The Student Room Group

The Times Good University Guide 2019 - Cambridge retains top spot

Loughborough awarded University of the Year (again), and rises 2 places to 5th overall.

Meanwhile the other top 10 universities are largely unchanged

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews
4. Imperial
5. Loughborough (up from 7=)
6. Lancaster
7. Durham (down from 5th)
8. UCL (down from 7=)
9. LSE (up from 11th)
10. Warwick (down from 9th)

Notable moves:
Southampton up to 18th from 30.
Sussex down to 41st from 27

Where's your uni?

Scroll to see replies

16 Uni of Nottingham,

Also International Uni of the Year, which makes perfect sense, as im on exchange in our beautiful campus in Malaysia! :smile: and many mobility students get the unique tri-campus experience!

We also won sporting university of the year (sorry to laughborough, maybe next year!).
There is nothing more pathetic than university league tables.
Original post by Doonesbury
Loughborough awarded University of the Year (again), and rises 2 places to 5th overall.

Meanwhile the other top 10 universities are largely unchanged

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews
4. Imperial
5. Loughborough (up from 7=)
6. Lancaster
7. Durham (down from 5th)
8. UCL (down from 7=)
9. LSE (up from 11th)
10. Warwick (down from 9th)

Notable moves:
Southampton up to 18th from 30.
Sussex down to 41st from 27

Special linky : https://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/index/year/2019/goto/tableSearchAnchor

Where's your uni?

Loogabarooga continues its climb. Does well, doesn't it?

So glad to see Cam in its rightful place. Just as it should be. Poor old Oxford - they do try their best!
The fact that the likes of Lancaster and Loughborough are above Durham and LSE absolutely bamboozles me.
why are ucl, lse and warwick so low down? I applied to these units smh
Original post by CraigBackner
why are ucl, lse and warwick so low down? I applied to these units smh

Correlation = Causation? :tongue:
19th. At least I have my looks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How the f is Loughborough 5th? My mate got in with BCC... seriously
Reply 9
Because it's a good university, and by their criteria it bests all but 4 other universities. Having one anecdote of your mate john getting in with BCC isn't indicative of the uni's quality. For it's better courses, it's entry requirements are very high, like aerospace BENG requiring an A*AA
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anon7331
Because it's a good university, and by their criteria it bests all but 4 other universities. Having one anecdote of your mate john getting in with BCC isn't indicative of the uni's quality. For it's better courses, it's entry requirements are very high, like aerospace BENG requiring an A*AA

The only real metrics that matter are entry requirements and graduate prospects. On that basis, LSE beats every uni in the UK.

It has the highest starting salaries and career earnings.

These tables should say what they are - nonsense stuff like student satisfaction and how sociable it is.
Reply 11
Original post by TheYearNiner
How the f is Loughborough 5th? My mate got in with BCC... seriously

It's also worting noting their average achieved entry tariff may well be lower that Oxbridge but it's still 162 which is equivalent to A*AA+ ...
(edited 5 years ago)
Had a visiting lecturer who did her PhD at laughborough, she was fit, but not much else and frankly dont see whats being taught at any university except LSE, Oxbridge, or Imperial that is such a vastly different experience.

As if you learned anymore in a laughborough lecture as you would in my nottingham lecture, or other 2nd tier Russell groups.
Loughborough is a fantastic uni. takes mediocre students and turns them into uber employable, decent-earning grads.
Reply 14
Original post by unigoer123
The only real metrics that matter are entry requirements and graduate prospects. On that basis, LSE beats every uni in the UK.

Hmm
Original post by unigoer123

It has the highest starting salaries and career earnings.

These tables should say what they are - nonsense stuff like student satisfaction and how sociable it is.

According to whom? Are you the arbiter of the qualities people seek in universities? One thing to note, how many courses does LSE offer? I imagine they offer relatively few, at least compared to loughborough, and generally are in higher paying fields, which will skew the average if favour of LSE. The unwillingness of people on this site to accept that loughborough may be a top 10 uni is pathetic, since half of them probably formed their opinions through previous league tables. Your increduility doesn't mean you're right, the league tables have a methodolgy, all of which rank loughborough highly. You on the other hand have a hunch, and a feeling that rankings should never change.
[quote(Original post by Doonesbury)]Hmm

Looks like ill be getting a job then :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Ak4753
I'm not sure what Times bases this on

xxx
Reply 18
Cambridge
Oxford

Imperial
LSE

UCL
Warwick

Durham
St Andrews

Edinburgh
Bath

Top 10. don't drink the kool aid.
(edited 5 years ago)
According to whom? Are you the arbiter of the qualities people seek in universities? One thing to note, how many courses does LSE offer? I imagine they offer relatively few, at least compared to loughborough, and generally are in higher paying fields, which will skew the average if favour of LSE. The unwillingness of people on this site to accept that loughborough may be a top 10 uni is pathetic, since half of them probably formed their opinions through previous league tables. Your increduility doesn't mean you're right, the league tables have a methodolgy, all of which rank loughborough highly. You on the other hand have a hunch, and a feeling that rankings should never change.

LSE obviously will give you better networking skills and will also have a far higher prevalence of people doing further study, if there werent so many upper middle class kids then graduate prospects would be through the roof, but alot go onto do a masters because they can afford to. Doonesbury knows this deep down. Its the same reason Oxford isn't on the list. Remember they ask graduates, this doesnt include truly middle class grads who all do masters.

Quick Reply