The Student Room Group

Is a fourth a level (futher maths) worth it?

I've just begun a level and am studying maths, chemistry, physics and further maths. The school I went for gcses to did not offer a gcse in further maths but the students studying the subject in my class (at a new school) have all studied the gcse, so I'm already behind. I'm finding it very difficult even already to juggle the fourth subject plus work, tae kwon do and will soon be starting driving lessons.
I'm aiming to go to a top university, ideally Oxford or Cambridge so is doing the extra subject worth it or should I replace it with something else such as an EPQ so I don't run out of study time for my other subjects and end up failing them or do I need to do this in order to have a chance at getting in?
Reply 1
Original post by CharisHeaven
I've just begun a level and am studying maths, chemistry, physics and further maths. The school I went for gcses to did not offer a gcse in further maths but the students studying the subject in my class (at a new school) have all studied the gcse, so I'm already behind. I'm finding it very difficult even already to juggle the fourth subject plus work, tae kwon do and will soon be starting driving lessons.
I'm aiming to go to a top university, ideally Oxford or Cambridge so is doing the extra subject worth it or should I replace it with something else such as an EPQ so I don't run out of study time for my other subjects and end up failing them or do I need to do this in order to have a chance at getting in?

What subject(s) would you wish to take at university?
Original post by ajj2000
What subject(s) would you wish to take at university?

Either a chemistry course or physics, not completely decided yet. I initially thought physics but I really love a level chemistry so far so not sure.
Reply 3
Original post by CharisHeaven
Either a chemistry course or physics, not completely decided yet. I initially thought physics but I really love a level chemistry so far so not sure.

In that case its best to check what the universities you would be interested in require/ prefer - further maths is pretty important for physics. Maybe less so for Chemistry. I'd ask the same question on the Oxbridge forums if you are concerned about this.

I think you are bound to struggle at first if everyone in your class has studied more, and harder maths before. This isn't a reflection on you. You'll probably need to work harder to catch up with the pace - maybe do more practice on basic questions to make sure you can do things effectively. Give it a bit of time and see how you get on - you can always reduce the number of subjects next year.
Original post by ajj2000
In that case its best to check what the universities you would be interested in require/ prefer - further maths is pretty important for physics. Maybe less so for Chemistry. I'd ask the same question on the Oxbridge forums if you are concerned about this.

I think you are bound to struggle at first if everyone in your class has studied more, and harder maths before. This isn't a reflection on you. You'll probably need to work harder to catch up with the pace - maybe do more practice on basic questions to make sure you can do things effectively. Give it a bit of time and see how you get on - you can always reduce the number of subjects next year.

Ok thanks for the advice
The further maths GCSE is just like half of AS level regular maths, you are not behind at all

Quick Reply

Latest