to keep an extra choice for a different option just in case :smile:

Hope this helps! If you do have any other questions about the course I would be happy to advise.

Best wishes - Sarah - Student Recruitment Officer
Reply 10
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @TonicCrane - thanks for your enquiry and sorry for the confusion. And yes @Annie0000 is correct in saying that the two courses have very similar core content within the first two years, which means that it is possible to transfer in the early years of the course (and some students do decide to do this) so I would not advise applying for both courses via UCAS, as you may want to keep an extra choice for a different option just in case :smile:

Hope this helps! If you do have any other questions about the course I would be happy to advise.

Best wishes - Sarah - Student Recruitment Officer

I have a question about your software engineering course,

On your website, it mentions that your course is 4 years
It also mentions 4 years on uniwhich (https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-strathclyde-s78/courses/software-engineering-bsc-hons-2019-c61bcdc6974e)
However,
According to this website UNISTATS, the course is 5 years (https://unistats.ac.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007805FT-KIS0000067/ReturnTo/Search)
It also mentions 5 years in your undergraduate course booklet (given in open day)
So is this course 5 years or 4 years?
Thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
The main difference between the CS and SE courses is the 1 year placement which adds a year to the length of the SE course bringing it to 5 years. Though I guess it's technically correct that the length of the actual uni time is 4 years.
The main difference between the CS and SE courses is the 1 year placement which adds a year to the length of the SE course bringing it to 5 years. Though I guess it's technically correct that the length of the actual uni time is 4 years.

Are u doing CS at Strathclyde and if so how is the course so far
My son is doing SE and enjoying it. He has AH computer science so isn't finding it too stretching yet but he's thinking of transferring to the Masters if he meets the requirements so that's keeping his motivation up. They were clear at the offer holders day that the CS and SE courses were interchangeable up to 2nd year I think,. Also that there was an opportunity to do the masters at the end of first year subject to some stipulation in relation to test scores and a particular selected option in the 2nd semester. He also had unconditional offers from Glasgow, Dundee and Heriot Watt. Good luck with your application.
My son is doing SE and enjoying it. He has AH computer science so isn't finding it too stretching yet but he's thinking of transferring to the Masters if he meets the requirements so that's keeping his motivation up. They were clear at the offer holders day that the CS and SE courses were interchangeable up to 2nd year I think,. Also that there was an opportunity to do the masters at the end of first year subject to some stipulation in relation to test scores and a particular selected option in the 2nd semester. He also had unconditional offers from Glasgow, Dundee and Heriot Watt. Good luck with your application.

Wow I’m glad you son is enjoying SE
what made your son pick Strathclyde (I’m struggling in which university I should go for at SE/CS)
Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
He decided after applying that he wanted to stay at home and that meant it was really down to Glasgow and Strathclyde as being commutable. He preferred the feel of Strathclyde, they were more flexible about labs and it seemed that since Glasgow seemed to take a fair amount with no CS experience, that he might be treading water for a bit. He did apply for a combined CS and electronic engineering at Glasgow but preferred in the end the straightforward SE/CS. Strathclyde also seemed to have strong industry links. We visited HW and liked it but he didn't go to Dundee at any point so nothing really to say.
He decided after applying that he wanted to stay at home and that meant it was really down to Glasgow and Strathclyde as being commutable. He preferred the feel of Strathclyde, they were more flexible about labs and it seemed that since Glasgow seemed to take a fair amount with no CS experience, that he might be treading water for a bit. He did apply for a combined CS and electronic engineering at Glasgow but preferred in the end the straightforward SE/CS. Strathclyde also seemed to have strong industry links. We visited HW and liked it but he didn't go to Dundee at any point so nothing really to say.

Ah great,
I am properly going to go to Strathclyde for Software Engineering due to:
- Its in the central city (Glasgow uni will require a subway from the central)
- the exam is half course work and half exams (unis like Glasgow are mostly made up with an exam)
- 12 months paid work placement (something that a lot of unis lack of)
- I like it how you can do projects that are given by industrial companies
- the ranking is decent for the course (top 25 uk university’s for CS at complete university guide for 2018)
- industrial links
What I don’t like about the course is:
- It’s in Livingston tower (I wished it was in a more Morden building) however its not a significant thing

I appreciate your responses since it’s very hard to find current students doing CS/SE at Strathclyde.

I hope for the best for your son.
(edited 5 years ago)
All good points. In Glasgow, 1st years had their own lab and it was only open office hours which seemed restrictive.

Best of luck to you too.
Reply 18
Original post by Suleman_Ak
Ah great,
I am properly going to go to Strathclyde for Software Engineering due to:
- Its in the central city (Glasgow uni will require a subway from the central)
- the exam is half course work and half exams (unis like Glasgow are mostly made up with an exam)
- 12 months paid work placement (something that a lot of unis lack of)
- I like it how you can do projects that are given by industrial companies
- the ranking is decent for the course (top 25 uk university’s for CS at complete university guide for 2018)
- industrial links
What I don’t like about the course is:
- It’s in Livingston tower (I wished it was in a more Morden building) however its not a significant thing

I appreciate your responses since it’s very hard to find current students doing CS/SE at Strathclyde.

I hope for the best for your son.

Those of you at Strathclyde did you start from year 1 or did you transfer direct into the second year?
Original post by Rugbee
Those of you at Strathclyde did you start from year 1 or did you transfer direct into the second year?

Hi there,

I'm still at S6 (last year of secondary school for Scottish schools)

I am applying for software engineering in 2019 for 1st-year entry

Are you applying for Strathclyde for CS/SE?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest