The Student Room Group

Year 12 help! How to make the most of this year in prep for uni

Im hoping to study a medicine/biology ish course at uni (not exactly sure where yet as im also thinking of going america for uni) and i want to make sure i make the most of year 1w2 to make my ucas application look amazing. Saying that it would be very helpful if any year 13snor uni students could suggest how i can make my application stand out even further.

As some lil background on myself, i already have work experience both at some normal jobs (waitressing etc) which demonstrate my team work skills and ability to work with the public/under stressful situations (and other basic skills) along with a 3 day work experience course at a pharma and biotech laboratory that i will be doing in the upcoming holidays which i think shows my interest in the surrounding field of medicine and pharmacology. Ive been doing athletics at a national level now for 10 year (competitively ranked 13th in the UK for my event) which not only just sounds cool i think but can also show my independence, team work skills, perseverance etc.
Grade wise i came out with 2 A’s, 5 A*’s and 4 A**’s (converted my reformed grades back into the old grading system just for ease of explanation here) at GCSE and i dont currently have any evidence based predictions for alevels since i just started year 12 about three weeks ago. Im studying biology,chemistry,psychology and english literature at alevel and most likely will be dropping english after the AS.

Im also going to be doing a few online introductory courses soon enough (biology etc) to show my interest further learning and to get a better idea of uni type work. Obviously i know about reading lists which im hoping to read at least 2 books from for medicine/biology/etc.

Overall i feel like i know what i shiuld be doing in theory (volunteer work, uni open days or taster courses) but i still feel like im missing info/ not really sure how to get my head around everything. If anyone has any tips or pointers such as whether an EPQ is actually worth my time, how to find appropriate uni taster days etc id love all the help i can get :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest