Lgannil
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Could anyone give me their personal opinion on these two colleges? Which one would you choose if you were me?
Also, does anyone know anything about their accommodation? Do they have refurbished rooms?
And finally, does Merton really pressure students as much as I’ve heard it does?
Lgannil
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What matters to you in a college?
I would personally choose Worcester but that's because it was on my final 3 when I was looking whereas Merton wasn't.
I think all colleges push you to achieve your potential, there's not likely to be any that particularly do or don't. But if you want an idea of the typical achievements, perhaps look at the Norrington tables?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lgannil
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
What matters to you in a college?
I would personally choose Worcester but that's because it was on my final 3 when I was looking whereas Merton wasn't.
I think all colleges push you to achieve your potential, there's not likely to be any that particularly do or don't. But if you want an idea of the typical achievements, perhaps look at the Norrington tables?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Lemur14, thanks for answering! I’m looking for a college that would primarily have nice accommodation, low rent and good food. Also, I’m looking for something more central and I’d really like a college with beautiful views. Which one of the two would you recommend?
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lgannil)
Hi Lemur14, thanks for answering! I’m looking for a college that would primarily have nice accommodation, low rent and good food. Also, I’m looking for something more central and I’d really like a college with beautiful views. Which one of the two would you recommend?
I don't really know a lot about Merton tbh other than it's near Corpus which isn't really very useful. I guess it depends on the subject as to whether it is near the subjet department, but they're both relatively central in terms of shops etc. Worcester is more out the way, but nearer the train station, and certainly has beautiful views, but I can't speak for Merton.
Looking at the Oxford website, it suggests that generally Worcester is a bit more expensive for food, but it pretty much evens out when you add in food (it reckons about £150 difference for 175 days, although Worcester also seems to have longer rent periods so you probably would end up paying a bit more)
Merton have quite a bit of their accommodation off site, which may make it further away from the things you want to be near if you get that accommodation, whereas Worcester is pretty much all on site if that makes any difference.
You might like to try this to see what you think: http://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Woostarite (2007-2010) here

The accommodation at Woosta is mostly excellent (some dodgy ones but those are cheaper. If you get a dodgy room in first year, you will get first dibs on better rooms in subsequent years) :yep: I dunno what the prices are like these days but they were reasonable in my day :shakecane: 72% of Woosta accommodation is en suite with access to good kitchen facilities. There are many modern buildings. The ones with the best views are Sainsbury building (overlooks the lake. Not en suite though) and rooms overlooking the main quad (but note: these rooms aren't modernised and are also not en suite, to my knowledge). I can't speak about prices since it's ages since I left.

Woosta is not considered a "central" college but it's not as far out as maps/people suggest. I'm a slow walker but it would take me about 5-7 minutes to reach Carfax (Tower, which represents Oxford city centre). So you could probs do it quicker :yep:

Woosta food is excellent and is subsidised (not as much as in my day, but still cheaper than various colleges) :drool:

Also worth noting we have a LAKE and DUCKS, which Merton doesn't :ninja:

That said, Merton is a very nice college, which also has great food :yep:
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m looking for a college that would primarily have nice accommodation, low rent and good food.
Here are accommodation charges by college.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...college?wssl=1

Also, I’m looking for something more central
I'd suggest google maps. Carfax tower is the traditional 'centre'. I would also suggest looking up location in relation to your department, or other areas of interest.

Also bear in mind that for 2nd year at Merton you will probably live on Holywell street, opposite New college.

Merton is overall a bit more central.

and I’d really like a college with beautiful views.
Here is a link to the virtual tour which has view of both.

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/default.asp

And finally, does Merton really pressure students as much as I’ve heard it does?
No, majority of that stuff is completely fabricated. In fact, as Merton does consistently well in its results the college can afford to be more laid back, whereas every now and then you hear of some under-performing college who is making its students do extra mock exams and being really strict to turn things around etc.

(Original post by Lemur14)
Merton have quite a bit of their accommodation off site, which may make it further away from the things you want to be near if you get that accommodation
Its on Holywell street (opposite New) so more central than Merton is.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Its on Holywell street (opposite New) so more central than Merton is.
Ahh right, thanks for clearing that up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.4%
It's just nice to be back! (181)
27.38%
Not great so far... (238)
36.01%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.21%

Watched Threads