Gubbi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I have just started studying biochemistry at university, but the first couple of years the course is very general with biology and chemistry lectures. We have been told that we are doing a rat dissection and a heart dissection. I am a meat eater, but I don't support animal testing. I feel comfortable doing the heart dissection as organs are a by-product of the meat industry, but rat dissection feels wrong (mass produced for the purpose of dissecting them). Doing biochemistry I don't think it would be useful for me to take part in the lab session, but it would be great to know what other people feel about this topic.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Animal models are an important part of Bioscience research, including (perhaps even particularly) Biochemistry. What do you think they're going to do, round up everyone with a given type of cancer and start injecting them with untested compounds?

Given that Biochemistry has an especially strong research orientation compared to most Bioscience courses, if this an issue for you then you might want to reflect on your long term goals and how this particular degree fits into them, given you heavily limit the roles you could potentially pursue depending on the scope of your objection to animal research.

If you just want to learn about chemistry perhaps in some way related to biological systems, then you may want to consider changing to a Chemistry degree. A Biochemistry degree is in essence a degree in fundamental biology supported by core chemistry knowledge, not a degree in chemicals that relate to biology. As such the "bigger picture" is important to Biochemistry as it is the context in which Biochemists work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

13.23%
1 (95)
12.57%
2 (94)
12.43%
19.18%
22.62%
19.97%

Watched Threads