Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,

Basically i've got a problem on my (windows xp) laptop. All of a sudden i stopped being able to watch dvds and read certain types of video file , eg , avi files. Apparently this is because i need to get some codecs or something? i've got no idea what this means and was wondering if anyone could tell me where i can get these "codecs" so that i can go back to being able to watch all video files and dvds again. many thanks and rep (although not particularly substanstial) given!!

cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Two options here, you can download and install 'VLC' player, which has LOTS of codecs built in, rather than being dependant on system codecs. Or you could install a codec pack, the 'K-Lite' pack also has LOTS of codecs, but they deploy system-wide, so you can use any media player to play back your files (it does come bundled with media player classic, too, which I think is the best video player out there). It's also clever enough to hunt for and uninstall old codecs before it deploys the new ones.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm

ReputationRep:
    ive had to uninstall the k-lite codece pack every time ive had it, causes me no end of trouble with EAX, suddenly everything echoes even out of game, think ive an incompatibility somewhere lol

ReputationRep:
    It's possible, K-Lite has LOTS of codecs in it. Might be worth you trying the 'Combined Community Codec Pack' instead.

ReputationRep:
    VLC Player is pretty good, plays everything for me, whereas Windows Media Player is always giving me the wrong codec message. The only downside to vlc is that it doesn't look as pleasant as all the other audio-video players out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -F-)
    VLC Player is pretty good, plays everything for me, whereas Windows Media Player is always giving me the wrong codec message. The only downside to vlc is that it doesn't look as pleasant as all the other audio-video players out there.
    Settings -> Switch Interface -> Skins 2

You can also download many skins from the VideoLAN website

ReputationRep:
    I think it's always worth having a good set of system codecs installed, but I always put VLC on too, it's great for testing for problems with videos as you can immediately rule out system codecs by using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vjyrik)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php
    Look for WMP11...this one might look familiar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vjyrik)

Oh ok. Cool, thanks

ReputationRep:
    i use firefox - i cleared private data AND also cookies. Now I can't watch videos on you tube. will someone help me plz

ReputationRep:
    Log back in? You browser uses flash to decode video from YouTube and does not rely on any DirectShow filters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J Darnley)
    Log back in? You browser uses flash to decode video from YouTube and does not rely on any DirectShow filters.
    i did log back in . . .but it still doesn't work. the title of the video comes up but where the video is supposed to be it's just blank white

ReputationRep:
    I also had a thing where all of a sudden i couldn't play most videos. It turned out to be because i had installed Samsung PC Studio 3 which somehow messed everything up. I uninstalled it and everything was back to normal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.