Turn on thread page Beta

Another question in regards to my essay . . STI'S . . watch

. . .Ok, I understand that what im going to ask is a tad personal and embarassing for some of you, so I don't mind if you reply with the anonymous facility provided.

The question im asking is: how many of you have caught an STI? how much information have you had in regards to STI's? do you think if you were told about STI's in greater deal, you would of been more careful? Did you ever think that ''it would never happen to me''?

Just interested in views on the subject really. How society's behaviour is towards the subject or whether ignorance is still an underlying issue in regards to STI's,

Thanks

Never caught it and hopefully never will.

The question im asking is: how many of you have caught an STI? how much information have you had in regards to STI's? do you think if you were told about STI's in greater deal, you would of been more careful? Did you ever think that ''it would never happen to me''?
    I got chlamydia. Had plenty of information about them all and stupidly trusted a guy who said he was clean for a one night thing.

I don't think I would've been more careful. I'm generally pretty smart and yet for some reason it took me a long time to consider sexual health as seriously as it needs to be. I even considered myself pretty mature for my age at 16 etc, as most 16 year olds do, yet I took risks out of stupidity and self-esteem related issues about not feeling strong enough to just say no, I guess. But none of that came to anything.

In a way I'm glad it did happen because it's hardly the end of the world and it really opened my eyes a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    Im waiting on results as we speak!

Yes, Im very worried...I have only had a couple of partners and never shared needles:rolleyes: but I have reason to believe someone I was intimate with swapped fluids with a very dubious person before they met me And I seem to attract illness at the minute like a magnet, so I am stressed

Hate all this bull****

I've had chlamydia.

I don't think that any extra information would have stopped me getting it either. my partner had no idea they had it as they said they've always been careful (I believe them whole heartedly and think it must have involved either oral sex or a condom splitting).

I think the information out there is reasonably good, I did not panic with the results as from all the info I knew that it was completely curable and not something to be particularly worried about unless left untreated for an extended period of time. We both had the tablets within three days of the results and I'm gonna have a follow up test in a couple of weeks just as a precaution.

Never though 'it will never happen to me' that's why I have regular check ups if I'm ever with someone new. Although I do know many people with this mind-set, they too know all the info but do not believe that the risk of actually getting something is large enough to be a worry, particularly during one night things...almost like that 'you can't get pregnant the first time' rubbish.

Good point actually - people often fail to consider oral sex so maybe there could be more info when it comes to STIs like chlamydia. I either got it from that (though I had it down below, so I'm not 100% if that's how it works... :P) or the 'little' contact we had; he withdrew.

Of course, had I known he DID have something I wouldn't have even gone there. Hindsight is always 20/20 :P

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Good point actually - people often fail to consider oral sex so maybe there could be more info when it comes to STIs like chlamydia. I either got it from that (though I had it down below, so I'm not 100% if that's how it works... :P) or the 'little' contact we had; he withdrew.

Of course, had I known he DID have something I wouldn't have even gone there. Hindsight is always 20/20 :P
    How did you catch that? Was it a one-night stand?

ReputationRep:
    Never caught one to my knowledge, although I have had an infection in my uterus. The doctor didn't mention sex, or the possibility of it being an STI. I just got shunted off with some antibiotics.

I've now had five sexual partners, and never had an STI check. Yes, I have been very lazy and very stupid. I'm planning to go soon. I think to an extent there is a sense that because I'm a good girl from a middle class family, I won't get any 'germs'. Yes, I am being an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I dont currently have any STIs and I never have had one.
    Ive been very well informed regarding them for as long as I can remember through the efforts of both parents, school, other sources such as TV, internet and magazines.
    Ive always done my best to keep informed too, and dont have the mentality that it'll never happen to me- although having said that id never have unprotected sex with someone whos sexual history I didnt know anyway. Id have to know they were clean or there would be no chance.

(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    How did you catch that? Was it a one-night stand?
    Wee, details time!

We had sex once, but as I said, he did withdraw. Prior to this I gave him a bit of oral action.

Technically I wouldn't class it as a one night stand; it was with a friend, and pretty much planned as something we mutually wanted...

So as to how? Well, from one of those things, basically, kinda making the point that chlamydia is VERY easy to catch it seems. I'm not sure if it could've been from the oral - maybe you end up getting it in your mouth in that case? But it was from a swab from my vagina where it was found, so my best guess is from pre-***...

I wonder if most young people don't realise how easy it is to catch them though... as my experience shows...

(Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    I think to an extent there is a sense that because I'm a good girl from a middle class family, I won't get any 'germs'. Yes, I am being an idiot.
    I still consider myself a good girl. Had sex once in three years (was clean before that, I had been checked) and I wound up with chlamydia. Joy!

Wee, details time!

We had sex once, but as I said, he did withdraw. Prior to this I gave him a bit of oral action.

Technically I wouldn't class it as a one night stand; it was with a friend, and pretty much planned as something we mutually wanted...

So as to how? Well, from one of those things, basically, kinda making the point that chlamydia is VERY easy to catch it seems. I'm not sure if it could've been from the oral - maybe you end up getting it in your mouth in that case? But it was from a swab from my vagina where it was found, so my best guess is from pre-***...

I wonder if most young people don't realise how easy it is to catch them though... as my experience shows...

I still consider myself a good girl. Had sex once in three years (was clean before that, I had been checked) and I wound up with chlamydia. Joy!
    Yea, I had sex twice last year and managed to get Chlaymida too! Just proves how easy it is to catch

I really need to get tested. I've only had one partner but we've never used condoms (I'm on the pill) and I know he's had sex without condoms before. I asked him if he'd ever been tested and he said no and got quite annoyed that I was 'accusing him' of being dirty. We've been together 2 years now and I keep meaning to go and I've even bought a home chlamydia test but I just can't bring myself to do it, even though I know the consequences of long-term untreated chlamydia. I'm just scared I guess.

I really need to get tested. I've only had one partner but we've never used condoms (I'm on the pill) and I know he's had sex without condoms before. I asked him if he'd ever been tested and he said no and got quite annoyed that I was 'accusing him' of being dirty. We've been together 2 years now and I keep meaning to go and I've even bought a home chlamydia test but I just can't bring myself to do it, even though I know the consequences of long-term untreated chlamydia. I'm just scared I guess.
    I know exactly how you feel. But untreated chlamydia for one example can take quite a long time (longer than 2 years even) to actually do damage so really, the quicker you do it, the better it will be for you.

Best to get tested for everything though. Don't worry about your bf's "accusations" worry - you need to get checked out to be sure of your OWN health. It's not a case of not trusting him - I mean if he's had unprotected sex with people before then can he say he 100% trusted all of them to be clean?

1 in 8 people in the UK has or has had chlamydia now...

Just go to a clinic You don't need to tell him, but you really need to sort it out for your own peace of mind. Of course, if it does come back with something, then you will need to tell him. And if he's the unreasonable sort he might go on about how you didn't trust him - which doesn't really hold much weight when you point out that he gave you an STI. And if you're all clear, then you need not worry yourself anymore - feels great, believe me :hugs:

I got tested for chlamydia a few weeks ago, and it came back clear, which I was quite surprised about because I'd been with two guys (unprotected) who had slept around a bit. I still think 'it'll never happen to me' especially because I've never had any worrying symptoms.

I still think 'it'll never happen to me' especially because I've never had any worrying symptoms.
    Some STIs rarely present symptoms though.... I certainly had none at all! I only got checked just in case as I was entering a new relationship.

So as to how? Well, from one of those things, basically, kinda making the point that chlamydia is VERY easy to catch it seems. I'm not sure if it could've been from the oral - maybe you end up getting it in your mouth in that case? But it was from a swab from my vagina where it was found, so my best guess is from pre-***..
    So exactly how can you prevent it - getting scared here?

ReputationRep:
    How many of you have caught a STI?
    Not me, never had one.

How much information have you had in regards of STI's?
    Sex education in school was rather poor, was never taken particularly seriously be staff or students.

If you were told about STI's in a greated dea, would you be more careful?
    Despite the poor sex education classes, I know enough to ensure that i'm always careful.

Did you ever thinkg that "It'll never happen to me!"
    I think most people have an element of that attitude in them, careful or not.

(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    So exactly how can you prevent it - getting scared here?
    Well, easiest way is... don't have sex with people who have STIs! Personal rule of mine now is to be 100% sure on that one - the guy said he didn't have any but hadn't been checked since his ex. They were together a long time so he.. like many people I guess.. just assumed it was ok...

But yeah, chlamydia definitely can be caught from unprotected oral sex, performed on a man or a woman, though as to how rare it is I'm not sure, and as to whether that's how I got it, again, not sure.

And basically the other thing that is maybe going un-noticed is that in my case, he wasn't wearing a condom, which if I caught it the other way, would obviously have prevented it. (And no, I wasn't using withdrawal as a method of contraception!)

Really appreciate everyone's comments on this thread.

Keep them coming . . .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.