Oli96IoW
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I’m going to be applying for medicine this year as a graduate, but I’m deliberating whether to apply for the normal 5 year undergraduate or 4 war accelerated graduate program.
The 4 year is more competitive to get into and there’s less unis to choose from, but as far as I can work out with the 4 year course you pay £3,450 for year 1 towards tuition and the rest is payed by a loan from student finance, then the next 3 years tuition is payed for by the Loan and NHS. But do you get a mainlanence loan for these 4 years for living costs?
And with the 5 year you get a tuition and maintanece loan for years 3,4 and 5, but is there a way of funding year 1 and 2 for tuition and maintanence?

So really I was wondering if anyone knows how graduates go about funding with medicine with tuition and living costs? Is a part time job needed? As I can’t imagine you’d have enough time to do this with the course load

Thanks
U33B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi for the 5-year course you don`t get any help towards the tuition cost so you must fork out the 9k a year somehow plus living costs too. However, you are correct that on the 4-year course you must contribute £3450 in the first year only and rest is paid by NHS and the amount you have contributed in the first year is paid by student finance per year for the duration of the course and the remaining £5800 is paid by NHS for each year. I want to study medicine as a second degree, so I have done some digging before I embark on the 4-year mission in the future. I think it’s a joke and is absolutely disgusting that the government is making lives difficult and, in most cases, shattering dreams for individuals pursuing a career in medicine because of money. It shouldn`t matter what level of education you want to study because in the end it will be rewarding and will help in the future. I will be starting my Physiotherapy MSc pre reg course end of this month (January) and I had to wait an extra year because the government decided last year that individuals should pay their way for getting an allied health profession course (that`s the MSc Pre reg courses by the way not the BSc, so don`t get confused). They then changed the rules in September 2018 saying that all allied health profession courses regardless of the level will now be funded so us students won`t have to fork out any money. Why can`t they apply this leniency approach for students wanting to study the 5 or 6-year medicine as a second degree? Sorry for the rant but it p****s me off that the government suddenly changes rules and makes lives difficult for us students wanting to pursue a career. And I bet there will be an individual who will completely disagree with me and be in favour of the student loans system and how the government is running things. I want them to get their heads checked out because they are just as naive, stupid, thick and idiotic as the people running the government. EDUCATION SHOULD BE BASED ON ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS NOT FINANCIAL. Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (191)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.77%
I'm not a current university student (657)
49.14%

Watched Threads