The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiritsugu
I seriously urge you to look back at this in 3 months with a fresh eye (how ironic).

Either:
1. You're missing the point OR
2. You cannot comprehend the high-level language I've adamantly used OR
3. I've severely missed the point OR
4. You're lying

For now, let's just agree to disagree.

EDIT: #y u do this bro?

Are you high?

I quoted your use of ambitious, and then you are having a go at me for using the word ambitious when quoting you.

You need help.

ps and 2. - lmfao, move over loser
Original post by DillyDilly0121
If you

Most people are when they're young, but tend to grow out of it when they get older.
Reply 22
Original post by anarchism101
Because usually (though not always) the young are more left-leaning.

lol this answer is what I used to do in history tests when I didn't know the answer, that is try and milk an answer from the question by rephrasing the question in the form of an answer
Reply 23
This Future Learn online course on English could help you a little: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/explore-english-language-culture.

In the meantime, I would highly suggest you calm down and resist the temptation to embed your own perceptions of others through leaking holes of insecurity, without first getting information, evicting assumptions, and, of course... removing insecurities or at least accepting them and moving on.

Why do people actually talk like this outside of presentations, business etc... More importantly, why do the people who do talk like this all the time assume everyone else isn't doing the same because they're incapable of it? Are you aware that doing this just comes off as you trying to sound intellectually superior to everyone else?

To put it simply: Big words don't reflect a big intellect, just a big ego.

ps. Don't correct me on my incorrect use of 'big', it was intentional :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Jono*
Why do people actually talk like this outside of presentations, business etc... More importantly, why do the people who do talk like this all the time assume everyone else isn't doing the same because they're incapable of it? Are you aware that doing this just comes off as you trying to sound intellectually superior to everyone else?

Not even clever people talk like that. It's a phase and it's all about presenting as smart, whereas a smart person would want to communicate with the largest amount of people possible. I would also like to add that talking in that manner often replaces where a *shrug* and an "I don't know" would suffice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jono*

Do you honestly think that just because I've written with high-level language, which I think is perfectly understandable, that I think I'm intellectually superior to others? I can see why one would make that point, and sometimes rightly so, but seriously come on... Anyway, thank you for trying to inform me of how others might perceive my comments. Nevertheless, I am going to continue writing at a language which I believe is suitable - especially given the topic of conversation that we're having - university and politics.
because their brains have not developed sufficiently to realise their mistake.
Original post by ofdro
Not even clever people talk like that. It's a phase and it's all about presenting as smart, whereas a smart person would want to communicate with the largest amount of people possible. I would also like to add that talking in that manner often replaces where a *shrug* and an "I don't know" would suffice.

You're right. Most people don't talk like that. But many clever people could write like that - especially given the topic in question. I think the average 16 year old can comprehend what I've written with not too much difficulty.
Original post by yudothis
Are you high?

I quoted your use of ambitious, and then you are having a go at me for using the word ambitious when quoting you.

You need help.

ps and 2. - lmfao, move over loser

So instead of agreeing to disagree on what could potentially be mere miscommunication, you resort to personal insults?

Forgive me, but... I had expected a little more of you.
Reply 29
the left are known to be the progressive party, that's why Obama's slogan was 'change we need'. young people are pro social progress. if science changes or social science changes, then we want laws to change with it. the right tho are about staying the same, maitaining the status quo, which is why it attracts older people because old people don't like change, which is why Trump's slogan was 'make America great again' - as though going back to the olden days.

it's also the fact that one of the first lessons we learn as children is not to be selfish. parents and schools teach kids the importance of sharing their toys; that we should include everyone in our activities, not just some. and we should trust and respect authority. hence, it makes sense that young people are more liberal than conservative, since conservatives believe it's every man for himself. if we taught kids that 'it's every man for himself' we would raise incredibly spoiled children. who knows what the school environment would look like. probably more bullying than it is right now.
Reply 30
Do you honestly think that just because I've written with high-level language, which I think is perfectly understandable, that I think I'm intellectually superior to others? I can see why one would make that point, and sometimes rightly so, but seriously come on... Anyway, thank you for trying to inform me of how others might perceive my comments. Nevertheless, I am going to continue writing at a language which I believe is suitable - especially given the topic of conversation that we're having - university and politics.

Sure, but btw, "writing at a language which I believe.." doesn't make grammatical sense.
Original post by Jono*
Sure, but btw, "writing at a language which I believe.." doesn't make grammatical sense.

You get my point, though.

Besides that, I would have appreciated a solution rather than just pointing out the grammatical problem. Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 32
You get my point, though.

Besides that, I would have appreciated a solution rather than just pointing out the grammatical problem. Thanks anyway :smile:

"writing at a level of english which I believe..."
(edited 5 years ago)
People like to throw out ridiculous insults at young people as the reason, basically portraying anyone who doesn't like the conservatives very much as some sort of naive gullible idiot. It's a toxic argument that needs to die.

You do not need to be naive or stupid to think that governments shouldn't change the welfare system to systematically abuse disabled people, shouldn't try to remove hard won workers rights for the benefit of their corporate backers, shouldn't ridiculously underfund public services and should actually give a damn about environmental issues. And many university students are perfectly capable of doing research and forming their own informed opinions, you need to at that level of education.

This thing with people supposedly becoming more conservative as they age is down to people gaining wealth as they get older, so they get to the point where they have stuff they want to "protect", which they didn't have when they were young. Really wish people would stop dressing that up as people becoming wiser and smarter when it's really just selfishness.
Raises hand. I'll tell you why.

Because students are pseudo intellectuals. Get gassed as soon as they learn a little something. It's also university, the training concentration camp for conformity and brainwashing. Last thing, they wanna get jobs so "fighting the oppression" looks cute on a CV.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
People like to throw out ridiculous insults at young people as the reason, basically portraying anyone who doesn't like the conservatives very much as some sort of naive gullible idiot. It's a toxic argument that needs to die.

You do not need to be naive or stupid to think that governments shouldn't change the welfare system to systematically abuse disabled people, shouldn't try to remove hard won workers rights for the benefit of their corporate backers, shouldn't ridiculously underfund public services and should actually give a damn about environmental issues. And many university students are perfectly capable of doing research and forming their own informed opinions, you need to at that level of education.

This thing with people supposedly becoming more conservative as they age is down to people gaining wealth as they get older, so they get to the point where they have stuff they want to "protect", which they didn't have when they were young. Really wish people would stop dressing that up as people becoming wiser and smarter when it's really just selfishness.

I second this. I am tired of those ridiculous arguments.
I never got this sense at the two unis I studied at. They are all very Conversative (with a large C). I guess that comes from being solidly middle class.
Original post by RF_PineMarten

I third this as well. That plus a lot of university students want to learn and hence will engage with current affairs deeply from a vairety of sources. A lot of older people as well as young people not at university, tend not to do this (in my experience at least).
Reply 38
The ones I teach must not have got the memo.
So instead of agreeing to disagree on what could potentially be mere miscommunication, you resort to personal insults?

Forgive me, but... I had expected a little more of you.

A mere micommunication?

You were the one who falsely accused me of something and used that to lecture me. After multiple times pointing it out to you, you still refused to acknowledge it and turned nasty yourself. And then it wasn't a communication issue - you simply failed to read properly. There was no communication, I had nothing to do with.

Latest

Trending

Trending