The Student Room Group

A levels for someone who wants to study Chemistry at uni

So I wanna study Chemistry at uni I'm year 12 and I'm studying A level Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Art. Would you say these are good choices?
Which universities are good for Chemistry? And which areas in A level Maths will be most beneficial for a degree in Chemistry?
Hello,

I am in year 13 applying to study chemistry. I am applying to Oxford and am looking at my other options. At the moment, most unis I am looking at lower their required grades if you are studying chemistry and 2 other sciences. (I think York and Warwick do that). If you would like that then I suggest seeing whether further maths is considered an extra science.
I started with chem, phys, maths and art but have learnt through the hard way that if you are applying to the top unis, they don’t value art. I have since dropped art after having taken it for a year and am pursuing an EPQ.

Good Luck :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CertiJake
So I wanna study Chemistry at uni I'm year 12 and I'm studying A level Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Art. Would you say these are good choices?
Which universities are good for Chemistry? And which areas in A level Maths will be most beneficial for a degree in Chemistry?

Physics would have been a better choice instead of Art. Physics and chemistry are closely related in a number of areas once you get to a higher level so having some knowledge of it would help.

And why are you doing four A levels? Your offer will be based on three and, unless otherwise stated in the entrance requirements, you'll be at no advantage in doing four.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Physics would have been a better choice instead of Art. Physics and chemistry are closely related in a number of areas once you get to a higher level so having some knowledge of it would help.

And why are you doing four A levels? Your offer will be based on three and, unless otherwise stated in the entrance requirements, you'll be at no advantage in doing four.

Also art is really time consuming (first hand experience) and content heavy and chemistry is one of the most time consuming sciences (so im told) so maybe the work load would be a bit much :redface:
Art is really time consuming and almost all unis are happy with 3 so I would drop the Art and maybe do an EPQ or Physics if you're dead set on doing 3 (only do Physics if you like it / can get a good grade in it)
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check

I'm not that good at physics and haven't got a big interest in it. I'm only interested in certain areas and looking at the specification i'm not sure I would do as well in it

Nah I'm just doing 3 with an AS but not sure which one I'll do AS in. It will be either further or Art
Reply 6
Original post by GCSE pupil
Hello,

I am in year 13 applying to study chemistry. I am applying to Oxford and am looking at my other options. At the moment, most unis I am looking at lower their required grades if you are studying chemistry and 2 other sciences. (I think York and Warwick do that). If you would like that then I suggest seeing whether further maths is considered an extra science.
I started with chem, phys, maths and art but have learnt through the hard way that if you are applying to the top unis, they don’t value art. I have since dropped art after having taken it for a year and am pursuing an EPQ.

Good Luck :smile:

Thanks, good luck to you. Maths and Further are Sciences right? Physics would be better than Art but I'm not that good at Physics and I don't really like the specification
Art is pretty much unrelated, and as noted an enormous time commitment. If you are confident you can stay on top of it, it's neither good nor bad, but you should be very careful to ensure it doesn't cause you to slip in your relevant subjects (Chemistry, Maths, FM). Additionally be aware that even if you only "slip" in Art, it could affect an application (although I imagine most universities won't really consider it one way or another if you meet the requirements with your other subjects - this isn't a guarantee though).

Some Physics content is relevant - Physical Chemistry is a core area of Chemistry you're probably going to study for at least half your degree if not through most of it, but the primary areas of relevance are quantum "stuff" (you won't do as much detail as a Physicist, but the basic ideas presented about quantum phenomena in A-level Physics is useful, but I think touched on in A-level Chemistry to a lesser extent) and thermodynamics (along with it's "big sister" statistical mechanics - however thermo gets covered more in Chemistry anyway as far as I'm aware). Not having Physics isn't a critical issue, and having Further Maths more than makes up for it in my opinion, but it is worth bearing in mind there are "Physic-y" parts of Chemistry you'll be studying in the future generally.

I would suggest planning on continuing FM over Art, as it is directly relevant to your planned degree subject - unless you want to keep the option of creative degrees (e.g. Art, Architecture etc) open, however I think even AS Art would be sufficient minimally to apply to an art foundation and then such a degree, so I'd still be inclined to recommend sticking to FM. FM is also very useful (and sometimes required) for quite a range of other courses which you may want to maintain as options. Also as indicated above, some universities give lower offers for Chemistry with more STEM subjects offered (e.g. Southampton).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Art is pretty much unrelated, and as noted an enormous time commitment. If you are confident you can stay on top of it, it's neither good nor bad, but you should be very careful to ensure it doesn't cause you to slip in your relevant subjects (Chemistry, Maths, FM). Additionally be aware that even if you only "slip" in Art, it could affect an application (although I imagine most universities won't really consider it one way or another if you meet the requirements with your other subjects - this isn't a guarantee though).

Some Physics content is relevant - Physical Chemistry is a core area of Chemistry you're probably going to study for at least half your degree if not through most of it, but the primary areas of relevance are quantum "stuff" (you won't do as much detail as a Physicist, but the basic ideas presented about quantum phenomena in A-level Physics is useful, but I think touched on in A-level Chemistry to a lesser extent) and thermodynamics (along with it's "big sister" statistical mechanics - however thermo gets covered more in Chemistry anyway as far as I'm aware). Not having Physics isn't a critical issue, and having Further Maths more than makes up for it in my opinion, but it is worth bearing in mind there are "Physic-y" parts of Chemistry you'll be studying in the future generally.

I would suggest planning on continuing FM over Art, as it is directly relevant to your planned degree subject - unless you want to keep the option of creative degrees (e.g. Art, Architecture etc) open, however I think even AS Art would be sufficient minimally to apply to an art foundation and then such a degree, so I'd still be inclined to recommend sticking to FM. FM is also very useful (and sometimes required) for quite a range of other courses which you may want to maintain as options. Also as indicated above, some universities give lower offers for Chemistry with more STEM subjects offered (e.g. Southampton).

Yeah I believe thermodynamics and the laws of thermodynamics are key in Chemistry, I've self taught myself a bit of quantum mechanics my favourite elementary particle is the positron in nuclear reactions
ATM I've decided to focus more in Chemistry, Maths and Further as I'm finding Further the toughest.

Which are the STEM subjects? I've also discovered it's vital to do a Chemistry RSC accredited course.
Do you know which ones are top and would you recommend
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger

Yeah I believe thermodynamics and the laws of thermodynamics are key in Chemistry, I've self taught myself a bit of quantum mechanics my favourite elementary particle is the positron in nuclear reactions
ATM I've decided to focus more in Chemistry, Maths and Further as I'm finding Further the toughest.

Which are the STEM subjects? I've also discovered it's vital to do a Chemistry RSC accredited course.
Original post by CertiJake

STEM stands for "Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics" - at A-level though this is mainly just shorthand for Maths/FM/Physics/Chemistry/Biology.

I would suggest checking Chem/Maths/FM is accepted for all the courses you may want to apply to - I imagine it should be, but there may be one or two courses which would prefer two science subjects. If you're finding FM difficult though, it's probably reasonable to swap that for one of the other sciences (Physics or Biology) as it's not as big a benefit as for doing a degree in Physics/Engineering etc as for Chemistry.

Alternately, seeing if you can just take the AS level in FM if you are struggling a bit. The main relevant topics from FM are matrices and complex numbers (which are part of the AS topics normally), a lot of the rest isn't as relevant for Chemistry as those other degree subjects noted above (unless perhaps you go heavily into materials chemistry/science or physical/theoretical chemistry).

As for "good" courses, if they're accredited they should probably be good enough, and largely otherwise it will depend on how much the individual course structure appeals, as well as more broadly how you like the university/area generally. League tables can sometimes give a general indication of the relative quality of courses i.e. if it's in the top ~20 it's probably a pretty good option, but the difference between the number 8 course and the number 10 course is going to be pretty minimal typically. Don't focus on those too much, but it could be an ok place to get some ideas to start with (by roughly stratifying the courses into large groups on that and subsequently by grade boundaries, and coming up with an appropriate range of courses to apply to).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending