The Student Room Group

How do other unattractive guys cope??

Knowing that the woman you like is never going to like you back because of your looks?

I have put that feeling under the carpet since high school. But now it's been so long that I can't ignore it anymore and need to find ways to accept it or cope with it.

How do you guys manage?? I am extremely depressed over it.

Scroll to see replies

If that's how you feel do something about it. Work on fitness, skin/haircare, your style and wardrobe, find something that works with you. If you feel like that inside no amount of temp flattery from pulling will help.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
If that's how you feel do something about it. Work on fitness, skin/haircare, your style and wardrobe, find something that works with you. If you feel like that inside no amount of temp flattery from pulling will help.

My skin on my chest, stomach and legs is in horrible condition and there's nothing to do but, essentially, cut it off and be left deformed with scars and 15,000 pounds debt.

I am fairly physically active and I don't think I dress badly.

It is impossible for me to get intimate with a girl as she will be disgusted by my skin, not because I have bad hair, sit on my ass or dress badly.
Original post by Anonymous
It is impossible

If that's true, suck it up dude. Plenty of other ways to live your life to the full.
Reply 4
Original post by DarthRoar
If that's true, suck it up dude. Plenty of other ways to live your life to the full.

After a certain age, all your friends find someone and you're left feeling like a freakshow. I understand what you're trying to say but I think you underestimate how important relationships are to most people.
My skin on my chest, stomach and legs is in horrible condition and there's nothing to do but, essentially, cut it off and be left deformed with scars and 15,000 pounds debt.

What's wrong with the skin? no point being shy if anon Are we talking a condition or disease? physical injuries? grafts? loose skin after heavy weight loss? What does the deformed 15k deal consist of?
Just be confident and I guess workout, as well as being a good person to them
Physical appearance is important if you want that physical attraction but tbh if a guy is confident and can make you laugh, **** it, he can look like jabba the hut and he'll get girls.
Just find a woman in the same position as you.
Don't worry, when you get to my age you get used to it.

Basing your self worth on whether someone else likes you just makes you feel worse. Besides, if you're severely lacking in self confidence that isn't going to suddenly change in a relationship. It'll just make any kind of intimacy very awkward, and you'll be constantly paranoid that your woman (or man) is going to leave you for someone else. If you don't like yourself you can't expect anyone else to.
Original post by StriderHort
What's wrong with the skin? no point being shy if anon Are we talking a condition or disease? physical injuries? grafts? loose skin after heavy weight loss? What does the deformed 15k deal consist of?

I am not shy, I want to remain anon. I'm gonna need about 15K to remove the excess skin and then I will still be covered in scars (preferable but I don't have that kind of money and I'd still look hideous).
Original post by sr90
Don't worry, when you get to my age you get used to it.

Basing your self worth on whether someone else likes you just makes you feel worse. Besides, if you're severely lacking in self confidence that isn't going to suddenly change in a relationship. It'll just make any kind of intimacy very awkward, and you'll be constantly paranoid that your woman (or man) is going to leave you for someone else. If you don't like yourself you can't expect anyone else to.

I don't base my entire self-worth on it but ... it's not unreasonable to feel terrible if no girl has ever liked you back. You probably know all this talk about self-love is easier said than done.

Original post by Lisforlexi
Physical appearance is important if you want that physical attraction but tbh if a guy is confident and can make you laugh, **** it, he can look like jabba the hut and he'll get girls.

I look fit & athletic clothed which leads some women to assume I must look like a model naked. But I do not, I look like an old man as my skin is messed up. And I wish what you said was true.

Original post by Student-95
Just find a woman in the same position as you.

Very few if any women have lost 220 pounds, I know no one else in my position irl (I know some Americans who gone through similar things).
I don't base my entire self-worth on it but ... it's not unreasonable to feel terrible if no girl has ever liked you back. You probably know all this talk about self-love is easier said than done.

I look fit & athletic clothed which leads some women to assume I must look like a model naked. But I do not, I look like an old man as my skin is messed up. And I wish what you said was true.

Very few if any women have lost 220 pounds, I know no one else in my position irl (I know some Americans who gone through similar things).

It's true for a large portion of women, the others you prob wouldn't wanna date anyway, they're shallow and prob self obsessed.
I (was) in a very similar position. 6 years ago I started a weight loss journey, lost around 14 stone, so like 190 pounds roughly. I continued at it in the gym, used longer processes for skin healing like bio oils etc (they do work over time). Eventually the skin becomes fine, or it did for me, though I think me being quite young (late teens/early 20's) helped, and my weight loss was gradual over 2.5 years.

I was the only guy in my school who couldn't get a prom date, but now though I'm not god's gift, I do alright for myself. It takes time to gain confidence in yourself after losing that much weight. I didn't kiss a girl till I was 20, didn't do anything more till I was 21...and only started dating like normal people do at 22.

All you can do is improve yourself. Its a superficial world out there. Don't lose hope, rather figure out ways to better yourself - be it looks, confidence or personality.
After a certain age, all your friends find someone and you're left feeling like a freakshow. I understand what you're trying to say but I think you underestimate how important relationships are to most people.

What is this certain age that you speak of?
the way i think about it, i am who i am, theres no way for me to change it, even if i wanted to. so i just try to do the best i can with what i have. plenty of girls have told me i am funny, and i can make pretty much anyone laugh. i have average build, 5' 8'', i am brown, well-educated, but i feel i am not very handsome. but thats exactly the point, do you find every girl you look at attractive? so same goes for women, not every girl will find every guy attractive.

ultimately, its a numbers game
Reply 16
Never brand yourself unattractive, there no sense in it. Attactiveness is subjective and relative, it has multiple aspects, it can be worked upon. Plus I think that unless you are in the fortunate small group of people who are well above average in looks or personality dating is quite universally hard work. That not so take anything away from the hurt of multiple rejections or to deny that self doubt exists, but I do believe with resilience you get there.
(edited 5 years ago)

I just meant find an ugly girl, not necessarily one who has the exact same issues as you
Reply 18

I am fairly physically active and I don't think I dress badly.

It is impossible for me to get intimate with a girl as she will be disgusted by my skin, not because I have bad hair, sit on my ass or dress badly.

Sometimes on TV and stuff you see people with the type of skin you're describing and they have partners.

so I Just did some googling and found a poll where several hundred girls voted. A guy displayed a pic of a shirtless male with extreme sagging due to weight loss and asked girls to give him honest answers over if they would date someone like that. around 60% said yes, around 40% said no

now i'm probably the first person on here to think overall women are quite shallow, but i gotta admit ....i have noticed evidence from a few sources that suggest that women appear to be not as shallow as i thought when it comes to things wrong with the body [so long as the face is fine]

60/40 arn't terrible odds, and tbh people are usually more truthful in polls [than forum replies] so i doubt your real odds would be under 50/50

i suggest you start dating and perhaps tell the girl on the 2nd or 3rd date about the skin problem. at least a 50/50 chance it will not repel her from dating you,...but at the same time you've got to mentally prepare yourself for the girls it will put off.
Knowing that the woman you like is never going to like you back because of your looks?

I have put that feeling under the carpet since high school. But now it's been so long that I can't ignore it anymore and need to find ways to accept it or cope with it.

How do you guys manage?? I am extremely depressed over it.
I don't get it? You've lost 220 lbs? You're feeling extremely depressed?

You should be feeling absolutely delighted with yourself. You've faced a very tough challenge with your obesity and you've overcome it. Give yourself a mental star spangled solid gold medal! Don't beat yourself up about it.

You have changed your entire lifestyle. That's not easy. It takes guts and determination.

You have averted putting yourself into an early grave.

Life is wonderful! Life is fantastic!

Now that you've sorted yourself out physically, move on to sorting yourself out mentally. If you can lose 220 lbs you can do anything!
Banish this negativity.

Any woman worth having will not be too fussed about lots of surplus skin. Not when she's with someone in good physical shape under the skin. And with a nice guy who can get things done and will understand her and treat her like an equally valid human being.

Stop focusing on one woman. Get to know lots of women. Platonically. From there things will develop naturally with one or more women that are genuinely compatible with you.

You can't have all the women liking you all the time.
You can have some women liking you almost all of the time. That's good enough. Take it. Go out and find some women.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending