?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yo i wants to do Econ for uni any suggestions
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to contact the medical schools you are interested in an check. A small number accept Biology without Chemistry, but usually require a second science, which usually doesn't include Psychology. The only way to know definitively is to contact the universities in question. You may want to check if they would accept you taking A-level Chemistry in a gap year or similar if you haven't taken it already - some might be amenable to this, but many may expect you to have taken it along with two other subjects in the usual two year time frame.

Alternately you could consider Access to Medicine courses, although these vary widely and you will definitely want to check the specific Access to Medicine course you're considering is acceptable for the medical schools you wish to apply to, as not all such Access courses are accepted by all medical schools (and some might accept a given course where others wouldn't). You may also be eligible for extended medical degrees with a foundation year, however most of these are designed for students from underrepresented backgrounds in medicine rather than "subject changers", although a few are open to the latter I believe. As above, you need to identify these courses and check with them directly.

Wanting to be a surgeon is irrelevant to the above, incidentally.
Candidlion50
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
K thenks
MaxLeach2210
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im in a similar boat, with only doing chemistry. There are some that allow just biology but you need a second science. Psychology does not count unfortunately. You also need to do that UKCAT and BMAT, if you have no already done so, if not you will have to wait till next year
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Candidlion50)
Do I not require A Degree in medicine to become a surgeon? And what courses must I take to become one? I was told that you need a 5 year Medicine degree but is there other options with my subjects that allow me to become a surgeon? Thanks also for your previous reply.
Yes, but wanting to be a surgeon (in some specialty) vs a GP vs some other medical specialty all requires the same entry criteria to the relevant medical degrees, so there's little point in noting it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (651)
41.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.33%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads