What subject could I do in just a year?

Watch
username2996284
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is going to sound pretty crazy. But considering I can't leave my house most of the time due to my chronic health condition (it's been worse in severity lately, as in couple of months), and I've already missed so much work for photography, and can't really go out and do photo shoots, I was wondering if anyone could suggest an A-level subject (probably an essay subject) that I could do within a year.

I already do Geography and Sociology, which are easy as long as you remember what you need to, and if it's bad enough I might not even be able to apply this academic year anyway. I've already redone year 12 once due to my condition and missing school (by my own decision), and now I'm finally in year 13 and it sucks bc I'm gonna be questionably older when I get into uni if I have to take a gap year, but if that's how it'll happen, whatever.

I get decent A* to A grades when not hindered by my condition, so I think I could pull it off. Though stamina is a different matter, since I don't really know how I'll be faring the next day, and so on.

Thanks!
Your Local Dog
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Core maths is a 1-year course that counts as an AS grade. (I'm pretty sure it's one year). Although it's not an essay based subject, there is a lot of writing involved.
username2996284
Rep:
?
(Original post by Your Local Dog)
Core maths is a 1-year course that counts as an AS grade. (I'm pretty sure it's one year). Although it's not an essay based subject, there is a lot of writing involved.
Hi! I don't think I made it clear enough but I meant an a full a level course in one year
Your Local Dog
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by uniisscary)
Hi! I don't think I made it clear enough but I meant an a full a level course in one year
Oh, I'm not sure then. Sorry for the little help.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Theoretically most/any, but usually such options are taken by students who have already taken A-levels or similar and are picking up subjects to meet prerequisites (e.g. they didn't have Chemistry to study that at uni and don't want to/can't take a foundation year type course for that). What subjects you can take probably more depends on your school.

I think Maths is probably a pretty reasonable prospect, if you have a good background/foundation in the subject, and has (to my knowledge) no externally assessed coursework, labwork etc, and can pretty much be wholly studied pen and paper. It would also complement your subjects in giving you a better than usual background in quanitative work for a social sciences degree, and alongside Geography may be suitable for applying to Earth Sciences/Geology degrees (although naturally those will have labwork and sometimes fieldwork, although if you have a disability etc that prevents you undertaking those the university will usually make alternate arrangements for comparable experiences that are plausible for you to undertake), assuming you do want to go to uni.

As far as age and uni goes, it won't really matter if you apply even a couple years later as broadly everyone is still roughly of the same mindset up into the early 20s. Usually only mature students from sort of late 20s onwards have any particularly different experience, and this seems to be from choice rather than circumstance - such "older" mature students often have different priorities and plans in their life at that age and so may be less interested in some aspects of uni life, but if they are there is no barrier for them to partake in it.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A jigsaw... on the box it says 2-3 yrs but I did it in one!
username2996284
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Theoretically most/any, but usually such options are taken by students who have already taken A-levels or similar and are picking up subjects to meet prerequisites (e.g. they didn't have Chemistry to study that at uni and don't want to/can't take a foundation year type course for that). What subjects you can take probably more depends on your school.

I think Maths is probably a pretty reasonable prospect, if you have a good background/foundation in the subject, and has (to my knowledge) no externally assessed coursework, labwork etc, and can pretty much be wholly studied pen and paper. It would also complement your subjects in giving you a better than usual background in quanitative work for a social sciences degree, and alongside Geography may be suitable for applying to Earth Sciences/Geology degrees (although naturally those will have labwork and sometimes fieldwork, although if you have a disability etc that prevents you undertaking those the university will usually make alternate arrangements for comparable experiences that are plausible for you to undertake), assuming you do want to go to uni.

As far as age and uni goes, it won't really matter if you apply even a couple years later as broadly everyone is still roughly of the same mindset up into the early 20s. Usually only mature students from sort of late 20s onwards have any particularly different experience, and this seems to be from choice rather than circumstance - such "older" mature students often have different priorities and plans in their life at that age and so may be less interested in some aspects of uni life, but if they are there is no barrier for them to partake in it.
Hi! Thanks for the detailed answer. I feel a lot more positive about my prospects. I guess I'm gonna have to look around and see what subjects particularly stick out and also don't have coursework.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads