peoplewhisper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I’ve been researching teacher training courses and found that you have to complete a compulsory ‘fitness to teach form’. You need to disclose all medical conditions and since I’m very overweight/obese, will this will affect my application or make me ‘unfit to teach’?

Thank you
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

I've moved your thread to our teaching forum as you're more likely to get useful answers here.

The fitness to teach form is usually nothing to worry about- it's more about your health to enable the uni to support you. It is rare a health condition would prevent you from being able to teach but sometimes unis will ask you to come for further assessments (e.g. if you had a poorly controlled mental health condition which might be problematic in a school such as an eating disorder).

What subject/age group do you want to teach? I could only really see being overweight being a problem for PE- if you weren't able to demonstrate certain skills, for example.

Anyway, I seriously doubt your weight will be a problem, but if you are worried then do contact unis- I have found them to be really helpful with these sorts of queries when applying for PGCE courses!
peoplewhisper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for replying,

I’m wanting to teach Primary School so will have to participate in PE but this doesn’t concern me too much, I was just panicking about the criteria of the fitness to teach form.

Thank you!

(Original post by SarcAndSpark)Hi

I've moved your thread to our teaching forum as you're more likely to get useful answers here.

The fitness to teach form is usually nothing to worry about- it's more about your health to enable the uni to support you. It is rare a health condition would prevent you from being able to teach but sometimes unis will ask you to come for further assessments (e.g. if you had a poorly controlled mental health condition which might be problematic in a school such as an eating disorder).

What subject/age group do you want to teach? I could only really see being overweight being a problem for PE- if you weren't able to demonstrate certain skills, for example.

Anyway, I seriously doubt your weight will be a problem, but if you are worried then do contact unis- I have found them to be really helpful with these sorts of queries when applying for PGCE courses!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by peoplewhisper)
Thank you for replying,

I’m wanting to teach Primary School so will have to participate in PE but this doesn’t concern me too much, I was just panicking about the criteria of the fitness to teach form.

Thank you!
The form does vary from uni to uni, but mine seemed more interested in my mental health beyond fairly basic physical health issues- I don't think there are many things that would be barriers to teaching (there are a few conditions that might make you unsafe to be in charge of a class alone, for example, which might be a problem).

Usually, the uni just wants to be aware of things that might cause you to need extra support.

They aren't looking for a reason to reject you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (213)
52.99%
No (189)
47.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed