How many Case Studies do you learn in Geography GCSE?? Watch

_Mia101
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!

I just wanted to know how many case studies you need to know for your Geography GCSE. I do the exam board Edexcel IGCSE and I would please like to know how many. Even if you don't do that exam board any suggestion of the number would be helpful.

Also, if you have any suggestions on how to remember them that would be great.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
bump
_Mia101
Rep:
?
So... Does anybody know???
ChemistryGuy1998
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Too many.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Lol. But are they really that bad? Like, do you think it would be too much for someone who is doing further maths, triple science, french, rs, ict and the compulsory subjects? Also, do you think it is worse than history.

(Original post by ChemistryGuy1998)
Too many.
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Lol. But are they really that bad? Like, do you think it would be too much for someone who is doing further maths, triple science, french, rs, ict and the compulsory subjects? Also, do you think it is worse than history.
I took both Geog and History at GCSE, I found History to be more work and I took 10 GCSE's (including triple science) all at once so you should be fine. But I wouldn't recommend doing both Geography and History as I felt slightly overworked to be honest.
username3934898
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i learned 23 for aqa

obviously i didn't know which ones were gonna come up but yh
_Mia101
Rep:
?
I took both Geog and History at GCSE, I found History to be more work and I took 10 GCSE's (including triple science) all at once so you should be fine. But I wouldn't recommend doing both Geography and History as I felt slightly overworked to be honest.
Oh okay. Thanks so much. Also, is it true about how much you write in your history exams?
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Like, is there a lot of essays to write and do you really need to know the entire spec to get an 8 or 9 (entire spec including key dates). Also, do you have to know more than what is in your textbook.

Asking because I have to pick between history and geography (not able to do both because of options) and would really like to know the difference.
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like, is there a lot of essays to write and do you really need to know the entire spec to get an 8 or 9 (entire spec including key dates). Also, do you have to know more than what is in your textbook.

Asking because I have to pick between history and geography (not able to do both because of options) and would really like to know the difference.
Well I only got an A as I sat my GCSE's back in 2015, so not quite an 8 or a 9 and I really didn't know the spec inside out - I actually only learnt the bare minimum as back in my day our History teacher tipped us off to say what he thought would come up in the exam as he had recognised a pattern in the exam paper questions which paid off as he was correct. Yes I did write a lot in the exam but a lot of it was regurgitated from the textbook which I'd learnt the night before and half of it was absolute waffle to make it look like I'd learnt the content.

If I were in your position, personally I'd pick Geography as I found it much more enjoyable, especially with all the field trips and I also made up a load of stats in the exam which is easier to get away with in Geography (within reason - eg give a rough and common sense estimate to things) but it also depends on what you'd like to do in the future for A-levels and beyond - obviously you'd need History GCSE if you'd like to progress onto A-level or if your considering a subject such as PPE at University or something humanities based it would be good to have History.
Jos371371
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did GCSE Geography and got a 9, I found making flashcard very helpful with case study as there are a huge number of details to learn.
Don't look for flashcard online, make them, it really helps. And you might want to look at the spec when you revise just in case you missed something you need to know.Another thing about flashcard is that it is a lot more effective if you read the information, digest it and draw/write it out rather than copying from the textbook. Doing ressearch on your case study may helps with remembering them and give you a comprehensive knowledge on it as well.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Well I only got an A as I sat my GCSE's back in 2015, so not quite an 8 or a 9 and I really didn't know the spec inside out - I actually only learnt the bare minimum as back in my day our History teacher tipped us off to say what he thought would come up in the exam as he had recognised a pattern in the exam paper questions which paid off as he was correct. Yes I did write a lot in the exam but a lot of it was regurgitated from the textbook which I'd learnt the night before and half of it was absolute waffle to make it look like I'd learnt the content.

If I were in your position, personally I'd pick Geography as I found it much more enjoyable, especially with all the field trips and I also made up a load of stats in the exam which is easier to get away with in Geography (within reason - eg give a rough and common sense estimate to things) but it also depends on what you'd like to do in the future for A-levels and beyond - obviously you'd need History GCSE if you'd like to progress onto A-level or if your considering a subject such as PPE at University or something humanities based it would be good to have History.
Thank you so much! I have no ambition to do anything related to the humanities. The closest I'd get to it would be economics/ management consultancy etc. However, I do enjoy English (the analyzing poems and texts part of it). I think I will do geography. Thanks.

Although, I was asking some current year 11s about whether they went on a trip and I am not hearing anything about it. So I am slightly worried that maybe they omitted that part of the spec: do all exam boards do field work?

That was one of my issues with history and geography. The teaching isn't the greatest; it isn't bad but I feel like they may not teach us everything we need to know.

So, my last question would be which is easier to self teach history or geography?

Note: I know that history it can be heard to find reliable resources and our history teacher(s) don't do anything to advise us on that. But for geo would the textbook be enough? And can I make up/find my own case studies if they don't teach us it?
Jos371371
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much! I have no ambition to do anything related to the humanities. The closest I'd get to it would be economics/ management consultancy etc. However, I do enjoy English (the analyzing poems and texts part of it). I think I will do geography. Thanks.

Although, I was asking some current year 11s about whether they went on a trip and I am not hearing anything about it. So I am slightly worried that maybe they omitted that part of the spec: do all exam boards do field work?

That was one of my issues with history and geography. The teaching isn't the greatest; it isn't bad but I feel like they may not teach us everything we need to know.

So, my last question would be which is easier to self teach history or geography?

Note: I know that history it can be heard to find reliable resources and our history teacher(s) don't do anything to advise us on that. But for geo would the textbook be enough? And can I make up/find my own case studies if they don't teach us it?
I know nothing about history, but for geography i believe that you can make up your own case study as long as your have the spec so you know what information you would need for the exam.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Okay thank you! I will look into it.

(Original post by Jos371371)
I know nothing about history, but for geography i believe that you can make up your own case study as long as your have the spec so you know what information you would need for the exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads