12wrightj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I go to a school for A-Levels, but my predicted grades are ****e and wrong. Please don't suggest anything about talking to my teacher, trust me I have tried everything that is available on every forum. However, there is little information on the 'blunt truth' about applying individually and how universities see it. It may sound arrogant about the predicted grade situation because many people will just say 'maybe your predicted grades are actually correct', but teachers always seem to underestimate me. ALL of my predicted grades for GCSE were under what I actually got, and I chose to ignore them and keep working. Even before the exams I had never got close to what I got in my GCSE's in the mid term tests.
However now, this largely affects me even getting an offer so I want to apply individually, because everything in my application is actually very useful for the course (run my own PC repair business, developed a website with local charity, know many programming languages etc) apart from the pred. grades which are far off. My pred. grades are B(Maths),B(Economics),C(Further maths) and I want to do computer science at loughborough which says typical offers are ABB (A in Maths). On top of that there are so many more better references I can put down in terms of people who I have worked with etc.

So please can I have the 'blunt truth' about applying individually through UCAS. Do top universities see it as an issue? What then happens with my predicted grades, do i predict them myself? Are you less likely to get in?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You still need an academic reference, who will predict your grades, who is your teacher. Thus in your case, applying individually changes nothing, except deprives UCAS of a data point for your school.
12wrightj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You still need an academic reference, who will predict your grades, who is your teacher. Thus in your case, applying individually changes nothing, except deprives UCAS of a data point for your school.
Ah, ****...
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 12wrightj)
Ah, ****...
You can always still apply, and they may give you their standard offer and see if you achieve that. Alternately, you can look in clearing once you have the grades, or take a gap year and apply in the next cycle.

Not really much else to be done, but as above some universities make offers to lower predicted students (of their standard offer i.e. your offer will be higher than your predicted grades), and a very well crafted personal statement might help convince them to make an offer to see if you can in fact rise to that level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads