The Student Room Group

Boyfriend has gone to uni and I’m so jealous

My boyfriend and I were in the same college year, however at the start of year 13 I decided to drop down a year so I could pull my grades up and get into a better uni a year later, but my boyfriend continued and got amazing grades, and has now gone off to uni.

Before he left there was lots of confusion about what would happen between us and, when he had previously always talked about me coming to visit, in the week before he left, he distanced himself a lot. Long story short, 3 days into his uni experience we’ve improved our communication and are trying our best to make this work out.

However now all I think about is that I’m missing out on being with him to share his new experiences, I’m in my hometown, bored, stressed about college and lonely (all my friends have now also left for uni this weekend). I’m happy for them but all I feel is self-pity and jealousy about their amazing nights out, halls and freedom, all that I’m seeing through the lense of snapchat and instagram

I don’t know what to do, I’m crying all the time, any advice will help!
Your biggest mistake is trying to maintain a relationship when one person is going to uni / both going to seperate universities.
Reply 2
I'm in the exact same position as you except I dropped out uni last year six months into my first year and met my boyfriend (who's just gone to uni) shortly after. I completely understand missing him and wanting to share his experiences (I feel the exact same). Have you got a date for when you see him next? I don't really have much advice but all I can say is you're not alone and hopefully things will get better :-)
Reply 3
After the bumpy start we’re trying to see each other this weekend or if not (because of work shifts) then next weekend as I have the next two Fridays off college. But he is a 3 hour drive away and I feel like it’s down to me to go up there every time we’re planning to meet bc obviously I want to see the new place and his new friends, but it’s a lot of pressure, but then I don’t want to make him come all the way back to the town he couldn’t wait to leave yanno?
Reply 4
After the bumpy start we’re trying to see each other this weekend or if not (because of work shifts) then next weekend as I have the next two Fridays off college. But he is a 3 hour drive away and I feel like it’s down to me to go up there every time we’re planning to meet bc obviously I want to see the new place and his new friends, but it’s a lot of pressure, but then I don’t want to make him come all the way back to the town he couldn’t wait to leave yanno? Thank you for you message, it is nice to know other people are trying to make it work as well x

Quick Reply

Latest