NHS Bursary for Fees / Student Loan Watch

suek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey all,

Just checked through my loan app and I followed all the instructions but just want to make sure I did do it right really.

I'll be having my fees paid by the NHS and I said in my maintenance loan app that I wasn't applying for a tuition fee loan - that's right, right? I mean I'll get some stuff from the NHS Bursary people through at some point soon yeah?
abeech1
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
yup thats right

I dont know if it differs between unis but im going to reading (hopefully!) and i contacted them asking when i needed to apply for the nhs bursaries etc and they said you don't do anything till after a level results/your place has been confirmed with the uni. soo unless your place is unconditional you don't have to do anything for ages yet!

hope that helps
suek
Rep:
?
(Original post by abeech1)
soo unless your place is unconditional you don't have to do anything for ages yet!
Heya, yeah it is unconditional actually! Ah well, they probably sort it all out in one go once the results are done. This at least gives me plenty of time to sort out my accounts ready for it
Crystal Snowflake
Report 10 years ago
Do you have to apply for the NHS bursary or do you get it automatically when you start your course?
malibulucy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you have to apply for your nhs bursary. Just did mine the other day and i am now royally screwed! last year i got 106 a month which just got me by to pay most of my bills and the loan paid my rent and then i worked to pay for food etc, this year i am getting 29 a month! wtf is that all about? can only assume it is now because my mum is also working but since my dad earnt less than last time and mum doesnt earn that much the overall difference is really not that much but yet they are reducing my bursary by over a grand! plus im going to be on placement more this year so it just doesnt add up.
feel like crying lol
so just to warn you that it may not come out all that positive- unless your a nurse then it should be fine.
x
Crystal Snowflake
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by malibulucy)
you have to apply for your nhs bursary. .........
so just to warn you that it may not come out all that positive- unless your a nurse then it should be fine.
x
I'm applying to be a nurse, does that mean i still need to apply for the bursary?
Sorry I'm a bit dim.
suek
Rep:
?
(Original post by malibulucy)
you have to apply for your nhs bursary. Just did mine the other day and i am now royally screwed! last year i got 106 a month which just got me by to pay most of my bills and the loan paid my rent and then i worked to pay for food etc, this year i am getting 29 a month! wtf is that all about? can only assume it is now because my mum is also working but since my dad earnt less than last time and mum doesnt earn that much the overall difference is really not that much but yet they are reducing my bursary by over a grand! plus im going to be on placement more this year so it just doesnt add up.
feel like crying lol
How on earth did they work that out :O Hopefully I'll be applying independently, hope it all works out.

(Original post by Crystal Snowflake)
I'm applying to be a nurse, does that mean i still need to apply for the bursary?
Yes, you apply for Bursary. But the ball is in their court for now - they have to issue you with a number and such so that you CAN apply.
malibulucy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
honestly i dont know what they did but i am not a happy camper about it! take a couple hundred off me fine, take a grand off me and i am officially so stuck! i only just managed to get by this year so who knows what is going to happen!
I am just trying to save as much as i can this summer but its not going to be easy.

Wish wish wish they took me as independantly, i havent had anything off the parents since i was 18 - am now nearly 23 but since they dont count uni as being independant i was a year short i somehow dont think it is too fair though but hey ho.

x
Crystal Snowflake
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by suek)
Yes, you apply for Bursary. But the ball is in their court for now - they have to issue you with a number and such so that you CAN apply.
I got the letter with the number today.
Thanks.
suek
Rep:
?
Wahh! I want mine!
malibulucy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i dont recall actually getting a letter with a number when i first applied but them im in scotland so it may be a bit different, im sure i just registered with saas and applied on there.
ah well
there is light at the end of the tunnel however for me as the uni gave me £400 from the hardship fund so that can go towards next semesters expenses, it feels like xmas
xx
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (141)
41.96%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (107)
31.85%
I don't have an opinion (88)
26.19%

Watched Threads