Law oxbridge- lnat vs clt

Watch this thread
wantingp
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have a feeling i've ****ed my LNAT but there's no way of me knowing. I want to apply to oxbridge and i originally loved oxford because of the course and jurisprudence. I also liked the fact that ALL colleges were so old and beautiful whereas cambridge has some modern looking ones which i understand is a very shallow reason to reject such a great institution. I've since found that cambridge offers a jurisprudence module too so course is evened out for me, and i have picked a college at both unis. I'm wondering if the cambridge law test is easier for those who are good at essays. I felt that the lnat essay went well but it doesn't count to my score whereas in the CLT it will. the mcq was trash so I don't even think oxford will consider me . I also feel pushed to cambridge as statistically I have a higher chance of being accepted ( https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/ ) I have A*A*A* predictions and 5A 5A* gcses, do not come under any disadvantaged criteria.

Should i go for cambridge instead of oxford and how hard is the clt?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by wantingp)
I have a feeling i've ****ed my LNAT but there's no way of me knowing. I want to apply to oxbridge and i originally loved oxford because of the course and jurisprudence. I also liked the fact that ALL colleges were so old and beautiful whereas cambridge has some modern looking ones which i understand is a very shallow reason to reject such a great institution. I've since found that cambridge offers a jurisprudence module too so course is evened out for me, and i have picked a college at both unis. I'm wondering if the cambridge law test is easier for those who are good at essays. I felt that the lnat essay went well but it doesn't count to my score whereas in the CLT it will. the mcq was trash so I don't even think oxford will consider me . I also feel pushed to cambridge as statistically I have a higher chance of being accepted ( https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/ ) I have A*A*A* predictions and 5A 5A* gcses, do not come under any disadvantaged criteria.

Should i go for cambridge instead of oxford and how hard is the clt?
Pretty buildings are a really bad reason for making any sort of choice - I think you know that though.

Please don't fool yourself by trying to play a numbers game with 'statistics' regarding entry. It doesn't work like that. Your GCSEs are average for Cambridge, not great for Oxford but they're not the most important part of your application anyway.

You go for the one you want to go to, not one based on a flawed statistical 'analysis' of selective and incomplete data. Which do you want to go to - Oxford, Cambridge or perhaps somewhere entirely different?

I would say Cambridge, but then I did law at Cambridge so I would say that.
wantingp
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Pretty buildings are a really bad reason for making any sort of choice - I think you know that though.

Please don't fool yourself by trying to play a numbers game with 'statistics' regarding entry. It doesn't work like that. Your GCSEs are average for Cambridge, not great for Oxford but they're not the most important part of your application anyway.

You go for the one you want to go to, not one based on a flawed statistical 'analysis' of selective and incomplete data. Which do you want to go to - Oxford, Cambridge or perhaps somewhere entirely different?

I would say Cambridge, but then I did law at Cambridge so I would say that.
Yeah i know i'm at the low end of average for gces (i've heard 4-8 is average for oxford) but i was still top 7%(ish) in my school so i didn't think it would bring me down significantly. Of course buildings are a bad reason but you have to love where you live haha. How was the clt? or was it not in place when you applied?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by wantingp)
Yeah i know i'm at the low end of average for gces (i've heard 4-8 is average for oxford) but i was still top 7%(ish) in my school so i didn't think it would bring me down significantly. Of course buildings are a bad reason but you have to love where you live haha. How was the clt? or was it not in place when you applied?
Oh god no - none of these admission tests in my day. Just a piece of written work beforehand and a chat!
oxbridgelaw
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hello! You're right about Cambridge offering Jurisprudence - I did it just a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I was supervised by Prof Nigel Simmonds and found the course incredibly stimulating. It was the most rewarding subject I did (and I got Firsts in quite a few!).

In terms of the CLT, it's hard but doable if you get the right practice and proper feedback on how to improve as it's quite different from A Level / school essays.

Feel free to PM me if you need any advice, including about the CLT!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (64)
66.67%
No (25)
26.04%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.29%

Watched Threads