Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know any good salons in london which do training. Part time weekend training. Also if you are a trainee hairdresser, how much do you get paid and what do you have to do?

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as part-time training

I'm in Wales, but here there are several options you can go for.

- Full time college. This is a few days a week training in college with a one-day-a-week plcement in a salon. This is free labour.

-Salon apprenticeship, through a college. This involves working mostly in a salon and doing one day a week in college. Minimum salon apprenticeship wage is £50 but sometimes this is more, depending what your employer decides.

-In-house salon training. I believe Toni and Guy do these. You'd have to go to a salon to find out more.

I personally do option 2. The course last two years and is a full time thing. You can't do it part time. It's a career. It can be years in top salons before they even let you cut someone's hair.

I work in a small but well known salon and am doing pretty much anything but cutting. I colour, style, set hair, as well as bridal and hair-ups. At the moment, I'm onyl cutting under supervision on models, and at college, although, I am cutting my family at home. I also have to do cleaning and shampooing, basic stuff.

I wouldn't advise taking hairdressing unless you are prepared to give it your all, there really isnt part time. It can be frustrating and boring when you start, and the money is crap.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.