The Student Room Group

Coming Out

I have been thinking long and hard about coming out to my friends that I am gay, but whenever we end up talking about someone that is gay like half of the, just end up making fun of them and say being gay is just disgusting.
I don't want to lose my friends but I don't want to have to carry this secret around with me much longer. Does anyone have any advice?
Get new friends. Those guys seem awful. You can do better!
Reply 2
You may find it better with new friends if they are just going to treat you badly afterwards. They may not all have that opinion but pretend to from peer pressure so you may not lose them all if you came out to one or two.
They definitely sound like horrible people. Don't come out to them if you feel unsafe
Don't tell anyone when you're not ready; take your time, your safety always comes first. I'm 16 and I came out a few months ago (as bisexual) to two of my friends (at the time), and told them who I liked, I asked them not to tell anyone and *somehow* it spread around the whole year. At least most people were supportive of it, but I can't even imagine what it would've been like if many people were homophobic. You don't have to tell your friends, but then again is it even worth being friends with them if they're homophobic, which is a big part of your identity? Good luck and take your time if you're not ready, there's no rush to tell anyone 💚
Reply 5
Don't feel as though you're obliged to tell your friends, maybe tell your family instead.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been thinking long and hard about coming out to my friends that I am gay, but whenever we end up talking about someone that is gay like half of the, just end up making fun of them and say being gay is just disgusting.
I don't want to lose my friends but I don't want to have to carry this secret around with me much longer. Does anyone have any advice?

You can come out of the closet, but there's nothing wrong with not telling anyone; especially if the people around you are very homophobic. Your sexual orientation is a private thing and your not belhoden to tell anyone unless you feel as if its absolutely necessary. If i was you, i would keep it to myself until i find friends who are more accepting.
Only come out when you're ready, I mean I wouldn't take advice from me anyway because I'm 19 and still haven come out, my plan is to just tell family/friends once I've met someone. What I can say tho is, maybe find some new friends, because they don't seem like very nice ones.

:smile:
Reply 8
Only come out when you're ready, I mean I wouldn't take advice from me anyway because I'm 19 and still haven come out, my plan is to just tell family/friends once I've met someone. What I can say tho is, maybe find some new friends, because they don't seem like very nice ones.

:smile:

I was thinking that too, but how do you find someone if no-one knows who you really are and what you're looking for.
I was thinking that too, but how do you find someone if no-one knows who you really are and what you're looking for.

I know its really hard! But you could try a dating app maybe, I personally wouldn't coz its not my thing. Or just meet people who you have common interests in. For me I'm fine with telling strangers/ new people I'm bi but I just don't want to tell people who are close to, for now. It's simply because I don't want them to change how they see me or think of me differently, you know?
What happened?
Original post by iseesparksfly
What happened?

As always, I work up enough courage in my mind and then can't bring myself to do anything, so I am just biding my time until maybe I meet someone and my perspective changes
As always, I work up enough courage in my mind and then can't bring myself to do anything, so I am just biding my time until maybe I meet someone and my perspective changes

Oh, bless you. Try not to stress about it though, it's ok to wait. Also, maybe try to go to LGBT events in your area if you can, it gives such a sense of inclusivity and is just a lovely atmosphere!

Feel free to message me if you need some support!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending